Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 6 Jun 18, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

What do you wish you knew?

I’ve booked our first cruise going next year to the Mediterranean on P&O Azura. It’s never really been something I’ve considered so I’m looking for advice from seasoned travellers!

One of the things I’ve been told is to take a 4-way extension lead along with crystallised ginger!

Are there any other useful nuggets of information like that?

Thanks
kateb78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 18, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

a few things come to mind...

factor in gratuities that are usually added to your onboard account.

read the programme that gets delivered to your cabin each evening - it lists all the goings on the next day. I usually take a highlighter pen to mark off anything I might be interested in so I don't miss them!

take magnets to attach things to your wall like notes, tickets, planner etc. I also have a couple of really strong hook magnets to hand bits on as well, as space can sometimes make it difficult to be organised.

Also make a note of departure time from each port as the ship will NOT wait for you!
Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise

Edited at 01:05 PM.
dee slack is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 18, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

is it a no fly cruise? If so, I tend to leave all my clothes on hangers when I pack so I can just grab them and put straight in the wardrobe!
Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise
dee slack is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 18, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by dee slack View Post
a few things come to mind...

factor in gratuities that are usually added to your onboard account.

read the programme that gets delivered to your cabin each evening - it lists all the goings on the next day. I usually take a highlighter pen to mark off anything I might be interested in so I don't miss them!

take magnets to attach things to your wall like notes, tickets, planner etc. I also have a couple of really strong hook magnets to hand bits on as well, as space can sometimes make it difficult to be organised.

Also make a note of departure time from each port as the ship will to wait for you!
Did you mean that the ship will NOT wait for you? I believe they will if you are on an official ship excursion that runs late but will not if you've done your own thing.

Mick
Old 6 Jun 18, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Did you mean that the ship will NOT wait for you? I believe they will if you are on an official ship excursion that runs late but will not if you've done your own thing.

Mick
oops, changed!
The ship may have to leave port on time (tides etc) but if you are on an official ship tour they are responsible for getting you back on board at their expense but if you miss the ship on your own accord then it's all up to you!
We were on Disney EBTA to Dover a couple of years ago and our friends were left behind in Dublin as their ship tour did not get back before the ship had to leave due to tides. DCL arranged to get them all back to the ship by putting them on the overnight ferry to Liverpool, our next stop, all at DCL expense.
Old 6 Jun 18, 01:16 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by dee slack View Post
oops, changed!
The ship may have to leave port on time (tides etc) but if you are on an official ship tour they are responsible for getting you back on board at their expense but if you miss the ship on your own accord then it's all up to you!
We were on Disney EBTA to Dover a couple of years ago and our friends were left behind in Dublin as their ship tour did not get back before the ship had to leave due to tides. DCL arranged to get them all back to the ship by putting them on the overnight ferry to Liverpool, our next stop, all at DCL expense.
There must be nothing worse than catching a train independently in Livorno to visit Florence with your passport safely in the cabin safe, missing the train back to see an empty berth where your ship was and you having to get to the next port of call - Barcelona - under your own steam.

I know that you pay through the nose for official excursions but it's a decision you have to make. The "riskiest" thing we do is grab a hoho bus which stops at the port gates such as at Lisbon, Cadiz and Ajaccio.

Mick
Old 6 Jun 18, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
We've only cruised 6 times of which two in the Med but from my point of view.

If you want to dress up in your LBD and DJ for the formal nights then do it. Equally if you want to stay in short sleeve shirts and chinos (men ) then equally just do it. I retired in 2015 after 50+ years of wearing a suit and tie for the office and a DJ two or three times a year for functions. The last thing I ever want to pack on holiday is a suit and DJ but others think it's great.

Are you sailing from Southampton? The Med itself is like a millpond but the Bay of Biscay can be a bit choppy. Forewarned is forearmed.

Mick
Old 6 Jun 18, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

Some great information, thank you both!

Yes, we’re sailing from Southampton. Part of the reason we’ve never done a cruise before is because I was scared of being seasick. I’ve decided I have to try it so hence the ginger tip! Someone else recommended Sturgeron too but I think this can make you drowsy. Fingers crossed it’s mind over matter...

Edited at 01:38 PM.
kateb78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 18, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kateb78 View Post
Some great information, thank you both!

Yes, we’re sailing from Southampton. Part of the reason we’ve never done a cruise before is because I was scared of being seasick. I’ve decided I have to try it so hence the ginger tip! Someone else recommended Sturgeron too but I think this can make you drowsy. Fingers crossed it’s mind over matter...
you might want to try the Sea Band, as it's drug free and works on accu-pressure. Also heard people say green apples work.
Old 6 Jun 18, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

We went to the Fjords on the Azura last year and had a great time. We found the evening entertainment to be top notch, though the venues do fill up early.
We opted for anytime dining and as a couple had to wait every evening for a table, one night it was for over an hour which we complained about.
The food was nice though and we had no complaints about that.
The ship has a nice vibe about it
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List