Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 6 Jun 18, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
feelingnuts
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

We stayed in Miami before our return flight and really enjoyed it. We spent our final day on Miami Beach before showering and heading to the airport.
feelingnuts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 18, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Gemsie0812
Very Serious Dibber

Gemsie0812's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I would defo stay in Miami - we just made our 9:00pm flight by the skin of our teeth due to traffic etc and we had left Orlando at 11:00!

The traffic was a nightmare, we didn't even have time to refill our hire car before dropping it off as we were late for our flight, so we got stung another £70!

So if time is tight make sure you pay for a full tank of petrol with the booking so you can take back empty if you need to!
I learnt my lesson!
WC 2013,2020
Gemsie0812 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 18, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

3 weeks ago, we drove down from Orlando before our flight

our flight out of Miami was at 4:55pm

we set out of Universal at 9am (8:57am to be precise from my photos data)
we used the turnpike all the way (with a small detour since kirkman roard's onramp is closed)

Made a small loo break and leg stretching along the way

Car was dropped off at Alamo at 12:46 (we had opted to return empty, so no time wasted refueling) so made the drive in under 4hrs with a break. That was on a Sunday.

that left us with 4hrs before our flight.

I guess the main issue is the time when the flight departs from MIA
if you happen to hit rush hours out of orlando, and again into miami, then you will need more time in the car.
It also depends if you choose to pay for tolls (turnpike) or save a few bucks by going the "free" road (which could become very expensive should you miss your flight ... just sayin' ...)

but with our flight setup (4:55pm LH MIA-FRA flight on the A380) we didn't see any traffic

here's the heaviest traffic we saw ( driving in the express lanes as you enter the greater miami area)

Edited at 10:14 AM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 18, 10:50 AM  
Link to this Post
7SeasSailor
Imagineer

We have driven down on the day and spent the afternoon in Sawgrass Mills and chill out before going to the airport. I decided to do my own thing on this occasion and use the I95 to the airport thinking that it would be faster. I had greatly underestimated the sheer volume of traffic involved in the rush hour at tea time and it was worrying when everything ground to a halt and all that we could do was sit there. 30 minutes later it all started to move again and we didn't have anymore problems but that single incident has now made me very cautious about what time I leave for the airport and the route that I take.
Old 7 Jun 18, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Ronniesmom
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thanks all. Not sure I’m going to consider Miami, thinking savings will even out by not needing a car if flying into mco and no need for extra food, hotel etc...
Ronniesmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 18, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Done it several times and always take the 27 down to Miami on the same day as the flight. Less likely to run into problems on this route.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Hodders
Very Serious Dibber

We drove down the day of our flight, but had the last one of the day, so it didn’t leave until after 9pm. I didn’t want to waste another day by driving down the day before.

We left about 10am and arrived really early. I think we had about 6 hours for our flight, as our friends were panicking a bit and didn’t want to find something to do on the way down, they just wanted to get to the airport.

I think if we were to do it again though I would probably go down the day before and do something else.
Hodders is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

We've done it both ways - drive down on the day, and gone down the day before and had a relaxing last evening in a beach front hotel.

We do now find it a really boring drive down, once we'd done it once so in some ways it's nicer to do it the day before then have it over and done with the day before. (as in as if going home isn't bad enough you have to do that slog down there ).
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 18, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
FloridaFi
Very Serious Dibber

We drove the same day last year. It was a pretty easy drive. We got up and got going, stopped for brunch on the way, and got there in plenty of time.
FloridaFi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List