Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jun 18, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
jcarter
Proud to wear my Ears

Travel Insurance query re excess

We have recently returned from Turkey and unfortunately one of our relatives suffered food poisoning at an all inclusive hotel where we stayed. The doctor at the hotel was brilliant and so were the staff at the hospital and Nationwide who we have our travel insurance with.
We had been told by Nationwide that we would have to pay the excess of £50 direct to the Clinic. When we spoke to the Clinic they said yes there is an excess but we don't have to pay it which rather confused us.
I just wondered if anyone on here has been in a similar situation. We have only ever claimed on our travel policy twice in nearly 40 years, once for damaged luggage and the other when our son fractured his knee. On both occasions, excesses were applicable which we paid. It seems very strange that we have not had to pay the excess on this occasion and wonder why we have not been asked to pay this. Any comments/advice would be welcome if you have been in a similar situation. TIA
jcarter is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 18, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Fatboyslick
Apprentice Imagineer

Fatboyslick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Did you go back to Nationwide and tell them the clinic wouldn't take the payment?
Feels like a bit of a red herring and someone has given you wrong information as there's no way Insurance would turn down a payment

Disney Land... Disney Land Paris
May14, Sep15... Mar17
Fatboyslick is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 18, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Mo&Chris
VIP Dibber

When we had a travel claim in Florida though Nationwide, we paid the bill at the urgent care clinic up front, then claimed when we got home - got payment minus the value of the excess.

/Mo
Mo&Chris is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
jcarter
Proud to wear my Ears

Yes we have informed Nationwide that the clinic did not take the excess. They did not comment. They haven't received the bill or medical report from the clinic as yet which seems strange as this was over 10 days ago. We need the medical report in order to sue Thomas Cook so hopefully this will be received soon.
jcarter is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by jcarter View Post
Yes we have informed Nationwide that the clinic did not take the excess. They did not comment. They haven't received the bill or medical report from the clinic as yet which seems strange as this was over 10 days ago. We need the medical report in order to sue Thomas Cook so hopefully this will be received soon.
What are you sueing for if your insurance are covering costs?
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
jcarter
Proud to wear my Ears

for food poisoning
Old 20 Jun 18, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
mouli1
Imagineer

mouli1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
consequential loss , loss of enjoyment etc

[R]
mouli1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 07:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

I still don't get it. How long were they ill? You pay insurance, which you're claiming on so that will cover your losses.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
I still don't get it. How long were they ill? You pay insurance, which you're claiming on so that will cover your losses.
They are not suing the insurance company for losses. The insurance will cover their FINANCIAL Losses. ( apart from excess)
What they will be suing the tour operator for is for having to spend time at hospitals etc and actually being ill when then had aid hundreds / thousands to be on holiday enjoying themselves , and that enjoyment was taken from them
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
jcarter
Proud to wear my Ears

Exactly Buryboy! Very well explained Buryboy and I could not have put it better myself so thank you for taking the time to post on this point.
Going back to my original question though has anyone been in a similar position as regards the excess?