Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 9 Jun 18, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

First ever dcl cruise. where to start?

So we've done Disneyworld for 20yrs+... we pretty much know the ropes.

We've booked for a western Caribbean cruise on 24th november for 7 nights and I've honestly no idea where to start.

We're not mega social and are pretty terrified about sharing tables for every meal with other people :/

We know we can book other more expensive options if we like for dinner? can we do that for EVERY dinner? should we?

Some people tell us there's a formal night and we'll need a tux, other people say Disney doesn't do formal.

Book Palo, people say, oh but not on a day when animators palette has a show on :/ how do we know?!?!?!

Honestly, i'm lost please, treat me like an idiot, where do I start?
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 18, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Peacemaker
Very Serious Dibber

I have booked my 1st cruise for next year, so new to this as well.

A tip I read if you are doing a 4 night or more cruise is to book remy/palo for the 4th night as the restaurants are on a 3 night rota so you would have done them all by the 4th night.

Dress up in optional, you don't need a tux, I think you need a jacket for remy.
Peacemaker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 18, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
tz0c0s2
Looking for my Ears

You will love it!
We have done 2 three night cruises on the Dream and will be doing a 7 night on the Fantasy in July. There is a formal, semi-formal and pirate night, dressing up is optional but lots do.
You can request to be seated alone or they will try to match you with others of similar family/age. We have always had our own table.
Palo & Remy are availale for an extra charge and lovely for celebrating or having some time as a couple. You normally can only book them for 1 night and a brunch.
You can search for you cruise page on facebook and get lots of advice, they also can arrange a private mixology class and gift exchanges which can be a fun way to meet new people. We also looked at some utube video’s.
If you are traveling with kids the kids clubs are fantastic, if not there are adult only areas.
Oh and don’t forget to book a placeholder before you disembark as you’ll want to do another.
tz0c0s2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 18, 04:37 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

oh wow great advice already!

ok so palo and remy are the special restaurants but I can only book 1 night at each?

we're both terrified of eating with other folks, we're not great at chit chat and I worry about awkward silences. So is it really possible to request to be seated alone that would take away a LOT of worry! when/where/how can we make that request?

Interesting about formal/semi-formal/pirate.. I'd really like a formal night but people have said there isnt one on disney? so there is actually?

and pirate night? oh gosh :lol:

I really really really know nothing
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 18, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Lee-Anne
Getting Excited

You can request through Disney to sit alone. We have done 3 cruises in the last 3 years and they sit you with people in the same kind of age range etc. I was worried and it has been fine. In fact I still keep in touch with a lovely couple from USA that were cruising with their grandson (Just myself and my son cruising)

For formal night I wore heels and a dress the first time. The second and 3rd time I just wore a nice dress and sandals. This was absolutely fine. Some people are in shorts and vests. No one judges haha.
There are lots of activists on formal night and photographers around. Even the characters have on their best clothes haha.

We have never dressed up for pirate night. Some do some don’t. Again up to you.

Honestly just wear what ever you want. You’ll love it.

Just a tip. Try and get on the ship early and take a small bag with swimwear/sun cream as your bags won’t get delivered until later and that way, you get a full day on board.

Book certain excursions as early as possible as the more popular ones will disappear.

If you have kids, join a fish extender group. They’re so amazing.

I have loads of tips but anything else, just ask.
Lee-Anne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 02:08 AM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

Thats a great reply many thanks . when you say you CAN request through Disney to sit alone, is that during online checkin? or when we board?
Old 13 Jun 18, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post
HarryPotterGeek
Earning More Ears

Mobile

I requested a private table during the booking process - you can also request whether you want first (I think at 6pm) or second (8pm) seating for dinner when you book.
HarryPotterGeek is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Lee-Anne
Getting Excited

I’d give Disney cruiseline a call and request before you travel.
Lee-Anne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Start by reading Bats’ excellent sticky thread at the top of the forum. It’s really helpful.

Also please don’t worry about anything. You will have an amazing time!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
hello! Welcome to the cruise forum and the VERY addictive world of cruising.

First off, take Gill's advice and have a read of the sticky thread at the top about DCL - that may answer a few questions you have and a few that you didn't know you had.

So .. deep breathe and relax!

DCL offers a formal night on cruises of 7 nights and more, so you will have one. That said, DCL is one of the most relaxed cruise companies and you will see everything from shorts to tux's on formal night. The only rule (for every night in the main dining rooms - MDRs) is no swimwear, coverups or vests (for men really about the vests). If you want to wear jeans, you can. Flip flops too or go for a suit - up to you.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend to book an adult only restaurant on a first cruise. The MDRs have their own shows and a different menu every night. Your cruise will be perfect even without booking at Palo or Remy. You will not miss out by not booking one, so please don't worry.

As for sitting together - I didn't think I'd like it either, but after 20, or is it 21 cruises (?!), I actually look forward to seeing who DCL have matched us with now. They do a great job with ages, sex and children (if you have any with you). Very often the children will end up as best friends and the adults stay in contact for years. But, if it's really not for you and you don't want to give it a go - contact DCL if you booked direct and ask them for your own table. They will do their best to accommodate your request but it is not guaranteed ok.

If you're on FB, search for Disney Cruising and join that group along with over 85000 other people. I do not recommend Disney Cruise Junkies FB site - steer well clear. Once you're in Disney Cruising FB group, go to their files and look up your cruise date - then join that group. You will be ale to chat with people who are cruising with you, some newbies, some oldies - but all sailing together.

Shout if you've got any other questions, but please don't worry - there are a lot of DCL fans on here that can help.

Joa

Edited at 01:21 PM.
Bats is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List