Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 8 Apr 12, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
shona
Apprentice Imagineer

Loved the food at raglan road, ate at olive garden and carabbas. I also got away with omelette at Golden Corrall but to be honest didn't check with them first but did have breakfast a few times and wasn't sick but it depends how sensitive you are.
shona is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 12, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida Gator
Apprentice Imagineer

Raglan road might be one to add to my list thanks, I have also found out that red brick pizza do gluten free pizza and apparently have special preparation etc to prevent cross contamination. We shall see, I will report back
Florida Gator is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 12, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Does anyone know if you can get gluten free donouts any where around universal and disney?
Thanks
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 12, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post

I think Babycakes at Downtown Disney does gluten-free doughnuts as well as cupcakes
Old 14 May 12, 03:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Florida Gator
Apprentice Imagineer

I got some glutenfree donuts in wholefoods supermarket, they were very nice (frozen but fine once defrosted!). Also from baby cakes
Florida Gator is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 12, 02:53 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsGrumpy
Apprentice Imagineer

Winn Dixie in Madeira Beach has gf doughnuts (just seen them tonight!), maybe Orlando ones do too?
MrsGrumpy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 12, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida Gator
Apprentice Imagineer

:)

I am back from 2 weeks in Orlando and 5 days in Longboat Key and thought I would write a quick update on my food experiences (I'm coeliac and can't eat Gluten, cross contamination is a big issue for me). I do have photos of my food but I'm not sure how to add.
we stayed in a villa but ate on-site and off-site.

Boma - excellent breakfasts, Chef Chris was amazing. He walked me around the buffet to show me what I could eat but was happy to make me anything separately when I worried about cross contamination. I had sausages, bacon, potatoes, scrambled egg fruit but best of all were the gluten free mickey waffles (said they use bobs red mill flour) and he also brought me donuts (kinikkinik apparently) and one morning even gave me a choc brownie to take for lunch (these little touches that make Disney amazing!). Fantastic experience...

Cookes of Dublin - I was soooo excited about Gluten free fish and Chips and I was not disappointed, so yummy! Server was so helpful, answered all of my questions and reassured me that there were dedicated fryers etc.

Raglan Road - we decided to try this for the first time, based on the previous gluten free fish and Chips I had this again such a treat, more expensive than cookes but bigger portion. So good that we went back again later in the trip. For me, just being able to eat fish and chips was such a novelty!

Outback - have a gluten free menu and seemed knowledgeable on cross contamination. I did, however, make ure that I spoke to a manager in every location with regards to procedure etc.
Lake buena vista - I had steak on the wood fired grill, plain jacket potato,veggies with no seasoning followed by a chocolate thunder brownie ice cream dessert (all gluten free!). We ate here twice and I felt fine both times afterwards.
US 192 Formosa Gardens - We also ate here twice, on the first occasion I had Alice springs chicken and sweet potato which was yummy. The server again was so helpful and even told us how they prepare it gluten free. On the second occasion the server was not at all knowledgable, his attitude was not helpful and I was worried. Didn't enjoy the dinner even after having spoken to the manager, the food was not great either.
Sarasota - brilliant meal, the manager was excellent and so helpful explaining all of the cross contamination prevention, his training and everything. I had alice springs chicken, sweet potatoes and veggies with no seasonings. I was reassured and felt so much happier than the previous meal on US192.

Margaritaville at City Walk - I loveit here! The gluten free menu is very extensive and they have gluten free buns! Cheese and bacon burger and fries (dedicated fryer) and they even bring out the food with a flag in it to signify gluten free. Excellent place

PF Changs - a massive treat because I struggle to find safe Chinese restaurants to eat gluten free in the UK. Well... I was not disappointed, GF options were great. gluten free is also served on a different style plate to avoid any confusion. Best thing was that I could have a starter (chicken lettuce wraps), main (Lemon chicken in a gluten free batter) and pudding! This was at the mall of millennia.

Ohanas - my most disappointing meal of the trip because my expectations were high. On previous trips I have had amazing food from gluten free bread rolls, breadsticks and dips to rice noodle creations full of veggies and puddings like brownie ice creams and even a chocolate melt. This time I had none of this and I was hungry afterwards, really felt like I had missed out. For starter I had a bowl of broccoli and some of the salad on the table which I was told was safe, for main I had a very very spicy (could barely eat it) stir fry which was full of broccoli again and for pudding I had one scoop of ice cream so disappointing!) it was a special meal for my family so I didn't want to complain too much.

Epcot Electric umbrella - very helpful manager who explained that there was a dedicated fryer for fries but all of the fryers are cleaned by the same machine at night so she would bake me the fries, I also had a cheeseburger on a gluten free bun (udis). I had to wait 20 minutes but gave me a free cup for a drink while I waited and being so sensitive to gluten means I appreciated the honesty. It was yummy too, gluten free buns such a treat again!

USA in world showcase - hot dog on gluten free bun (udis) and grapes, yummy. They also stock gluten free cookies and brownies.

Boardwalk bakery -had one of the packet gluten free brownies ( had been in fridge so was quite hard but I enjoyed it).

TRex - excellent food,chef came to table and explained everything fully. I had wooly mammoth chicken which is chicken in a tomato broth and mash. Huge portion but very nice.

Red brick pizza at the loop - I was hungry after a day at sea world (had taken my own food to the park) and I had read that red brick does gluten free pizza in some locations. They were very aware of cross contamination, they changed gloves and have utensils labelled with G , the website and menu both say thy have worked with a celiac association to avoid cross contamination. There is a wide variety if toppings available. I felt fine afterwards which was a relief!

When In Longboat Key - we went to the Beachhouse on Anna Maria Island, thy have a gluten free menu and I spoke to the manager, he told me thy would clean the grill before cooking my burger. I had a bun less patty melt and jacket potato, no seasoning. Pretty basic but I was happy with something simple but potentially safer.

Babycakes at downtown Disney - I love it, had cupcakes,donuts,mini donuts, banana choc chip loaf and cookies!

Publix at Berry Town Centre - great selection compared to previous years, definite improvement. I got everything from gluten free cereals, biscuits, snacks of all kinds, some gluten free ready meals to have at the villa. Publix at Anna Maria also had some gluten free frozen foods (udis blueberry muffins, cinammon rolls, vans waffles).

Whole foods - expensive but great for gluten free. I got udis rolls (fresh and frozen) and used these for lunches, they were very nice. I also got cinnamon rolls and so many other things to fill the cupboards, fridge and freezer at the villa. I know the gluten free selection is growing in the UK but I felt quite emotional in this store with the ease at finding so many options. They have so many things that we don't, the selection is just huge in comparison.

I hope people find this useful, feel free to ask if you have questions. If I think of anything else I will add it later
Old 30 May 12, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post

Wheat and Dairy (plus limited egg and soya)

We leave in about 5 days time and Im kind of sorted apart from a few questions (ok loads!).
My big MASSIVE worry is about my daughter (age 5) as she cant eat wheat or dairy and soya is limited eg she couldnt eat an omlette but if egg was in a dairy and wheat free cake she could have some. So egg has to be cooked in something. The same with soya eg couldnt eat a soya yoghurt but within something be ok.

She is also on meds, one of which has to be dissolved in boiling water - but I guess that will be ok to get water from somewhere.

We have booked the Princess lunch in the castle and I told them her allergies - so assume that will be ok.

Any tips welcomed - ive read the posts and they very useful. I just guess it would be easier to only have one allergy?
Anyone else had a few allergies and found it ok.

Sorry to be so nervous, Im sure youll understand its worrying when its your kids.

Thank you so much
Michelle
Old 31 May 12, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
NeverFixed
Trying for More Ears

At what stage should I contact the special diets email? I've made our ADRs but it seems a bit too far away to be emailing. What do others do?
1993 I Drive ~ 1999 All Star Movies ~ 2001 All Star Movies ~ 2003 Santa Fe DLP ~ 2005 Sequoia Lodge ~ 2008 Offsite DLP ~ 2010 Quality Inn & Pop Century ~ 2012 Quality Inn & Pop Century ~ 2014 Quality Inn & Art of Animation

Edited at 01:47 PM. Reason: brain to finger delay
NeverFixed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 12, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by NeverFixed View Post
At what stage should I contact the special diets email? I've made our ADRs but it seems a bit too far away to be emailing. What do others do?
When i made the ADRs i picked the option for special requirements and added it there and will just mention it on arrival

Tags
dining, gluten free, special diets