Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Closed Thread

Old 27 Dec 11, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Planaholic
slightly serious Dibber

Airport Hotel Prices for August

I want to stay at either the Hilton or Sofitel at Gatwick the night before we fly, as we normally do, but the prices seem very high.

I read that this is due to the Olympics - is this true or is it just the time of year and I should wait?
Old 27 Dec 11, 08:06 PM  
Link to this Post
halsall 1975
slightly serious Dibber

We have paid £93 for 3 of us to stay in the Hilton in August including breakfast which is great value and certainly cheaper than we have paid previously.
halsall 1975 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Dec 11, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
sparks1
Apprentice Imagineer

I think it depends what date in August you want to book. I've been looking for the 5th and to book the Sofitel for one night with 15 days parking was £320! A week or so late and it was less than half that price. I booked the marriott today at £260 simply because so many places were fully booked and I was worried that by hanging on I wouldn't get anything.

2008 - POR, 2010 - OKW & HRH, 2012 - OKW & HRH, 2013 - SSR, 2014 - OKW & HRH, 2015 - SSR, YCR & PBH, 2016 - OKW & Disney Dream, 2017 - OKW & PBH, 2018 - AKL
sparks1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 11, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Planaholic
slightly serious Dibber

I am also looking for the 5 August and the prices are too great for me. It's a shame as the Hilton was always a nice treat before the holiday but, based on the prices, I think it's going to be the Premier Inn next year.
Old 28 Dec 11, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
sparks1
Apprentice Imagineer

Premier Inn is full for the 5th. I looked at that before I booked.

2008 - POR, 2010 - OKW & HRH, 2012 - OKW & HRH, 2013 - SSR, 2014 - OKW & HRH, 2015 - SSR, YCR & PBH, 2016 - OKW & Disney Dream, 2017 - OKW & PBH, 2018 - AKL
sparks1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 11, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Alex - rumour has it that a lot of the hotels are block booking out dates in and round the olympics - if you can find a room then get it booked asap as I think prices around your date may well increase as time goes on. I have just looked on kayak.co.uk and there are some good prices still to be found - example: The Arora at Crawley is £71 and, according to my husbands son who has been there on and off for 2 year, is exceptional. Hope so as we are staying there on the 4th Jan! The Arora also has an entrance from Crawley railway platform or there is their own shuttle bus at £2.50 pp each way. The Travelodge Central, very close to the north terminal is coming in at £61 for your date. This hotel is currently undergoing an extensive refurbishment and should be open by early February.

There are other cheaper B&Bs showing on there too.

Good luck!
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Dec 11, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Planaholic
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Alex - rumour has it that a lot of the hotels are block booking out dates in and round the olympics - if you can find a room then get it booked asap as I think prices around your date may well increase as time goes on. I have just looked on kayak.co.uk and there are some good prices still to be found - example: The Arora at Crawley is £71 and, according to my husbands son who has been there on and off for 2 year, is exceptional. Hope so as we are staying there on the 4th Jan! The Arora also has an entrance from Crawley railway platform or there is their own shuttle bus at £2.50 pp each way. The Travelodge Central, very close to the north terminal is coming in at £61 for your date. This hotel is currently undergoing an extensive refurbishment and should be open by early February.

There are other cheaper B&Bs showing on there too.

Good luck!
Wow! A big thank you to you! I had a quick check around for hotels and there are some serious high prices and lack of availability for August but thanks to you I have managed to book the Arora through Holiday Extras for £72

The silly thing is that on their own website, and many others, it is coming up at £195 so a real bargain. Thanks again
Old 28 Dec 11, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
The Crowne Plaza we normally stay in is not showing any rooms for the 12th August. Really annoyed.
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 11, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Planaholic View Post
Wow! A big thank you to you! I had a quick check around for hotels and there are some serious high prices and lack of availability for August but thanks to you I have managed to book the Arora through Holiday Extras for £72

The silly thing is that on their own website, and many others, it is coming up at £195 so a real bargain. Thanks again
Alex - you are really most welcome. I do research so I am constantly discovering new info and if it helps others then I am only too happy to share that with others.

Not sure if you are travelling by train, but if you go to eastcoast.co.uk, for example, you can buy rail tickets from Gatwick to Crawley for £3 per person each way. It is a short walk along the platform into The Arora entrance.

Glad you got something sorted.
ChrisS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Dec 11, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread