Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Jun 18, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Any Glasgow Rangers fans ? Friendly with Bury

Hi there
Well Friday 6th July is Stevie G's opening game in charge , and the mighty Bury are the visitors
So tickets bought , but we will be VERY tight for time.
My son finishes school in Bury at 3.15 . My mate, whose son goes to school with my son, reckons we can get to the game without needing an excuse to leave school early.
Google maps set now says 3 hours 32 , so allowing 3 minutes to get out, that would be 6.50pm driving with no rush hour traffic. 207 miles

The game kicks off at 715 ( hmm why not 745 ?)

What are our chances. I suspect my mates dad may drive at 80 rather than 70 so we might gain a bit back, but surely Friday night traffic on the motorway , the obvious congestion around the ground, getting a car parking spot , and walking to the ground would be way more than 25 minutes !

Any hints on where to park so near to kick off , ( the football ground guide says there is plenty of street parking but mentions Albion st car park ) , how long it is likely to take from say the A71 at Swinhill to actually walking through the turnstile ?

Are we dreaming in getting there for kick off leaving north bury at 3.15 ?
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads

Edited at 09:49 PM.
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 18, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
adsy198
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Up the shakers!
adsy198 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 18, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Buzz n' Piglet
Imagineer

You will struggle for a parking space if you arrive close to kick off.

Normally need a permit to use the albion car park.

There is an industrial estate at the bottom of helen st that you should get in, but its a 15 minute walk to the ground.

You should leave early to avoid any panic. Also the main stand really is a fantastic building that yoy should take time to admire. Not many football stadiums in the UK left with such a distinguished look.

Waa designed by a chap call Archibald Leitch, who also designed Goodison Parks maim stand.
Buzz n' Piglet is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 18, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

The A71 Swinhill is at Larkhall were we are DH says you'd need to be here by 5/45 you won't need to come off at Swinhill but continue all the way on the M74 following signs for Glasgow airport traffic can be a nightmare at that time on anynightnnever mind for the game
Helen
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 18, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Thanks buzz and Helen. Helen, I realise we need to just carry on the M74 at Swinhill, was just using it as an obvious reference point as getting to there should be fairly plain sailing and easy to predict . It was those last miles I am really looking for info on.
Google maps says 3 hours 8 to Swinhill, so a 237 leave to get there for 545. ( even leaving now at 945 pm)
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 18, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Don’t forget you’ve got a league cup game at the World famous City Ground to get to as well
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 18, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Did you get your match ticket from Bury. The reason I ask is because whenever we've played up there in the CL we have been allowed to park in the car park directly behind the away end on production of our match ticket...might be worth checking that option out beforehand
coggie is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 18, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Buzz n' Piglet View Post
You will struggle for a parking space if you arrive close to kick off.

Normally need a permit to use the albion car park.

There is an industrial estate at the bottom of helen st that you should get in, but its a 15 minute walk to the ground.

You should leave early to avoid any panic. Also the main stand really is a fantastic building that yoy should take time to admire. Not many football stadiums in the UK left with such a distinguished look.

Waa designed by a chap call Archibald Leitch, who also designed Goodison Parks maim stand.
Totally agree about the main stand. In fact I was fortunate enough to have a tour of there by Walter Smith and Archie Knox when they were there and inside is incredible too
coggie is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 18, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
Don’t forget you’ve got a league cup game at the World famous City Ground to get to as well
Don't worry it's pencilled in. I've been racking my brains to remember if I went when we last played there in 1998 , but don't think I did, so it will be a new ground to tick off. I still have nightmares about the 0-7 when we last played you in the cup in 1980. Raimondo ponte hat trick if I remember that correctly

We've got friendlies at home against Liverpool , Huddersfield and then Everton to think about before the season starts.
Have a feeling pre season is going to be better than the actual season
Old 19 Jun 18, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Team Jeans
Imagineer

Look at street parking off Helen Street - Bunessen Street etc. My husband usually parks over there. There is also an Asda, KFC, which obviously have restrictions on match days, but probably not that evening, stick a wee note up saying flat battery or something. Private companies can't enforce penalties in Scotland, only council or police

Assuming "away" fans will be Broomloan Road stand, this is the closest side for you too and easiest access on and off M8.