Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 15 Aug 18, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

The hat was awful It blocked the view of the Chinese Theatre. Still remember the original firework show in DHS, everyone sat on the ground in front of the theatre. The fireworks were amazing, the Rocketeer levitated perfectly and Mickey appeared on the roof at the end.
The nostalgia value of the park has gone to be superseded by money making ideas.

Edited at 08:54 AM.
greekgranny is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

Loved Starring Roles and Writers Stop, Streets of America and the Osborne Lights. Sadly no more 😥
Old 15 Aug 18, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
The hat was awful It blocked the view of the Chinese Theatre. Still remember the original firework show in DHS, everyone sat on the ground in front of the theatre. The fireworks were amazing, the Rocketeer levitated perfectly and Mickey appeared on the roof at the end.
The nostalgia value of the park has gone to be superseded by money making ideas.
If Disney didn't add new things you wouldn't have been able to see that "original" firework show. It was added a year after MGM Studios opened. The Rocketeer was added a year later in 1991 (and then removed because the film didn't do that well).

And, yes, Disney is a business and exists to make money; of course, it's going to add "money making ideas". MGM Studios and it's original attractions were "money making ideas" in the first place.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 10:01 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

greekgranny is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
ratmanscoop
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Nimbus
If Disney didn't add new things you wouldn't have been able to see that "original" firework show. It was added a year after MGM Studios opened. The Rocketeer was added a year later in 1991 (and then removed because the film didn't do that well).

And, yes, Disney is a business and exists to make money; of course, it's going to add "money making ideas". MGM Studios and it's original attractions were "money making ideas" in the first place.
Yeah I entirely agree with this, and as much as it's a shame to see old stuff go, I'm usually OK with it as long as I perceive the replacement to be of similar or better quality to what it replaced. There's also the caveat of not replacing too much at once so the park is never too compromised in scale during the replacement works. I'd argue Disney are usually pretty good at getting the former right, but occasionally fall short with the latter. Universal on the other hand, largely the opposite. That's very much a matter of personal opinion of course.

Also, thanks for the reminder about Sorcery in the Sky! I had quite forgotten that existed, am really grateful to the people who've uploaded early camcorder footage of the show to YouTube as I don't remember any of it, though I'm sure I must have seen it on at least one of my MGM visits in the 90s.
Damn, I'd love to see a contemporary Fantasia-themed display (and not just a reference to TSA like in Wishes!)
Oh well, it occurs to me we'll be out there during the 30th Anniversary of MGM, so maybe there'll be something special on for that.

Edited at 10:09 AM.
ratmanscoop is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

I also miss the hat, and the great movie ride, and the original back stage tour that shrunk over the years before going completely... don't like HS half as much as I did. Only thing that redeems it for me is ToT.

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by ratmanscoop View Post
Yeah I entirely agree with this, and as much as it's a shame to see old stuff go, I'm usually OK with it as long as I perceive the replacement to be of similar or better quality to what it replaced. There's also the caveat of not replacing too much at once so the park is never too compromised in scale during the replacement works. I'd argue Disney are usually pretty good at getting the former right, but occasionally fall short with the latter. Universal on the other hand, largely the opposite. That's very much a matter of personal opinion of course.
I do miss some of the old attractions - like the Backlot Tour, Great Movie Ride, the drawing class, Writers Stop, etc. But I'm equally excited to see new things coming along as well. As you say, as long as I think the new stuff is as good or better than the old stuff then I'm happy.

The thing is, something like the Backlot Tour is only nostalgic to me because I fondly remember going on it many years ago. For those people visiting for the first time now, it will mean nothing to them. Instead, they may enjoy the rides in Toy Story Land and then feel nostalgic about those in 20 years time when they close and wish Disney wasn't replacing them. If I'm still around in 20 years time I may feel nostalgic about them too.

Thankfully, Hollywood Studios hasn't stayed the same since it opened back in May 1989.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Aug 18, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Andybear
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tea View Post
There used to be a big Mickey' s Sorcerers Apprentice hat (blue with silver stars) at the top of Hollywood Boulevard in front of Graumans Chinese theatre.
Some loved it (there was a pin trading shop in it) and some hated it as it blocked the authentic view going up Hollywood Boulevard.
It was removed about 3 years ago.
Thank you. It wasn't there when I was last there - 1997. I'm glad it wasn't there as I loved the walk up Hollywood Boulevard. I'm sorry that Great Movie Ride has closed. When I booked this year's trip I was looking forward to going on it as it's one of my favourite Disney rides - this was before the announcement was made that it was closing.
Andybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List