Old 4 Jan 16, 04:42 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
4 nights in Toronto - a short but yummy food report! December 2015

Yet another trip has been and gone! We had an amazing 4 night holiday in Toronto, flying out on Boxing day & back on NYE! Here is a quick run down of everything we ate while I compile the photos for the full trippy!

Wondertree @ Heathrow T2

I had the Sunrise Breakfast, a Fresh orange Juice & a Bagel with Cream Cheese on the Side! It was all very yum!

Aaron had the Shakshounka Traditional, a hot casserole of tomatoes, peppers & chilli with baked eggs & sourdough toast. He also had a coffee. He loved the breakfast and enjoyed having something a bit different to the traditional English!

Great start, I seem to have lost my photos of this! The next two images are pilfered from Google!

The food here was pretty good for airport grub!

On the plane

Neither of us eat the plane food so we head on prepared.

We started with some sugar / chilli coated nuts to go with some white wine.

We then munched on EAT Ham & Cheese Baguettes with Crisps & Chocolate when the rest of the plane had their breakfast (Chicken Sausage & Scrambled Egg or Apple Pancakes were the choices with Air Canada).

Tim Hortons

We stopped in the famous Tim Hortons for Hot Chocolate & picked up some Donut Holes at the same time! The hot chocolate was amazing, so chocolatey sweet & thick! I did burn my tongue on it though

Jack Astors

This was just a pop in while we waited for our dinner reservation at Keg to tick around. I had a Cosmo & Aaron had an Old Fashioned.

We both then had a Mai Tai. Pretty good, we may visit again !

Keg Steakhouse

Oh my goodness, what can I say about our meal at Keg! It was incredible and testament to that is that we went back later in the holiday for another meal!

We started with a bottle of white wine & their delicious Sourdough bread.

We shared the Baked Brie for starters. Delicious.

Main wise we both went for steaks. I had the 14oz Prime Rib, medium rare with a Twice Baked Potato and a Demi Glaze sauce.

Aaron had the Baseball Topped Sirloin with Garlic Mash & a Chimichuri sauce.

We added a side of Veg as we felt in need of some greenery!

The food was absolutely faultless, as was the service & I would say this is a must if you visit the city! Very reasonably priced too, the bill has come on my credit card today and with tip was £68! Bargain.

Delta Hotel Breakfast

We aren't normally ones for eating in hotels, preferring usually to explore & come across something but the buffet on offer looked too good to miss so we head in. We were the only people in there (thanks to our jet lag & early rise) so we had a lovely peaceful breakfast.

I started with a Bagel & Fresh Fruit while Aaron went strait in for the hot food. We then finished with Pastries & Bread & Butter Pudding! It was delicious. We drank tea, coffee & Orange Juice.

Treats in the car

On the drive to Niagara, we picked up the following to munch on..

Nutella Go, Pretzel style! OMG this was amazing!

Twizzlers

Hubba Bubba Watermelon!

Margaritaville @ Niagara Falls

This one, as seems to be a pattern with us and Margaritaville lately was a bit of a let down. We were obviously in the quiet season so they had a very limited menu (no pretzel bread again ).

The service was ok, but not great and the same could be said for the food. Nothing horribly wrong, but nothing special either.

Aaron was driving but I have a 5 O'Clock somewhere.

We started with Buffalo Wings.

I then had the French Dip Sandwich.

Aaron had a Burger.

Smokes Poutinery

Traditional meal size Poutine! Yummy.

Over Easy

Another big breakfast was on the cards today, we went with Trip Adviser reviews and head to Over Easy,

There was a bit of a wait for a table but only about 5 minutes. I had an OJ, Aaron had a Latte.

Food wise, I went with the Steak & Eggs. It was very nice but not too big & nothing on the IHOP version! I had a side order of one pancake too which was amazing! So crunchy on the outside, almost as if it had a caramel crust. best pancake I have had, hands down. The 100% Canadian Maple Syrup was delicious too, although Aaron though it tasted medicinal.

Aaron had the Breakfast Burrito.

Balzacks

Hot Chocolate, very nice but not as creamy as the Tim Hortons one!

Jack Astors

A return visit here (albeit a different location). To drink, I had 3 Cosmos, Aaron had 2 Old Fashioned and a Miller Lite.

Food wise, we had the Nachos & added Guacamole.

Really lovely again.

Shark Club

Just a couple of drinks again! Hic

A Pink Lemonade for me & a Manhattan for Aaron

Edited at 04:48 PM.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 16, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Amsterdam Brew House

This was a Dibb recommendation & we really enjoyed it!

I had a Diet Coke & Aaron had their house Lager. Shame we aren't into real ales as they had loads on offer!

We started with some Tempura Battered Cauliflower, very nice!

For mains, I had the Goats Cheese Pizza & Aaron had the Smokehouse Burger. We went halved on them & both were really good, although they could have been a bit hotter. The service was really good.

St Lawrence Markets

We had a pretty strange breakfast here! Firstly we shared a plate of Chinese food! Half Sweet & Sour Chicken, half Char su Pork. It was no Panda Express but it hit the spot! We then came across the most amazing Italian stand making Chicken & Aubergine Parm Sandwiches and couldn't resit! Im sure they were about 2lb in weigh, absolutely amazing, Aaron deemed it the best sandwich ever & we all know how much he liked his Friendlies Supermelt!

Everything at the market looked amazing!

For dessert, we picked up a Chocolate Pecan Tart, a Portuguese Custard Tart & a Blondie!

Aaron also had a latte & had some latte art done for the very first time!

Keg Steakhouse

Another visit here saw us ordering the same food as before, we ditched the starter though as we had no room! I also swapped my potato for mash & Aaron swapped the mash for fries. The steaks were just as good as before!

Aaron had a Maple Bourbon cocktail

Tim Hortons

A Blueberry Muffin for me and a Sausage Muffin meal for Aaron ( I ate the Hash brown! I had a Hot Chocolate & Aaron had a Coffee.

Jack Astors!

Opps we did it again! A third visit Definitely one of our favourite places and a different location again.

Drinks were a Cosmo & a Beer

I had the Buffalo Chicken and added a House Salad.

Aaron has the Sesame Chicken.

As we had time to kill before setting off for the airport, we went for dessert! Donut Dippers for Aaron and hot Brookie for me. Both lovely.

Airport

The Air Canada gates at Toronto Airport are great, every seat is equipped with a Ipad on which you can play games / order drinks! Aaron had to have a play & had an Old Fashioned delivered within a few minutes! A great experience & beats the normal squished in chairs by far!

Plane Home

On the plane home, we snacked on Milk Duds, Twizzlers & Jelly Worms again refusing the food offered (Mac & Cheese or Chicken). Breakfast was a Banana Loaf which was actually pretty nice!

Home

My amazing Mother in Law dropped the below off while we had a nap after getting home! What a gem she is ]

That's all folks! Thanks for reading
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 16, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
lua1904
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Food looks amazing 😀 We are planning dinner at the Keg when we go to Whistler in a couple of months it looks delicious!
lua1904 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 16, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post

All looks very good. Cocktails sound amazing.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 16, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Sweets
like a dog with a bone

Mobile

It all looks great. I read your thread the other night when you were querying whether to go ahead and book. You've made me want to go

Port Orleans Riverside ~ Oct 2012
Hard Rock Hotel (no Disney!) ~ Aug 2016
New York, Sheraton NY Times Square ~ Feb 2017
Santorini, Dana Villas ~ Aug 2017
Yacht Club ~ Sept 2018
Caribbean Cruise, P&O ~ Mar 2019
Caribbean Beach Resort ~ May 2022
Caribbean Beach Resort ~ May 2023

Sweets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 16, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Originally Posted by lua1904 View Post
Food looks amazing 😀 We are planning dinner at the Keg when we go to Whistler in a couple of months it looks delicious!
Keg was great! I didn't realise there was so many.

Originally Posted by SusieK View Post
All looks very good. Cocktails sound amazing.
I do love a cocktail!

Originally Posted by Sweets View Post
It all looks great. I read your thread the other night when you were querying whether to go ahead and book. You've made me want to go
We loved it I wound definitely recommend a trip.
Old 6 Jan 16, 10:59 PM  
Link to this Post
oribanana
Getting to know the DIBB

Great report, thanks for posting. We used to live in Canada and the Keg was always our fav place to eat out!
oribanana is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 16, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Originally Posted by oribanana View Post
Great report, thanks for posting. We used to live in Canada and the Keg was always our fav place to eat out!
The Keg was great, so glad we managed to fit in another visit!
Old 7 Jan 16, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
LozSteelers
Very Serious Dibber

All looks awesome. Those steaks look delicious. I'm planning on visiting Toronto next year so that can go on my list.
LozSteelers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List