Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 32
Guidebook Reviews: 7
A MAGICal Adventure WBTA / Day 0 Adios England, Hola Barcelona! - 05/09/2014

We didn't need our alarm this morning, not because we were too excited, but because of some inconsiderate people either outside our window or in a neighbouring room making an absolute racket from about midnight until after we left the hotel for the airport! Why bother paying for an airport hotel if you're not going to sleep?! If you want to party, just wait in the terminal!

Anyway, we gave up at 4am and just got up. We were ready fro 4.50am, and went to Reception to hand in our car key. Our taxi arrived at 5am (pre-booked with Reception the previous evening) so we loaded her up and off we went.

Bag drop and security were seamless (we didn't get frisked or searched this time, which was a result!) and we headed straight to Garfunkels for breakfast. Service here was slow so it took around 30 minutes for our food to arrive which was frustrating. Anywho, Matt had a full house (full English) and an orange juice, and I had a full works bagel and a tea. This came to around £20 (we split the bill with Victoria and co so not sure of the specific cost!) and was very enjoyable.

20140905_061844 by nataliepope183, on Flickr

20140905_061850 by nataliepope183, on Flickr

I had a few bits that I wanted to get, so I was keen to get to the shops (not a surprise for me!) but it wasn't entirely successful. I couldn't get any Havianas in the colours that I liked in my size, I couldn't really be bothered to find a perfume as planned (I guess because we were tired), but I did buy (unplanned) a new Ted Baker purse (£57.50...I've been after one for ages but couldn't justify the money...funny how holidays make extravagant purchases acceptable) and also a new Ted Baker clutch (£62.50...double splurge...but I love them!). We popped into Boots to pick up some drinks for the plane, some chewing gum, and a pack of tissues (I was feeling a bit sniffly) which came to about £2.50 (can't remember, sorry!) before walking to the gate as our flight would be boarding soon!

IMG_3376 by nataliepope183, on Flickr

The plane departed on time but the taxi felt very long! Eventually though we were sky bound and it was a very smooth flight. We were offered a drink and a pack with some yoghurt & granola and a croissant I think (I declined). Matt passed the time by watching Avengers Assemble on his tablet and I did some Su Doku, finished my book, and listened to the September Dibbcast. We landed at just before 10am (on time) and getting through Barcelona airport was very smooth.

IMG_4904 by nataliepope183, on Flickr

I had prebooked transfers to our hotel from the airport for about £32 per family (split in half) with Resorthoppa which got us to our hotel, the Novotel Barcelona City ((paid £106 for the night including breakfast) quickly and safely (albeit a tight squeeze with all of our luggage!).

We checked in but our room wasn't ready (understandably) so we checked in our bags before heading off to explore. Beforehand though, Matt gave me my wedding anniversary present a day early as he wanted me to have it early...a pair of Bvlgari sunglasses that I had hinted were rather nice ) so I was happy with that!

IMG_3378 by nataliepope183, on Flickr

It was getting on for lunchtime now so we decided to head off for a bite to eat as we'd had an early breakfast. I had asked at the hotel where locally was good for tapas and the Rambla de Poblenou was recommended. It was about a 10 minute walk but we found it easily.

IMG_3386 by nataliepope183, on Flickr

IMG_4917 by nataliepope183, on Flickr

We had a very large selection of tapas, a jug of sangria, 2 beers and 2 cokes and it came to 75 Euros. We split the bill down the middle. Our selection of tapas included pan de tomate, patatas bravas, croquetas, gambas, pork shoulder, cured meats platter, and cuttlefish (amongst others) and it was all delicious! It took me back to when I lived in Spain! Yummy!

IMG_4916 by nataliepope183, on Flickr

IMG_4920 by nataliepope183, on Flickr

IMG_4921 by nataliepope183, on Flickr

IMG_4923 by nataliepope183, on Flickr

The plan next was to see some of the sights of Barcelona, the main one being the Sagrara Familia. I visited here some years ago but I wanted Matt to see. Google Maps said it was 25 minutes away so we decided to walk. I think we all regretted somewhat though, as Parisa was very hot and tired and wasn't really playing ball. However, we all agreed it was worth it, as everyone was very impressed by the beautiful architecture. We managed to pop into the Disney Store and Zara at Glorie on the way but was disappointed that there wasn't any Barcelona merchandise!

IMG_4929 by nataliepope183, on Flickr

IMG_4942 by nataliepope183, on Flickr

IMG_4946 by nataliepope183, on Flickr

IMG_4950 by nataliepope183, on Flickr

IMG_4954 by nataliepope183, on Flickr

This place really does have to be seen to be believed...the stone is all hand carved! Scott is a builder and he was in awe at the skill required to build something like this!

To appease Parisa, we stopped at the Sagrada Familia for a drink which came to around 20 Euros, and after some photos, got a taxi back to the hotel (11 Euros). Once our baggage was retrieved and we had found our way to our rooms, we were all appreciative of a little bit of rest time. Matt and I wanted to nip to the supermarket first to grab some water to take on the ship with us the next day though. It was 2.50 Euros for 6 x 1 litre bottles, and I took out some more cash while I was there as we'd already got through what I'd changed up (not a lot as we weren't going to be in Europe for long!). Matt had a rest but since we were meeting about 45 minutes later to go out for dinner, I had to get ready and sort out the bags for the next morning.

IMG_3381 by nataliepope183, on Flickr

At 6pm, we left for dinner. I worked out that a taxi to and from the Placa de Catalunya would be cheaper than all 5 of us getting Metro tickets so that's what we did. It was 11 Euros there and the plan was to find somewhere 'authentic' for a traditional paella. We turned into a square but I decided it wasn't 'real' enough so headed down some back streets into a further square, and found somewhere! Unfortunately, they wouldn't prepare a meat paella, only a seafood one, so that was no good for Matt but he was happy with a steak, and I had the paella. It was divine!

IMG_4969 by nataliepope183, on Flickr

IMG_4970 by nataliepope183, on Flickr

We let Parisa have a taste of wine...she quite enjoyed it! Lol

IMG_4980 by nataliepope183, on Flickr

The food was absolutely delicious and came to 40 Euros for us...I don't think they charged us enough for the paella as we were only charged the price for 1 person. I wasn't complaining though!

IMG_4984 by nataliepope183, on Flickr

We left the restaurant and headed back towards Las Ramblas where we all had gelato. It was 7 Euros for 2 scoops each for me and Matt. I had banana and orange (strange tasting but pleasant enough) and Matt had Toblerone and Nutella.

IMG_5012 by nataliepope183, on Flickr

I love Las Ramblas...moreso in the daytime but it's just so Spanish and I love the atmosphere! It was so busy though!

IMG_5004 by nataliepope183, on Flickr

Once consumed, we grabbed a taxi back to the hotel. It was 9.45pm when we got back but it had been a long day and we all wanted to be bright and beaming for tomorrow...the day we embarked the Magic!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
NatsyNoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Sep 14, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post

A lovely first full day! I love your Ted Baker purchases! I have the bag in pink! I also splurged at the airport lol!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 14, 07:01 AM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

I love that bag! Lol. I was torn between black and pink but I have a Dooney clutch which is white so thought black was a bit different! I saw you had a splurge at the airport too! it's the only way!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
NatsyNoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 14, 09:53 AM  
Link to this Post
disneymadhouse
Imagineer

disneymadhouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Yay you started! Looking forward to reading along

We stayed at the Novotel before we went on the Magic in August, it's in a really good location, and we found the Disney store too

1994 Lindfields Villa 1999 Polynesian/Disney Magic 2002 All Star Sports 2007 Best Western Lakeside 2012 OKW 2014 Disney Magic 2015 OKW/Disney Dream/AoA 2016 Disney Magic 2017 OKW 2018 Disney Dream / OKW / All Star Movies 2019 CBR
DVC Owner at OKW
disneymadhouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 14, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa29
VIP Dibber

Lisa29's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7
Restaurant Reviews: 13

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 344
Guidebook Reviews: 8
Great start!

Barcelona is a beautiful city, I would love to go back one day.x

MY TRIP AND DINING REPORTS - July 2023 Ten (Not So) Little Ones Take the Adults ~~ Onsite/Offsite Dining Report - July 2023 - 4 people - £168 budget per day plus tips ~~ Another Birthday Trip, October 2019 ~~ The Land, Sea and Wedding Trip Report, October 2015 ~~. Sept / Oct 2013 Five Little Ones Take the Adults
IG - Lisas29 and familyanddisney

00 / 01 / 04 / 07 /Xmas 08 / 10 / 13 / 15 / 17 / 19 / 23
Lisa29 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 14, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by disneymadhouse View Post
Yay you started! Looking forward to reading along

We stayed at the Novotel before we went on the Magic in August, it's in a really good location, and we found the Disney store too
Thanks for reading!
I loved the Novotel! If I ever go back to Barcelona (very likely!), I'd absolutely stay there, it's just ideal!

Originally Posted by Lisa29 View Post
Great start!

Barcelona is a beautiful city, I would love to go back one day.x
It's fab isn't it?! It's my second visit and I'd love to go back another time for longer so I can show DH the sights! He has Nou Camp on his bucket list and we live 20 mins from Bournemouth airport which flies there so it's inevitable!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
Old 2 Oct 14, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Great day some nice shopping at the airport

Joan
Old 3 Oct 14, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandosgr8
Imagineer

orlandosgr8's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Love the bags I always love to save some money to have a good spend up when we travel.

Lots of very yummy looking food today too, I love tapas and paella so I would have been in heaven

Orlando 02,04,06,07,08,10,11,12,13,14,16, 18 &
New York 06, 11 and Smoky Mountains 14
orlandosgr8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 14, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Chilly80
Imagineer

Mobile

Lucky you getting 2 handbags, my hubby would have given me the look
Golden Triangle Trip Report
Chilly80 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 14, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Great day some nice shopping at the airport

Joan
Indeed! Love shopping!

Originally Posted by orlandosgr8 View Post
Love the bags I always love to save some money to have a good spend up when we travel.

Lots of very yummy looking food today too, I love tapas and paella so I would have been in heaven
Me too! Airport shopping is fab! Next year we might be flying from Bournemouth, I'll have to find somewhere else to get my shopping in!

The food was fantastic! That paella...mmmmm. Hubby makes a fairly good one so hopefully he'll make it next week! Santa's going to bring him a paella dish for Xmas too! Not for my benefit at all!

Originally Posted by Chilly80 View Post
Lucky you getting 2 handbags, my hubby would have given me the look
It just had to be done...you know how it is!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index