Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Closed Thread

Old 22 Dec 11, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Family staying in a hotel, how do you cope?

Never stayed in a hotel with children, always been 2 bed plus apartments, so I am interested in how those of you who stay at hotels, or the WDW resorts cope with having one room and a child with you in the same room?

Do you have to all go to bed at the same time? what about "holiday romancing" :-)

Do you have to watch the TV with a cardboard box around it to stop the light and headphone son?

Yes I am being flippant, but I am actually interested in the hotel holiday option, just don't see how it works and you cope?
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 11, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post

We stayed in hotels 99% of our holidays with my parents from me being born to our last family holiday with my parents, me age 16 and sister age 20 so a LOT of holidays, European and US.
TBH none of felt that we had to 'cope'. We got on very well, and just genuinely had a complete laugh...even now we reminisce fondly about funny times together. We tended to all crash out at the same time at night as we did long park days but if one person stayed up they could read with a bedside light on/watch tv on quiet etc. Maybe we have just been very lucky we are very close and get on extremely well, I know my parents would never have had it another way as family holidays were times to spend together.
I do appreciate it does not work for everyone though and all families are different, I don't think there is a right or wrong, just find a way that makes you all happy
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 11, 04:32 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i honestly dont think i could do it. even without kids, i think i've been spoiled by staying in a villa. i think i would go nuts if i had to stay in a hotel room for more than a couple of days!
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 11, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
yellowmonkey
Imagineer

I am always asleep before my kids
Old 22 Dec 11, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

I wasn't trying to criticise, as I truly want to see how people cope, as hotels do have some benefits over villasm price being one, but I am not sure how we would cope after having a lot of room to wander around in.
I seem to remember when I was younger and trips to Spain and the seaside, we had two rooms.

I know lots of families do the hotel route to Florida, and I wanted to udnerstand how
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 11, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
elmspenguin
VIP Dibber

We stayed in a suite hotel with 2 beds in the bedroom, there was a tv in bedroom and in the lounge so we were able to watch tv when the little one had gone to bed and also she could watch cartoons in bed if she wanted to.
we could relax in the lounge when she had gone to bed. we ahd plenty of space and nice not having to make breakfast.
elmspenguin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 11, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
nickymouse66
Imagineer

We've done it lots of times too & have never had any problem at all, like pinkypominnie, we must be lucky, we always enjoy each others company & generally have a laugh - on our last holiday, DS was 17 & DD2 11, so DS shared with DH & DD shared with me. It all added to the fun & we all crashed together most nights through exhaustion!
Next holiday will be the first time in years that DH & I have shared a bed as only DD2 is coming with us, so she has the luxury of a bed all to her self!
Old 22 Dec 11, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post

The kids tend to go to sleep slightly earlier than us. We sit in bed and watch TV for a while before dropping off. On holidays like Disney we're all usually asleep before 9pm anyway - exhausting!

Doesn't particularly bother us all being together unless DS is sniffing all night! I rather like having all of us together like that.
Old 22 Dec 11, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
kess
slightly serious Dibber

We are a family of 5 and have always shared a hotel room with no bother.
We too all get on really well and I actually like that we are all together. We spend enough time 'apart' from each other at home that on holiday it is all about time together.

We as a family much prefer hotels to villas as my dh and I like to have a 'holiday' too.

As for sleeping, we are usually so shattered that we go to sleep around the same time and watching tv in bed doesn't really appeal to us so that's never a problem either.

We only use the hotel as a base and wouldn't spend days of the holiday there so I guess that is a factor in it too.
Old 22 Dec 11, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Warkman58 View Post
Never stayed in a hotel with children, always been 2 bed plus apartments, so I am interested in how those of you who stay at hotels, or the WDW resorts cope with having one room and a child with you in the same room?

Do you have to all go to bed at the same time? what about "holiday romancing" :-)

Do you have to watch the TV with a cardboard box around it to stop the light and headphone son?

Yes I am being flippant, but I am actually interested in the hotel holiday option, just don't see how it works and you cope?
Er no romancing when theres 2 kids in the room with you, We stayed in disney this time and it spoiled our longed for trip, I wanted to expereince the disney feel but we didnt get it, was actually more hassle, everyone wanting to be in the bathroom or at the ink at the same time, clothes all over that the kids have dropped, suitcases piled up, I like to go to the sleep witht he tv on, my hubby doesnt like it on. I would not recommmend it at all, being a a villa with your own space is far better. I wouldnt do it again not for a whole 2 weeks, theres not enough room to swing a cat.
Closed Thread