Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Apr 18, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Newbie2015
Getting Excited

Always wondered how they seem to get up in the attic. Under floor boards etc seem easy enough. But can they climb up walls to get in a hole opening ¿. Nor being a smart ≈≈≈≈ just curious
Newbie2015 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 18, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Newbie2015 View Post
Always wondered how they seem to get up in the attic. Under floor boards etc seem easy enough. But can they climb up walls to get in a hole opening ¿. Nor being a smart ≈≈≈≈ just curious
yes, a rat can climb a gutter downpipe

Next door had them in his loft, we heard them occasionally in ours ( it turned out they were getting through a small hole in the Dorma roof valley )

next door must have had them for 9 months, he really struggled

good luck with it

I spoke to a pest control guy who said that poison is the best bet, you can buy it on ebay is small packets, i put down 6 bags of it in ours, just to help nextdoor out
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 18, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by NewtoOrlando View Post
We found out where they were coming from as we never had a rat problem before, a house a few doors down had an Avery in the garden, and rats were attracted to the birds, they dug a rat run along the gardens down our road so they were clever and greedy!

You have my sympathies, I absolutely hate rats more than anything, hope you get them sorted!
My worst nightmare.
One of our neighbours puts food out in the garden for 'wild life ' and he also has an aviary. One of our other neighbours had problems with rats in their garden and had to get the council to come and sort it.
We had a bird in our loft before Christmas and that was bad enough. Hope you get it sorted soon.
birdiesX4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 18, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Momofboys
Imagineer

Momofboys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We had one a few years ago, our council do rats for free.

The smell was horrendous after, the council then provided "rodent deodorant" i kid you not.

I didn't mask the smell though!
Old 24 Apr 18, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
JoB
Serious Dibber

Thank you so much for all the replies. My local council just refers me on to private companies, think I may give one of them a call as I have no idea how they are getting in to the loft. I wouldn't want them getting back in.
I think I may go down the poison route too based on all your advice. It is good to know it is more common than I thought. All my neighbours feed the birds so I think that attracts the rats, plus the house is really close to fields.
Maybe I will forgo the traps as it will be me going up into the loft to sort out any that are caught!
Thanks again, I can always count on the Dibb for great advice.
Joanne
JoB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

Are you sure its not mice?.they can sound really loud too!..Rats usually go under the floor boards & mice usually get into the attic.its harder for rats to get up there so i was told!..We had mice recently and paid for the man to come out and lay poison,they never took the bait but left when the weather got milder!..It really freaked me out so i understand how you feel,but your definitely not alone!
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 06:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

I’m another who would recommend getting the council out. When we had mice they did a very thorough job of placing poison down and checking where they were coming in. They then came and removed the poison.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 06:50 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

If you have a rodent infestation, best results we found ( and we live by a small loch, where there’s lots of them) is when we got cats.
The only mice, voles etc we see in the house now are the ones that our cats take in to us as presents. Never had an infestation since we got them
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
I’d never try to fix this myself. I’d call in an expert every time.
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 18, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

i can concur a decomposing rat will stink your house out

i used to live in a miners terrace house and under the floorboards was bare dirt, you could literally crawl under the whole street if you wanted to under the floors

we heard scurrying / scratching a lof of the time, the council laid poison / traps etc etc

a few weeks later my house stunk i lifted the floorboards and there was rats nest with a couple of adults and younger rats rotting away

the council removed it but the smell was there for ages

its rank
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List