Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Jun 18, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
BarrettFamily
VIP Dibber

Places to live near Colchester

DH is looking at a job in Colchester which would mean us moving from Newbury. I do not know the area at all. I would like a 4 bed detached type property. Rural more than town. Can anyone suggest the areas we should look or avoid if he decides he likes the job?
WDW All Stars Movies 2001- 10th Anniversary
WDW Carribean Beach Resort 2006
WDW All Stars Music 2008
WDW Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa 2018 - 50th Birthday Celebration with Mum.
BarrettFamily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

If you can afford it, Dedham, Stoke by Nayland, Stratford St Mary are all lovely rural villages near to Colchester.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Wivenhoe is a nice spot on the river
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

I used to live on Mersea Island - loved it and want to retire there when I am older
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Lmjenk
Serious Dibber

I live around 20 mins drive from Colchester in a very rural area close to Earls Colne. I would suggest Coggeshall, Bures, Earls Colne and Nayland and all the surrounding areas from them are worth a look if you like rural/village life but still want an easy commute to work
Apr 2016 1nt HRH, 14nt Virgin Villa, 3nt Disney Cruise
Aug 2019 Our first California Road Trip
Lmjenk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 06:26 PM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

I lived in Rowhedge for 3 years and opposite Colchester hospital for over 10 years.

I now live in county Durham and would never go back.

If you have to live there then probably somewhere like East Bergholt.
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

I have ties to this area but now live in Chelmsford but can recommend West Bergholt which is near enough to Colchester but is more rural itself and has a thriving community and some lovely walks in the surrounding areas.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post

op, do you know where roughly he will be working?
just compared to most places ive been, the traffic in Colchester is horrendous at times. Ive been to central Leicester, Birmingham & Nottingham and none are anywhere near as bad as Colchester.
There are so many wonderful places to live. I prefer places like copford, Stanway & Eight Ash green. Theyre not too far from the busy retail area of Stanway-which is due a new shopping centre within the next few years. Also the Zoos not too far away.
I lived in West Bergholt for years and it is a lovely village but there isn't much there except for a couple of shops and pubs. I always think of what you need and in West Bergholt it was a pain having to go miles for a chippy, Chinese, hairdressers or anything like that.
The areas surrounding it are lovely too- Great Horkesley, Earls colne, Dedham, Nayland, Stoke by Nayland etc.
Lots of people like to live in Manningtree, which is about a 20 min drive from Colchester.

Originally Posted by barryp1 View Post
I lived in Rowhedge for 3 years and opposite Colchester hospital for over 10 years.

I now live in county Durham and would never go back.

If you have to live there then probably somewhere like East Bergholt.
Weird I lived opposite the hospital too. only for a couple of years in 1992- I think.

Op, Im jealous as I want to move 'Home' but since weve left, weve been out priced the Colchester Market.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 18, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
*supersal*
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Originally Posted by NickyMouse View Post
op, do you know where roughly he will be working?
just compared to most places ive been, the traffic in Colchester is horrendous at times. Ive been to central Leicester, Birmingham & Nottingham and none are anywhere near as bad as Colchester.
There are so many wonderful places to live. I prefer places like copford, Stanway & Eight Ash green. Theyre not too far from the busy retail area of Stanway-which is due a new shopping centre within the next few years. Also the Zoos not too far away.
I lived in West Bergholt for years and it is a lovely village but there isn't much there except for a couple of shops and pubs. I always think of what you need and in West Bergholt it was a pain having to go miles for a chippy, Chinese, hairdressers or anything like that.
The areas surrounding it are lovely too- Great Horkesley, Earls colne, Dedham, Nayland, Stoke by Nayland etc.
Lots of people like to live in Manningtree, which is about a 20 min drive from Colchester.
Completely agree with all of the above.
The west side is though to be ‘nicer’ than the east side. I’m in Marks Tey. We have train links to London (which some other areas don’t with out a bus ride first) but there’s not much in the way of shops without driving/bus.

Will schools be important to you?

Somewhere like Halstead might be good for you. It’s abpit a 20-30 min drive and is cheaper as there are no rail links but it’s a nice town. Several schools, shops, restaurants etc.

Edited at 09:24 PM.
*supersal* is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post

I was trying to think of a village that used to be very lovely near Colchester. I had a friend who lived there and it was lovely.
Layer-De-La-Haye.

We relocated from Colchester years ago, If I could go back and choose again. I wouldn't have left.
One main thing for me, is having no family close by.
Im from a big family and Ive missed most of my nieces & nephews growing up.

Ive just mentioned this thread to my husband. He said ooh what company does her husband work for? perhaps I could work for them and then we could get relocated there
He was trying to work out where the company may be based in Colchester. A lot of places are going near the football ground.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List