Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 16 Jun 18, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Hertz Car Hire - Clarification Please

I haven't used Hertz for over 10 years but rate them along with Avis and Alamo.

Now for next May I need a 23 day hire and almost certainly will be leaving the car at Port Canaveral for 7 days as I have non valuable luggage we wont need on the cruise and I can't be bothered lining up to re hire a car.

Brits prices are insane, Virgin and Andy aren't bad. Netflights aren't quoting with Alamo that far out strangely.

But, I can get a glitch with Hertz and they are doing a Cadillac XT5 for less than a standard SUV.
I have joined Hertz Gold but can somebody answer these questions please:-

1. If I amend the booking am I reading it right that I get back the difference and not have to cancel and rebook?

2. Are cancellations and refunds easy?

3. Why are some 'promos' Pay now only? Never seen that before albeit I will pay now.

4. Anything else I have missed?

Many thanks.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 18, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Ming
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 19
I can answer one. I have had to amend my booking as the flight times changed by about 6 hours. First time I tried to amend the price difference was huge so I decided to leave it as it was and just see what happened when I turned up early. A couple of months later I looked at amending the booking again and the price was a couple of pounds cheaper than I had already paid. I did not get a refund but at least I have the right pick up time.

Wonder why they keep doing the XT5 at such a good price. I got 3 weeks for £602.00.
Old 16 Jun 18, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Northerndave
Being a bit Goofy

Tom, was this on the French or UK site. Was there a code you used to get the price?

When I looked on the French site you had 7 days to cancel without payment, after that there was a €35 charge to cancel a booking.

Didn't see anything about changing a reservation, they may not even allow that.
Old 16 Jun 18, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Usually when you amend there’s a box checked that says about keeping original rate so I don’t think it’s like Alamo where you just keep changing when you see it cheaper. I’ve tried unchecking that box before but it was greyed out so I couldn’t. To be honest, I’ve only ever upgraded before so no idea about refunds. I’ve also never cancelled but there is a cancellation charge.

When we booked with a glitch we were expecting a Mercedes GL450 and got an Infiniti QX80 so there’s the chance you won’t get what you booked specifically. Remember they also tried to charge me the full fee at the exit barrier.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 18, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Sallee45
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I haven't used Hertz for over 10 years but rate them along with Avis and Alamo.

Now for next May I need a 23 day hire and almost certainly will be leaving the car at Port Canaveral for 7 days as I have non valuable luggage we wont need on the cruise and I can't be bothered lining up to re hire a car.

Brits prices are insane, Virgin and Andy aren't bad. Netflights aren't quoting with Alamo that far out strangely.

But, I can get a glitch with Hertz and they are doing a Cadillac XT5 for less than a standard SUV.
I have joined Hertz Gold but can somebody answer these questions please:-

1. If I amend the booking am I reading it right that I get back the difference and not have to cancel and rebook?

2. Are cancellations and refunds easy?

3. Why are some 'promos' Pay now only? Never seen that before albeit I will pay now.

4. Anything else I have missed?

Many thanks.
Sorry who is Andy seen his name a few times reference car rental
Sallee45 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 18, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
mossyflossy
Imagineer

mossyflossy's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Here's some observations,

Like Alamo, Hertz offer buy now or pay at destination.

Don't know about cancelling and rebooking, we never did this.

We haven't used them for a few years, but we have always done pay now.

We also used them at Port Canaverel to drop car off pre-cruise and pick up another car after a cruise: they have shuttle vans to ferry you to and fro, although it's easier to drop bags and people at cruiseport and just the driver return the car and get shuttle back over, same on disembarking.

I believe spouses are also covered to drive without being a named additional driver.

There are often discount codes you can find eg. paying by Mastercard, being a Costco member etc.

Quidco offers cashback on UK site.

[Sallee45, Andy is from Florida Discount Car Hire]
mossyflossy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 18, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Northerndave View Post
Tom, was this on the French or UK site. Was there a code you used to get the price?

When I looked on the French site you had 7 days to cancel without payment, after that there was a €35 charge to cancel a booking.

Didn't see anything about changing a reservation, they may not even allow that.
Dave. The Hertz UK site. I had some promo code through from some site where I get codes everyday. Maybe VoucherCodes?

I used 852252

Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 18, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
Usually when you amend there’s a box checked that says about keeping original rate so I don’t think it’s like Alamo where you just keep changing when you see it cheaper. I’ve tried unchecking that box before but it was greyed out so I couldn’t. To be honest, I’ve only ever upgraded before so no idea about refunds. I’ve also never cancelled but there is a cancellation charge.

When we booked with a glitch we were expecting a Mercedes GL450 and got an Infiniti QX80 so there’s the chance you won’t get what you booked specifically. Remember they also tried to charge me the full fee at the exit barrier.
Lisa. Thanks for that. I remember your issue from last year or the year before.

I don't really care what I get as long as it's an SUV of some description as I cannot bend and get in a saloon anymore sadly.

Old 16 Jun 18, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Sallee45 View Post
Sorry who is Andy seen his name a few times reference car rental
Andy runs the company discountfloridacarhire. He advertises on here. Good Guy and helps out a lot.

Old 16 Jun 18, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by mossyflossy View Post
Here's some observations,

Like Alamo, Hertz offer buy now or pay at destination.

Don't know about cancelling and rebooking, we never did this.

We haven't used them for a few years, but we have always done pay now.

We also used them at Port Canaverel to drop car off pre-cruise and pick up another car after a cruise: they have shuttle vans to ferry you to and fro, although it's easier to drop bags and people at cruiseport and just the driver return the car and get shuttle back over, same on disembarking.

I believe spouses are also covered to drive without being a named additional driver.

There are often discount codes you can find eg. paying by Mastercard, being a Costco member etc.

Quidco offers cashback on UK site.

[Sallee45, Andy is from Florida Discount Car Hire]
Thank you. Mmm, minibus from their depot to the Disney quay, will have to mull that over.

The chances of my Wife driving in the UK is nil! The chances of her driving in the US are slightly less than nil. Her expression is 'I dont keep a dog and bark myself'