Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 24 May 18, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

I'll limit this to my most recent trip, or there would be too much to choose from.

Best:

I'll have to go with the mummy ride at Universal. I''d always been scared to go on this but this year I plucked up the courage and WOW! What a great ride. No loops or anything too nuts but just the right amount of thrilling. Came off with a big smile to boot. Helped that we had express pass so the wait was about 2 minutes!

Second choice would be opening the curtain in the hotel room to see we had a perfect view of Hogwarts castle in the distance. Can't hope to replicate that without some serious luck, but we'll see for this year!

Worst:

Leaving Universal for the last time and taking the river taxi back to the hotel. At the time I thought that this would be our last trip for a long long time, and as I looked out of my hotel room at Hogwarts castle I don't mind admitting I was feeling a bit down. The flight home was a bit of a chore, as it always is when you have nothing to look forwards to as well. Luckily we're off again this year, and got a free upgrade to RPR to boot, so that's cheered me up no end!

Bizarre:

Sitting in the food court in the Simpsons area of Universal. I'm holding the table for my family, getting weird looks from the family next to us who have an empty pram off to the side. Bit odd. Parents arrive with the food and we start eating. Things turn weird when someone comes up to our table. Turns out the family next to us don't own the pram - the actual owner starts chattering away in a language I don't get but the insinuation is clear - it's "her" table. OK, fine, I didn't know, we've been here about 15 minutes at least at this point but she could be on her own.

Still, nothing was on the table at all to indicate it was occupied. Next thing I know, this womans family all comes back from the food court - at least 4 other people! They all start chattering away at us - we were all in the middle of eating our food at this point.

Why would you just leave an empty pram (with valuables on it!) away to the side of the table when you have a whole family, any one of whom could have guarded the table (they were all adults) whilst you went to the restroom. I just didn't get it. I'm a bit petty but I took some persuading from my parents to move and I was (and still am, frankly) not happy about it.

There were other tables free, but apparently they wanted this one and were not happy about us being there. I wish I knew why. Very odd indeed.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR

Edited at 01:54 PM.
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Pans
Excited about Disney

Best

So many to choose from. The one that sticks in my mind was after leaving POTC my son aged around 8/9 at the time wanted a pirate sword from the gift shop. Being obliging parents we of course agreed. Just around the corner was Captain Hook and Smee. Hook spotted the sword and a full blown sword fight ensued between Hook and my son. Impromptu and magic.

Worst

Like many illness can intervene. But it might also be the said sword again. We were having a character dinner when my son thought that perhaps Minnie would like a sword fight as well... we had a Disney telling off!

Bizarre

We were on the lazy river and there were some kids messing around and spoiling the enjoyment. Bad thoughts were had. Anyway we turned the corner and lo and behold one of the kids was by the side with a stonking nose bleed. Like a scene from Carrie. Karma or what?

Edited at 08:54 PM.
Pans is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
eleele
Very Serious Dibber

Best

Trying to choke back tears on my first ever walk down Mainstreet. Big baby!

Worst

Having to be rescued from drowning in the lazy river at Discovery Cove. I'm 44 and I still can't swim

Bizarre

A man sat opposite me and DS1 on our last bus journey to DS. Nothing bizarre about that but we got off the bus and I was taking selfies of DS and me infront of the Christmas tree at DS when a man offered to take a photo of us, it was the same man from the bus. Not weird at all: he'd just followed us off the bus. After about an hour of shopping we caught the boat back to Port Orleans Riverside, there were only three passengers: me, Ds1 and who should be behind us but the man from the bus! if this had happened in the Uk then my alarm bells would have been clanging in my head but as we were in Disney I was chilled and happy. Anyway he got off the boat at French Quarter so he couldn't have been a stalker!
eleele is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 18, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
kevin68uk
Helping Minnie

Best

It has to be my son looking after his younger sister on a slide in mk. He was 6, she was 2. Has never happened since and he is now 21.

Worst

Driving back from mk one evening and lightning started. In florida its air to ground, which we rarely get in the uk. I seriously thought my time was up yet had to stay calm for my daughter.

Bizarre

In the good ole usa there is a constant flow of bizarre but its our crazy friends from south america that amazes me the most. Unfortunately it borders on aggressive. The good old s american tour group
kevin68uk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 18, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Mike_Swannick
Helping Minnie

Best Memory

Lots to choose, but way back in 2005 whilst visiting EPCOT, we were engaged by a whistle blowing mime artist near Italy. He used my 9 yr old son as a stooge in his act, which consisted of some ball throwing and catching over ever increasing distances. My son never has been particularly sporty and it had the potential to go horribly wrong, especially as he lined my son up to catch a ball whilst standing about 20m away from the mime artist who would throw it to him. Well, he threw it, my son caught it and I couldn't have been happier and more proud if he scored the winning goal for England in the World Cup! And I got it on video. Not very exciting but very personal.

Worst Memory

Same holiday. When leaving the airport car hire (in the dark), the other family we were travelling with got lost almost immediately. This was before mobiles were as popular as they are now. We had walkie talkies and by good fortune managed to drive into radio range after about 30mins looking in the dark. Stressful start to a holiday.

Most Bizarre

2017, leaving the airport, turned off the 528 onto McCoy Road armed with dollar notes to pay for tolls only to find the booth closed and coin deposit as the only option! Ended up stopping in the booth until a fellow traveller pulled up to ask for change. He couldn't help and was in the same situation. Happened to look down to see the floor littered with dropped coins. Managed to scrape up enough to pay the toll
Old 25 May 18, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mermaidhair
Excited about Disney

Well I've only been once before, over 22 years ago when I was 15, and I don't actually remember much of it that clearly as we were only there for a few days, but I had a few contenders for the Most Bizarre so wanted to respond to this!

Best memory
Seeing the castle for the first time, though I think this memory may have been clouded a little by what happened just before (see below!)

Worst memory
Bottling Tower of Terror at the last possible moment. There were no FPs in those days and we queued for about an hour as we were there at spring break. And for the whole queue these guys in front of us were talking about theme park accidents and deaths, so I do think it was justified, but mean of me not to let my sister ride either. I didn't want to be left alone in America if anything happened to her!

Most Bizarre memories
So I guess it's the bizarre that sticks in your mind as these are the two clearest memories I have!
- I had just got contact lenses for the first time before our trip, and they were hard lenses, not disposable, and really expensive. So as we are getting off the monorail at MK on the first day, I think I feel one dislodge, but I didn't realise it had popped right out of my eye until the whole crowd had come off the monorail behind us! Would you believe we still managed to find it on the platform, and my sister then made me put it back in my eye after a quick rinse under the tap!
- Seeing a woman with fingernails that must have been over a foot long would have been gross enough, but the fact she was holding a small baby with these hideous long nails really concerned me!
mermaidhair is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 18, 03:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mermaidhair View Post
Most Bizarre memories
So I guess it's the bizarre that sticks in your mind as these are the two clearest memories I have!
- I had just got contact lenses for the first time before our trip, and they were hard lenses, not disposable, and really expensive. So as we are getting off the monorail at MK on the first day, I think I feel one dislodge, but I didn't realise it had popped right out of my eye until the whole crowd had come off the monorail behind us! Would you believe we still managed to find it on the platform, and my sister then made me put it back in my eye after a quick rinse under the tap!
I spent my entire 2006 trip with one lens in my glasses. We were 5 mins from the airport when my sleepy brain kicked in and realised that my left eye was blurrier than usual. In fairness it's always blurry - ain't no prescription in the world that can cancel it out, so to be honest it didn't make much of a difference. And it was 5am in the morning. Still quite a feat though.

Weirdly, no one commented on it the whole trip. Did they notice and were too polite not to say anything? I wonder what my parents thought as I wandered round with one lens in my glasses - maybe they were afraid people would think they couldn't be bothered getting me another pair
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 18, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
suecee
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Best

Sitting watching the Star Wars fireworks. It had been a brilliant day, we did the dessert party and had a fab view etc. It felt so great as hubby had been reluctant to do the holiday but he'd had an amazing day & I was chuffed that I'd planned the day with precision and it had been perfect. Unlike the previous day - see below.

Worst

The afternoon of our first full day. Arrived at Universal at about 2pm and it rained constantly until we left at about 7pm. Pretty miserable as we were a bit jetlagged too so just made us grumpy - we'll know for next time! Not a bad worst memory really!

Bizarre

Nothing really except I found it bizarre how many American complimented me on things like my hair or choice of t shirt. Not complaining of course it was very nice just unexpected
Old 25 May 18, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Best watching our kids at the fire works in MK and watching 2out of 3 so far watching there kids in the same spot
Worst my still according to grown up sons most embarrassing parent moment CM in HS having to get the paramedics to get me off TOT yep full blown recorded Disney emergency incident
Bizarre Gs1 at 2 being singled out AK by a CM in the que at Everest to tie a prayer flag on and ring the bell he's 2 GD was also picked when she was 2 she's now 11 and both being given a fast pass to ride when they were/are tall enough
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 May 18, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
There are some lovely memories here.

Best

Walking into the Indiana Jones show at HS barely 5 minutes before the show started and being stopped by a cast member. I thought they were going to say it was a full house and we couldn't go in, but they asked my kids if they would mind being the junior directors. So we ended up in VIP seating and they were up on the stage at the beginning and had to start the show saying "Lights, camera, action".

Worst

We inevitably have a little spat due to tiredness and the heat. One year at AK DS had a proper strop and he managed to make it last all through breakfast at tusker house. We have photos of him with the characters and he looks like he's in a foul mood. We still refer to that day as Max's strop day.

Bizarre

We're drying ourselves off after going on bilge rat barges when I realise the man next to us is cutting his toe nails. Why on earth he decided to cut them at that precise moment I have no idea.

Edited at 11:14 PM.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List