Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jun 18, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
MK_club1987
Apprentice Imagineer

Anyone here have a Huawei P20?

I am due a phone upgrade, and I have decided to move over to Android from my old iPhone 6 (the iPhone 8 prices are ridiculous), I do love the look of the Galaxy S8 and having used it for a bit thought it felt really nice, however I can get the P20 for £23.00 per month, £30.00 up front cost, which I think is really good for a 2018 phone.

So how does this phone hold up? Is the P20 pro that much better? I can get the pro for £33.00 per month, but not sure I want a bigger phone...

I can also get the S8 for £23.00 per month as well, so really it's out of the S8 or the P20.

Any advice would be appreciated :-)
MK_club1987 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
My DH has a P20 - he loves it. It takes really great photographs (he's into photography). He isn't really into apps or social media as he had been a Blackberry customer for years and mainly uses phone for email/text/calls. The battery life is good and he would recommend it. In fact my DS age 14 is thinking about changing to one (he currently has an I phone 6) and DD age 19 has always loved I phone but is really jealous of the great camera (in her case it would be for those perfect Instagram photos! )
Old 21 Jun 18, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

dont have the p20 - do have the s8 and all the s's of the past and they are great phones.

but if they both run on the same android it will be much of a muchness when it comes to operating - so I guess it comes down to features (mb camera over mb camera) or the ergonomic-ness of one over the other

2025 "Free Dining" Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077
papamouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
MK_club1987
Apprentice Imagineer

I am definitely interested in a good camera, the one on my 6 is shocking now. I have seen some of the photos the S8 takes and they are fantastic.

I guess I'm leaning towards the P20 as it's the newer phone out of the two, and really surprised I can get it for so cheap on contract.
MK_club1987 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Mo&Chris
VIP Dibber

My friend has the P20 - she got it, like JudeB's hubby, for the camera, and rates it.

I played with it briefly (read - set it up for her! ) and it seems pretty good.

/Mo

Edited at 10:23 AM.
Mo&Chris is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post
boltyboy
Imagineer

boltyboy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I have a P10 lite which is perfect for me, i have convinced DW to ditch her iPhone for a P20. We have tried it out at Carphone Wharehouse and its super quick has 128gb of memory, 4gb ram and a great Leica lens. We are buying it from John Lewis at £549 then going sim only.

2020 canceled - 2018 - 2015- 2012 - 2004 - 1998 - 1995 - 1993
Has it really been 8 years? - Trip Index
August 2015-Trip Index
boltyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
MK_club1987
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by boltyboy View Post
I have a P10 lite which is perfect for me, i have convinced DW to ditch her iPhone for a P20. We have tried it out at Carphone Wharehouse and its super quick has 128gb of memory, 4gb ram and a great Leica lens. We are buying it from John Lewis at £549 then going sim only.
Well I was going to look at buying outright, but the contract is £23.00 per month, over 2 years that's £552.00, with an upfront cost of £30.00, bringing the total to £582.00 over 2 years, not bad at all, basically paying £33.00 for the contract over 2 years, which is £1.37 per month!

That's unlimited calls, texts and 4gb data, which should be plenty for me.
Old 21 Jun 18, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by MK_club1987 View Post
I am definitely interested in a good camera, the one on my 6 is shocking now. I have seen some of the photos the S8 takes and they are fantastic.

I guess I'm leaning towards the P20 as it's the newer phone out of the two, and really surprised I can get it for so cheap on contract.
I'm really not into photography... could think of nothing worse than lugging a big camera around Florida.. phone point and shoot for me please...

Low light s8 pic...

Close up

Distance

Obv dibb will compress butbtyese files are 4mb plus when Taken

2025 "Free Dining" Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077
papamouse is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
scruffycharlie
Apprentice Imagineer

My husband was going to get the P20 after having Samsung for years but after doing a lot ago research he decided to go for the OnePlus 6 instead and he loves it.
scruffycharlie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 18, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Stephaniesays
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

My other half has one and I am so jealous (which is saying something as I am unwaveringly Apple-aligned usually)... the camera really is amazing- every time I put a photo on Instagram taken on it, I get multiple comments asking what the photos were taken on. Would 100% recommend if you are after a good camera.
Stephaniesays is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List