Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Dec 17, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Lissa_x
Excited about Disney

Are we mad!?! Travelling with 2 toddlers

Hi

We have a trip booked for Easter 2018 however baby number 2 is due in may so we are looking to change our dates with Thomas cook so that we don't loose our deposit.

We are stuck as to when to change them to, my husband is a teacher so we have to stick to school holidays so the 2 options for us would be 2 weeks over Xmas 2018, kids will be 2 and 7 months old all being well.
Or 2 weeks over Easter 2019 with a 2 and a half year old and a 1 year old.

I know it will be super busy both times but we are used to travelling at Easter so crowds aren't a problem. Which would you go for?
We are tempted by Xmas as I am a midwife so am not allowed annual leave over Xmas but will be on mat leave so may be our only chance to experience Xmas in Disney and also the baby won't be mobile so may be easier than 2 walking talking toddlers!

Easter is also a strong contender as it will include hubbys 30th and the kids will be that little bit older

Any other tips for travelling with 2 toddlers would be appreciated !we are already thinking we will change from onsite to offsite so we can afford a room with separate living/ sleeping areas and a kitchen. And we will be hiring a car for the first time eek!

If you've read my ramblings thankyou! And thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 6 Dec 17, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

It will seem like both a mad thing to do and a great thing to do depending on what is happening at the time.

4am over the Atlantic with both crying it will seem like a mad thing.

2pm round a pool all having a good time it will seem idyllic

Anything with a toddler can be great or awful - just take it for what it is and realise your plans and schedule will need to take a backseat to theirs and everything will be great
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 17, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Alices Aunt
Imagineer

If it’s your only chance of Christmas then I’d go for that. It’s going to be challenging flights either way but taking them to see Father Christmas at Disney will make up for it.
Alices Aunt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 17, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

I think I'd be tempted to go for Christmas as a 7 month old might be easier to deal with than 2 toddlers.
I've been with my eldest when he was nearly 2.5, and also another time when my middle son was 18 months (eldest was 4), and it was a lot harder dealing with an 18 month old.
If you're taking a baby, you might want a sling for the queues for rides. Also if you're hiring a car then you'll need car seats for them both.
If you're staying in a villa then might you need 2 travel cots and highchairs if your eldest is just 2? Villas normally have one in, I'm sure the management company could sort another, but just something to remember to ask about
Eccle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 17, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
owens5558
VIP Dibber

owens5558's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I would also plump for Christmas if it is your only chance, plus the weather will be that little bit cooler. Even so we had to keep taking our grandson, aged two, into shops to cool him down. Christmas was truly magical.

I would just go with the flow, we ate when he wanted to eat and let him sleep when he needed to rest and no problems. No problems on the plane either just took lots to do. The worst bit was the queue at Orlando; it took us 3 hours to get out of the airport.

Penny
owens5558 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 17, 01:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

Just to add as well, whilst going with a toddler or two will have its challenging bits, there are lovely bits too, one of my best memories is Chip and Dale joining in with my son posting leaves down a drain.
We're going again in February when our youngest will be turning 2, I'm not looking forward to him on the flights but I can't wait to see him meet Mickey who he loves
Eccle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 17, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Lissa_x
Excited about Disney

Thanks everyone! We are prepared for a difficult plane journey, I think that's why we are leaning more towards Christmas as at least the 7 month old should still be somewhat containable!
Do you have to provide your own car seats or can you hire them? (I'm trying to imagine me and hubby with a toddler, a baby, a double pushchair, 3 cases, 3 hand luggage and then 2 car seats!?!)

We won't be staying in a villa, more than likely a hotel with suites such as the hawthorn suites or lake Buena vista resort so I'm sure the hotel would be able to provide 2 travel cots should our eldest still require one.
Old 6 Dec 17, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
vickitoria10
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lissa_x View Post
Thanks everyone! We are prepared for a difficult plane journey, I think that's why we are leaning more towards Christmas as at least the 7 month old should still be somewhat containable!
Do you have to provide your own car seats or can you hire them? (I'm trying to imagine me and hubby with a toddler, a baby, a double pushchair, 3 cases, 3 hand luggage and then 2 car seats!?!)

We won't be staying in a villa, more than likely a hotel with suites such as the hawthorn suites or lake Buena vista resort so I'm sure the hotel would be able to provide 2 travel cots should our eldest still require one.
We went in August with a 4month old and a 4 year old. The younger the new baby is the easier it will be! The flights for us were no problem but we had a skycot with virgin.

We travelled with a double buggy, 2 car seats, 2 large suitcases, a hold-all and 3 backpacks for hand luggage. We did the second bag drop and got a trolley but it was doable. Coming back we had a porter take our luggage on a trolley and tipped him $10, much less hassle!

Also you aren’t mad, we had an amazing time and people thought we were mad too but it’s an ideal place travelling with kids!

WDW - Oct 2010 - SSR, Sept/Oct 2011 - I-Drive, May 2015 - OKW

DLP - Dec 2013, Jan 2015 - Cheyenne
vickitoria10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 17, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Hooray4Disney
Imagineer

Hooray4Disney's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by vickitoria10 View Post
Also you aren’t mad, we had an amazing time and people thought we were mad too but it’s an ideal place travelling with kids!
Agree with this ... my nephews and my children have been going to Disney since they were 6 months old. It is so easy to holiday with little ones in USA - everywhere is so accommodating, and they will be free!

Personally, I think taking the teenagers this year was far harder than when they were little!
2002 - Hampton Lakes, WDW. 2003 - Westridge Villas, WDW. 2005, 2008, 2011 Formosa Blvd, WDW. 2010, 2013 Hotel Cheyenne, DLP. 2014 OKW/Westridge, WDW. 2015 - NYC, DCA & Rotonda West. 2016 - Hotel Kyriad, DLP. 2016 - Toronto 2017 - OKW, Bahama Bay & The Keys 2018 - Vegas, Yellowstone, San Francisco, L.A. 2018 DLP - Hotel B&B 2019 - Lake Berkeley, WDW. 2022 - Seattle/Hawaii
Hooray4Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 17, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Wee_Red
Imagineer

Wee_Red's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
To be fair, toddlers get so much room given how small they are. My nephew is a fantastic traveller. Get him comfy, veg out and play games/watch tv and eat? Heaven. Then nap time. Anticipate the worst and be amazed at how easy they find travelling.
Wee_Red is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List