Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 5 Aug 17, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
cotton
Excited about Disney

Booked a standard SUV (Hyundai Santa Fa or similar) Alamo through Andy at discount Florida Car Hire. Picked up at Sanford Airport. Showed us a choice of 2 I preferred the Chevy Traverse. Seven seater only 4 of us so the three seats in the back were folded down which gave us plenty of luggage space. The only thing that was a bit difficult was visibility (I am only 5' 1 1/2") it had a few blind spots and couldn't see out of rear window to reverse but the saving grace was reversing sensors and a reversing camera. We had 2 large cases 1 medium case 2 barrel bags and 4 backpacks in the boot with plenty of spare space.

Edited at 06:32 PM.
cotton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 17, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Jlo31
Excited about Disney

Car rental: Dollar at MCO.
Class booked: Premium car (class G)
Car picked up: Chevrolet Impala LT 17000 miles but in great condition (Class G)

Read my experience of using dollar here. https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post12753486

Edited at 10:12 PM.
Jlo31 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 17, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
curlysue2
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Company: Alamo (via Thomsons)
Category of Car hired: Int Suv
Make & Model : Buick Enclave

Selection was really poor hardly anything left, we selected a Chrysler got all the bags in then couldn't find the keys to be told previous client changed mind on car but took the keys with him.
Really glad as we didn't like it anyway was best of a bad bunch so I complained nothing left etc. Guy said let me fix you up and came out with this baby.
We had a GMC Terrain last year and other than a curvier shape it's basically the same car.
Fitted 2 large and 2 medium cases plus back packs with ease.
Seats 7 2nd row is individual seats.
Lovely car.

Edited at 02:25 PM.
curlysue2 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 17, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile Car hire

Booked a standard SUV with Alamo through Auto Europe for 28 days for £853, picked up car after 9 days at POR from Disney car care.
Was given a Ford Expedition

Alamo picked me up from POR, really good service,car was in allocated space when I got there.
Decided not to pick car at begging of holiday and use Disney transport for first 9 days whilst staying at POR, Disney transport was very easily and no hassle.
Car was very spacious 8 seats in total and really easy to drive.
Very thirsty 16mpg used full tank it came with and put $140 and did 1650 miles
I would defo use Car care centre again took 1 hour in total from being picked up to getting back to POR, no hard sell, excellent service.

Edited at 11:14 PM.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 17, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Hired mini van through BA fly drive. Was with Avis. Already joined Avis Preferred, so went straight to garage and car was waiting. Pre paid for fuel ($49 but with the difference in voucher price meant it only cost $24).

Had a Chrysler Pacifica, 10k on the clock. Was fine, averaged 18mpg. Only put $45 of fuel in over 18 days, and took back on fumes.

Old 29 Aug 17, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
WillSa6
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

I had booked an intermediate SUV through Andy at Discount Florida Car Hire with Alamo to be picked up and returned to MCO for our 15 night trip last month.
There were no intermediates left when we got to Alamo garage, so we were offered this instead at no additional cost. Thankfully it had a reversing camera and rear parking sensors as it was huge.

Was lovely to drive, especially on our return drive to MCO when it was raining in torrents and visibility was down to about 10 feet in front. I felt more confident driving the jeep than I would have done in a car.

The boot room was fantastic, the picture shows are 2 extra large and one large case in the boot. We were also able to fit in our 3 hand luggage bags which are large sports bags and our 3 smaller 'personal bags' with no problem. From other Dibbers advice, I took a fitted king size black sheet with me, which completely covered all the luggage, so when you looked into the vehicle there was nothing in sight.
WillSa6 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 17, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Aearin
Getting Excited

Camaro SS Rented through Hertz MCO
Aearin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 17, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Grumpyman
Earning More Ears

Hi,booked a full size suv from DFCH,my daughter decided to go last minute so had 7 adults and 7 cases,I knew we would struggle but hoped for an upgrade or bribe to get a EL version,didnt happen but got upgraded for $10.99 per day to one which split between 7 was no problem,have had a Suburban before and the 3rd row of seats were a squash with adults but would recommend the Ford Expedition which was great for adults in the back,got 6 cases in the trunk and 1 inside with a seat folded down also 7 bags full to capacity but can be done
Windsor Palms 2001 Married/Highlands Reserve Jun 2013,Highlands Reserve Aug 2014,Highlands Reserve Aug 2015,Formosa Gardens Sept 2016 Highlands Reserve Sept 2017,Highlands Reserve 2018 Higlands Reserve Oct 2019,Sancturary at West Haven Mar2020
Anna marie sept 2020 cancelled covid,Highlands Reserve 2022,Hampton Lakes 2023 Highlands Reserve September 2024.
Grumpyman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 17, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Place you picked the car up from:- MCO
Catergory of car hired:- Standard SUV
Make of car you got:- Hyundai Santa Fe
Hire car company used:- Alamo (brits)

There were only a few cars and most of them were Santa Fe's. We were tired so just picked one. It was fine for our needs. Plenty of boot space and good to drive without being too big. We paid for a tank of fuel and didn't have to fill up at all.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 17, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
Imagineer

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Rented a BMW 430i convertible via alamo

4 Seater

Great car but can’t have the roof down with groceries or suitcases in the boot as the roof folds into it

Edited at 07:53 AM.
mike4scuba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List

Tags
alamo, avis, avis preffered, budget, car hire, compact, dollar, full size, hertz, intermediate, midsize, mini van, sixt, standard, suv, thrifty