Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 Dec 17, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
dizneemad
VIP Dibber

indirect flight

Having only flown direct before am getting a little concerned regarding my upcoming trip next week. We were due to fly in via Atlanta which then was changed to JFK. The onward flight time has been reduced several times to the point we have 2h and 15mins to swap over.
Is this enough time, given stories of increased security checks etc am getting worried we may miss our flight?
Old 8 Dec 17, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
We normally aim for 2-2.5hrs for layover, and that’s in summer. I’d be comfortable with that, but I know some dibbers like more time.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 17, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

The good thing is there will likely be loads of flights to Orlando if you miss it.
The bad thing is JFK could be busy depending on when you hit immigration. It's a bloody awful place, took us nearly 2 hours to get through but I've never done a connector there so they may fast track that.
Given the likely abundance of flights I wouldn't worry. Especially as you didn't pick it and have been forced into it. If I missed my connection I'd be screaming blue murder at the airline and blaming them until they got me on the next flight.
Old 9 Dec 17, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Screaming blue murder is more likely to get you onto the no fly list ... a simple, calm request to rebook is all that is needed.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 17, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
wellbehaved
Getting Excited

Mobile

I guess this is with Virgin? We are flying to Charleston via Atlanta next April with them and got a notification of change. We phoned them and got out back to an Atlanta flight. Its about 2 hours later but its the route we wanted.

Pam
wellbehaved is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 17, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Paddcomp
Imagineer

Mobile

With any indirect flights you need a plan.
Get seats near the front of the aircraft to get off sooner.
Toilet before the seatbelt signs come on.
Dispose of any fruit snacks you had for the flight.
Walk briskly past anyone slower than you on the way to the immigration hall.
Have all your documents ready.
Get a trolley if required for your luggage and move briskly to security.
Once you've handed over your bags again you may even have time for a visit to the food court.
If you can eat in the transfer airport it's another thing less to do once in Orlando.

I'm not advocating knocking down children and old people, but knowing what your doing and not dithering saves huge amounts of time.

Indirect is a huge cost driver, well worth it.
Easter 2014 - Oak Island cove Dibb Villa
Easter 2018 - Lindfields Dibb Villa
Paddcomp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 17, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Screaming blue murder is more likely to get you onto the no fly list ... a simple, calm request to rebook is all that is needed.
It was a figure of speech. I know from experience the nonchalant attitude that can happen in these scenarios, with them blaming the passenger for not leaving enough time, even though it was a suggested flight on their system. If that happens, and the other flights are booked (and the Americans don’t necessarily even offer you overnight accommodation) politely asking may not work- again I know from experience. However, threatening legal action under EU regs (as it was sold as a connecting flight), sometimes works wonders. At the end of the day they have changed OPs flight and put OP in this scenario.
The US airlines, particularly when you get to connecting flights, the staff can be terrible as the US have way less statutory protection, and the people you are speaking to may not even have knowledge of the potential liability of the airline.
I once had a major airline to court, and won, because they refused to treat me decently, and I had initially asked politely as you say.
Same once when an airline smashed my case and refused to give me a new one in US. I said I’d stay in their office and complain very loudly until they sorted it. New case promptly appeared, and guess what, I’m not on any ‘no fly list’!
YorkshireT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 17, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
It was a figure of speech. I know from experience the nonchalant attitude that can happen in these scenarios, with them blaming the passenger for not leaving enough time, even though it was a suggested flight on their system. If that happens, and the other flights are booked (and the Americans don’t necessarily even offer you overnight accommodation) politely asking may not work- again I know from experience. However, threatening legal action under EU regs (as it was sold as a connecting flight), sometimes works wonders. At the end of the day they have changed OPs flight and put OP in this scenario.
The US airlines, particularly when you get to connecting flights, the staff can be terrible as the US have way less statutory protection, and the people you are speaking to may not even have knowledge of the potential liability of the airline.
I once had a major airline to court, and won, because they refused to treat me decently, and I had initially asked politely as you say.
Same once when an airline smashed my case and refused to give me a new one in US. I said I’d stay in their office and complain very loudly until they sorted it. New case promptly appeared, and guess what, I’m not on any ‘no fly list’!
Wouldn't a damaged case be an issue for ground staff/baggage handlers rather than an airline?
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 17, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

It would be handled by the airline but you often see passengers screaming blue murder at the wrong people anyway ! (Used to brighten up tea breaks no end watching the tantrums when I worked at Heathrow )
Some people either thrive on drama or get so stressed by travelling that any glitch no matter how easily sorted sends them into meltdown.

I've had airlines lose luggage, had flights cancelled (never had an American carrier not pay for the overnight even when weather related and they didn't have to) etc (at one point I was flying to the US up to five times a year often indirect so some glitches were inevitable flying so often) and have never ever needed to raise my voice let alone "scream blue murder". Even when I missed a transatlantic flight completely entirely down to my own fault AA rebooked me on the next flight with a smile (and did the same last year when I missed a domestic flight after a major delay on a non alliance airline flying to the US ... fare rules said no ... airport staff overrode and rebooked me).
If you are polite and pleasant in most cases the US airlines will go above and beyond for you but rock up at the desk snarling and they'll charge every rebooking fee going ! Figure of speech or not !

Edited at 12:07 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Dec 17, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
disney babe
VIP Dibber

We flew into JFK in July, they have the automated passport readers now, was really quick, through and collecting luggage in 15 mins
I. Drive july 92,DLP 98,99, 02, 04, comfort suites sept 03, southern dunes july 06, westridge july 09, RPR, orange tree, OKW july 12, chatham park, OKW oct 13, RPR, polo park east, AKL, july 14, CBBR, HRH, CBR, disney dream, BCV oct 15, La, Vegas, SF July 16, new york, GFV, CBR, BCV july 17, Miami, Rosen inn, CBBR july 18, LV, Anaheim Oct 18, rosen inn, aventura dec 18, Fl keys, AoA, portofino bay july 19, mirage LV oct 19, rosen inn, pop dec 19, POP, Rosen Inn, POFQ aug 22
disney babe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List