Notices

Old 2 Jan 18, 05:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

SoCal Christmas 2017: Day 10 San Diego - Coronado

We woke up to a mist! As we had been relatively early to bed, we were all up by 8am! Some of us earlier though!

The usual breakfast was had - though the kids were delighted that I served them theirs in bed - such a treat!

After some discussion, we decided to head down the coast to Coronado.

Due to some dodgy navigation on my behalf (even with the gps and a map! ) we ended up at USS Midway - which was a good thing as J wanted to see it. We had been on the Intrepid in NYC last year so we had decided not to go on this one.

This is the Bob Hope memorial - there were sound effects too!

And the sailor kissing his girl statute. You can see how big it is by the small person in the background. Very impressive!

The whole area is very close it seems to downtown. It had probably been a good move to go there today as the traffic was fairly light.

We then headed across the bridge to Coronado. It is very impressive for a bridge.

Some good views of the downtown too!

We parked up along side the beach.

We walked towards the Del Coronado Hotel - one of the oldest wooden structure buildings in the USA at 140 years old.

They had the ice rink open. A lot of bambis on ice

We grabbed a coffee in one of the cafes on the main street before heading back tonwalk along the beach.

Lots of birds - these cranes as well as pelicans diving in the sea looking for fish.

We walked to the end where there was a fence across - the rest of the beach was on military land. We wondered what this yacht was doing!

It is a lovely area with some very expensive looking houses. Whilst we enjoyed our visit there, I am not sure we would want to stay there as it seems quite a trek from everywhere else! If you only wanted the beach though it was perfect!

We drove back over the bridge - interesting to see a Bae Systems container next tonseveral military ships undergoing repairs/upgrades.

We had lunch in a local pizza place - we vastly over ordered so now have lots of pizza in the fridge.

After a social media break we headed down to the beach as usual. The three fish went straight into the water.

I went to get coffee and tea - it was cooler today.

As the sun came down, the kids body-boarded under J's watchful eye! There were fewer people in the water and the waves were not as good as earlier in the week.

Dinner was a take-out from Chipotle. A veggie bowl between J and I, a burrito for O and tortillas and guacamole for F.

After dinner, we have been for another walk and to get some more cinnamon bread for breakfast!

As usual, we are now shattered (over 15km walked today! ) so it will be yet another early night!

Edited at 05:33 AM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 18, 05:30 AM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 2 Jan 18 4:30 AM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 18, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Another great day

Joan
Old 2 Jan 18, 01:28 PM  
Link to this Post
OB1LukeLucas
VIP Dibber

Mobile

The area looks nice, some lovely photos. I could just do with an nice walk along the beach but it's miserable and wet here so I'll just stay inside!
OB1LukeLucas is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 18, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Jake71
Imagineer

A really good day, loads to see and do around you, so amazing.
Old 3 Jan 18, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Great day. Had a nice time on the Midway and loved the bridge into Coronado. Good beach photos.
Old 7 Jan 18, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Great day of sightseeing, Coronado looks cool
Some nice food today as well - left over pizza always a favourite here !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 18, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Another great day

Joan
Thanks Joan!

Originally Posted by OB1LukeLucas View Post
The area looks nice, some lovely photos. I could just do with an nice walk along the beach but it's miserable and wet here so I'll just stay inside!
Wet and stormy here too today - missing the Californian s7nshine!

Originally Posted by Jake71 View Post
A really good day, loads to see and do around you, so amazing.
San Diego is so worth a visit!

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
Great day. Had a nice time on the Midway and loved the bridge into Coronado. Good beach photos.
The bridge was impressive! Must get busy in summer I imagine!

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Great day of sightseeing, Coronado looks cool
Some nice food today as well - left over pizza always a favourite here !
The kids don't like left over pizza (strange kids )

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 18, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
A lovely day exploring today and you’re certainly getting your moneys worth from the body boards!
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 18, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
A lovely day exploring today and you’re certainly getting your moneys worth from the body boards!
The bodyboards were definitely a great buy! And the beach was perfect for doing it!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg