Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Jan 18, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
123TOPAZ
Helping Minnie

Mobile Virgin vs Thomas Cook

We've previously flown with Virgin but Thomas Cook are cheaper for our dates next year.

Could anyone tell me how they compare?
123TOPAZ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 18, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

Never been with Virgin and probably never will with the prices they charge but have flown several times with TC and flew with them to LA last year. Couldn't fault them.
Old 11 Jan 18, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
123TOPAZ
Helping Minnie

Mobile

Originally Posted by Myakka Lodge View Post
Never been with Virgin and probably never will with the prices they charge but have flown several times with TC and flew with them to LA last year. Couldn't fault them.
Thanks - do the planes have seat back tvs and unlimited drinks etc? I have 2 children and they love to watch all the films 😁
123TOPAZ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 18, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
aladdin
VIP Dibber

The planes do have back seat TVs however you will be charged to upgrade to the premium entertainment package as the basic includes 4 films and a few episodes of a tv show. I uograded but personally wouldn’t again. You’ll have to pay for drinks outside of the meals too.

I would not fly with Thomas Cook again given the choice. Buying drinks and such is an expensive feat on the plane and upgrading to the entertainment really wasn’t worth it as they were mostly old films that had been out in the cinema for months previously and I think it totalled to about 7 adult films and 3 children’s films and the tv shows which were not full sets but scattered episodes.

Obviously, it’s all just personal opinion and if you’re willing to compromise on the drinks and entertainment then it’s fine

Edit: remember to bring your own headphones as they charge for headphones too.

Edited at 05:49 PM.
aladdin is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 18, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We don't normally have more than one alcoholic drink on any flight, even when, in the case of Virgin (and others), it is free.

For us, it is price, price and price. With iPads, the seatback tv is pretty much irrelevant also.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 18, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
angel_eyes
Trainee Dibber

Originally Posted by 123TOPAZ View Post
Thanks - do the planes have seat back tvs and unlimited drinks etc? I have 2 children and they love to watch all the films 😁
We flew with TC Airlines last Easter. All the seat backs have screens but if you fly economy the entertainment is limited (I think I paid £5 during the flight to upgrade to all available movies). My son was more interested in his tablet than the screen! As previously mentioned, drinks need to be paid for too. However, if you travel in premium class (which we did on our return, as the flights were actually cheaper at time of booking!), the premium entertainment package and all drinks are included. Overall, we didn't experience any difficulties flying with TC. (We booked directly as opposed to a package holiday.)
angel_eyes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 18, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post

It's all about the price with us..Flew TC and VA both from Manchester to MCO..Wasn't much difference in the price, maybe £100 cheaper with TC, but this year VA from Glasgow to MCO in November worked out cheaper than TC from Manchester ..Booked right away..Yes and I had several brandies with VA on route with no charge..
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 18, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Powlay
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 4
Is it a holiday or just a flight?
Old 11 Jan 18, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
We used Thomson in May, the 1st time as we have always flown Virgin.
We would definitely use Thomson again
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 18, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaDave
Imagineer

FloridaDave's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

Just go for what’s cheaper. The ‘free’ drinks on flights aren’t really free - you are paying for them but on some airlines they will restrict the amount of services anyway.

I would only choose to fly Virgin if it was cheaper option as I have flown with them before and think they’re massively overrated... the airline equivalent of buying Kellogg’s Rice Krispies at twice the price of Aldi Rice Crispies which are basically the same product.
(UPCOMING)2018- Florida V6.0beta (Aug) Pre-Trip Report 2016- Mexico (Aug) Menorca (Oct), 2015- NYC & Florida, 2014- Gran Canaria, Aug (Puerto Rico), 2013- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clearwater and Westhaven Villa) - Pre-Trip Report, 2012- Florida, Aug (Sunset Lakes Villa) - Brangelina Trip Report, 2011- Santorini, Aug (Kamari Hotel - Sisters Wedding), 2010- Florida, Aug (Rolling Hills Villa), 2009- Florida, Aug/Sep (Clear Creek Villa)
FloridaDave is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List