Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 8 Oct 16, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Could've shared that! - 21 nights DDP, offsite and onsite again..

So that's us back a week and I thought I'd get started on the dining report while the flavours are still fresh. I'd like to say I'm unpacked but I'm not and dining reports take precedence! I plan on doing a trip report too but thought I'd do this first then link to it in the trip report. The pre-trip report is here but for anyone who can't be bothered reading the 5 pages here's a bit of an intro -

So the cast is me, Lisa, turned 45 while there , my sister Marie, 40 and our parents. Marie and I have been going to Florida together for many years, with friends, with family and on our own. We hadn't been with Mum and Dad since we were teenagers but this was Marie's 40th birthday trip and they decided to come. We spent the first two weeks in Old Key West in a 2 bed villa with free DDP then Mum & Dad moved on to Las Vegas and then New York moving back down to Orlando on our last full day so we could all fly home together. Marie and I went from OKW to Royal Pacific at Universal for 4 nights and then rented DVC points at BLT for our last 3. We'd also managed to rent points for Mum & Dad to stay at BLT for that last night.

Overall free dining was a success for us but we had loads of credits left. I think it was down to having the full kitchen in the villa at OKW as we were able to make a decent breakfast every morning. Due to bad timing we also ate offsite a couple of times that felt like a waste of money given we had all those credits. It also made paying for food that last week hard!

Anyway, on with the report.

I've added in links to each day by the main restaurant we ate in.

Olivia's, OKW (lunch)
Tusker House (breakfast), Wolfgang Pucks Express, Riverside Mill Food Court
Be Our Guest (lunch) and Narcoossee's
Le Cellier
Backlot Express and Trattoria al Forno
Gastons, Pecos Bill and Rainforest Cafe (DS)
Bubba Gumps and Bill & Mins Dockside Diner
Moon Rock Cafe (KSC) and Olivia's (dinner)
The Yachtsman
Monsters Cafe (US) and Sanaa
Wolfgang Pucks Express (breakfast), Auntie Gravities and Liberty Tree Tavern
Mama Melrose (Fantasmic Package)
Sunshine Seasons, Electric Umbrella, Riverside Mill
Wolfgang Pucks Express and Yak & Yeti
Contempo Cafe
Leaky Cauldron, Hard Rock Cafe & Panda Express
Cheesecake Factory & RPR Room Service
Orchid Court (RPR), Margaritaville & Beverly Hills Boulangerie (US)
Cinnabon, Mythos and Be Our Guest (dinner)
Sunshine Seasons, Rainforest Cafe and Casey's Corner
ABC Commissary, Starring Rolls and Grand Floridian Cafe

The full trip report is here if anyone wants to read.

Trip Report Index

Edited at 08:12 PM.
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 16, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Pre-travel and travel day

Pre Travel Day

We were booked into the Holiday Inn at Glasgow Airport so dinner that night was to be either the hotel restaurant, the Wetherspoons landside at the airport or a trip to Braehead to see what they had. The weather was awful and we just wanted the car safely bedded in the long stay car park so Braehead was out. We also didn’t have waterproofs so decided the hotel restaurant would do. We had also been given a 15% off voucher when we checked in. We’d looked at the menu online and it seem to do straightforward pub grub however when we got there the menu was different. Marie couldn’t really see anything she liked so I asked the waitress if there was another restaurant as the menu wasn’t what we’d expected. She said it had changed recently but then mentioned a lounge menu. She offered us the option of that but only if at least one person ordered from the main restaurant menu. Me, Mum and Dad all fancied something from the main menu so that was fine.

We all had starters.

Me & Mum had haggis fritters – nice but had better

Dad had olives – what can you say, they were olives!

Marie had soup which we think was something with coriander

For mains I had the duck which came with a potato gratin and asparagus. I didn’t want the asparagus and they didn’t offer a substitution. The duck was lovely though.

Mum & Dad had seabass with potatoes and vegetables. They really enjoyed it.

Marie had macaroni cheese which was tasteless.

Overall we enjoyed the meal but it was expensive. £94 for four of us including soft drinks for 3 of us and one glass of wine for Dad. It cost the same for the 2 rooms in the hotel. I suspect for me and Marie next year it’ll be a Subway in the room!

We had bought yum yums and Mum had some biscuits that we had in the room later as dessert with a cup of tea.

Travel Day

We had a cup of coffee in the room and left over yum yums and biscuits to keep us going until we got through bag check and security. I’d brought some of those Azera latte disposable cups so we could start with a decent cup! Once through security we headed for The Beardmore. I had printed a 20% off coupon from Eat, Drink and Fly before we went. We usually eat here and find it fine.

I don’t seem to have made a note of what everyone had and only have a picture of mine which was a Scottish Breakfast. I think Marie had that too, Dad had a bacon roll and Mum had scrambled egg and toast. Mine was disappointing. The sausage wasn’t nice and the egg wasn’t cooked properly with a runny white never mind the yolk. Mum’s scrambled egg looked nice and I wished I’d ordered that.

I just realised while re-reading this that I didn't include my breakfast picture so here it is!

Plane food
Mum and Dad were sitting across the plane from us so it’s only me and Marie’s flight food.
We got the usual first round of drinks plus a bag of sour cream & chive pretzels. Lunch seemed very early at just after 11am (we took off at 10).
Here’s a picture of the menu

I chose the Beef Stroganoff – not great. I didn’t really enjoy much on my tray.

Marie had the cannelloni – she really enjoyed it but didn’t eat the salad or dessert.

They came round later with the usual Fab lolly.

An hour or so before landing we got afternoon tea. There were 2 choices and we both chose the egg mayo, mozzarella and houmous ones. They were nice and the scone was good. Better than lunch.

We arrived on time (1.30) and therefore were ready for dinner fairly early. We would normally use a QS credit on arrival day and I had thought we could pop over to Disney Springs but it was Saturday and I didn’t see my Mum being happy with standing queuing for dinner. We had all our TS meals booked but they weren’t set in stone so I checked the app for availability at Olivia’s and it had slots so I suggested we go there. We got there about 4ish and at that time it was still the lunch menu. As we were now on dining plan we didn’t have appetisers.

Marie gives me a row for taking pictures of drinks but here is my Pomegranate Lemonade (love this and you only get it at Disney), Dad's beer and Marie's Sprite.

Dad & I both had the Island Barbecue Pork Ribs – Spicy Chipotle-Barbecue Sauce with French Fries and Marinated Coleslaw. These were nice but drier than I’d expected. The coleslaw was just ok.

Mum had the Southernmost Buttermilk Chicken – Mashed Potatoes, Southern Gravy and Seasonal Vegetables. She really enjoyed this.

Marie had the Olivia’s Classic Burger – topped with Applewood Smoked Bacon, Cheddar, Lettuce, Tomato and Onion. She found it ok but nothing special.

For desserts Mum had Mile Marker Zero – Tropical Panna Cotta. Which she enjoyed.

The rest of us had Banana Bread Pudding Sundae – served warm with Bananas Foster Sauce and Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. This was a favourite of Marie’s from previous trips and although I like it I do struggle to finish it.

It would have cost us $127 in total but all we paid was the cost of the beer and the tip, both of which we charged to the room.

When we got back to the villa we asked for our Garden Grocer order to be delivered. I don’t have a photo as it’s just groceries but we got bread milk, butter, bagels, eggs, water, etc. We’d also brought some of the individual cereal packets from home that we had lying around and reckoned we were set for breakfast.

Trip Report Index

Edited at 05:27 PM.
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 16, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
dixonsontour
VIP Dibber

dixonsontour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
Great start I always do food review then trip report..priorities
dixonsontour is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 16, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Ycryan
Imagineer

Ycryan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 34
Fantastic start, I've never tried Olivia's, looks good.

Looking forward to some more. x
Old 9 Oct 16, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
joanna23
Imagineer

joanna23's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 2
Mobile

Really looking forward to your report. Thanks for taking the time to do it. Is never be able to!
August 2006 RPR & Rosen Plaza; August 2008 RPR & Regal Sun; August 2009 RPR & Buena Vista Palace; July/August 2010 RPR & SSR; July/August 2011 & 2012 Loews Miami Beach, RPR & SSR; 2013 SSR & RPR: 2014 Rosen Plaza, SSR & RPR; 2015 Renaissance, RPR & SSR;2016 Cabana Bay, SSR & RPR; 2018 CB, Portofino, SSR 2019 St Petes, Renaissance & SSR
joanna23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 16, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Leia77
VIP Dibber

Leia77's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Fab read! Looking forward to this
Leia77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 16, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
mrmoo123
Imagineer

Great start, Olivia's looks great
Old 9 Oct 16, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Originally Posted by dixonsontour View Post
Great start I always do food review then trip report..priorities
Thanks. I've never done a full report before so I though I'd start easy!

Originally Posted by Ycryan View Post
Fantastic start, I've never tried Olivia's, looks good.

Looking forward to some more. x
Thanks. We like it there. It's straightforward food and it's usually quiet enough to get a walk up.

Originally Posted by joanna23 View Post
Really looking forward to your report. Thanks for taking the time to do it. Is never be able to!
Thanks! I'm hoping to get more done today.

Originally Posted by Leia77 View Post
Fab read! Looking forward to this
Thanks!

Originally Posted by mrmoo123 View Post
Great start, Olivia's looks great
Thanks!

Trip Report Index
Old 9 Oct 16, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Mobile

Looking forward to reading more, great start!
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 16, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
gjdjud
GEORGE

gjdjud's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 26
Great start! Subscribing
gjdjud is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List