Notices

Old 9 Aug 16, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Man v Disney
Excited about Disney

Man V Disney 4 weeks of Florida. Day 16 - Discovery Cove and DOLPHINS!

Monday 8th

Today was something we were really looking forward to. Eliana had saved up before the holiday to swim with dolphins so we had booked that for her. She got it in her mind that this would take place at Seaworld!

We were up early after a fairly unsettled night where Eliana didn't feel so great. We realised that maybe she hadn't drunk enough. She got enough sleep though and was happy enough this morning. There was no time for breakfast though, we had left the house by 6.45am!

We set the sat nav to our destination and began the journey. As we turned down the road to Seaworld, Eliana was very excited, then told us we had missed our turn as we drove past that and turned into Discovery Cove.

There was a quick bag check to start, then we checked in
and were given our lanyard with our personalised passes on, as well as our passes for our experiences.
We had booked a dolphin swim for Eliana and Hannah and Seaventure for me and Josiah. We had also paid for an Elite Cabana experience so that we had our own cabana, this included the top dolphin photo package.

After being shown where reception and the Laguna bar was, we were given time to have breakfast and were sitting down for this by about 7.45am. The meals are all included in the day so we made the most of the breakfast buffet
and then were taken to our own cabana area. This had a hammock, two sun loungers, a covered area with a table four chairs, our own drinks fridge, snack box,beach toys and own locker.
I know that you have access to these anyway, but to have guaranteed seating, drinks to hand at any point and a view out over the dolphin experience area where you can just watch dolphins playing made it all worth it.
You also get a member of staff responsible for looking after you, bringing you anything that you need! Ours, Katherine, kept popping in to fill up our towels, restock our drinks and bring us the snacks we liked the look of. As Eliana said, we are the VIP's of the VIP's, not only at the relatively exclusive Discovery Cove, but with our own cabana as well.

Before we fully get into today I need to apologise for any pictures, they were mostly taken on an underwater camera so may not be the best, hopefully they give you a good 'feel'. There are also very few of Josiah as he was in his absolute element, spending most of the day on his own exploring.

Once we had our wetsuits we were off.
We started by going into the aviary to look at the birds, we were the first ones in there and they know they get fed by visitors so they were all flying around us.
It was all a a bit much at this time in the morning, so we headed over to look at the marmosets and otters. We didn't see any marmosets but saw the otters playing. After we had kitted up with snorkels and goggles we went around the lazy river, which is almost a mile long. It was so peaceful and with no one splashing round or messing around in irritating giant rubber rings we really enjoyed the peaceful drift round. You do need to be quite confident as it gets over 8ft deep at times. You can get a noodle to help you float or can wear the life vests instead.

We went back to the cabana and had a drink and chill, Katherine brought me a beer or two to enjoy over the day as well. Then we went over and grabbed a couple of snacks, pretzels and cookies.

It is worth mentioning that Eliana has a thing about sand, doesn't like it at all and claims to be allergic to it. This clearly presents a problem at a place like discovery cove. However, we had brought everyone's water shoes so that helped. Eliana was really good though and spent most of the day walking on sand. I imagine when we get home that we will find it was a different type of sand though

It was time for mine and Josiah's experience so we went over to the SeaVenture booking in point and got checked in. After a short information video where we learnt the hand signals that would be used we were ready to go into the water. As you get into the water you have a helmet put on which provides air for your underwater adventure. This is not an experience for those who suffer from chlostrophobia!

Once down we were taken on an underwater tour, they have a little flip chart to write message as well as some pre printed ones. We started by looking at some sharks close up, then got taken a lot deeper into a trench where there were loads of fishes. They fed them, and the area was teeming! It was amazing and you really feel like you are intruding on another world. We then had an opportunity to hold some live creatures. I held a lobster and a starfish. Then it was on with the underwater tour to look at some other fantastic fish. We finished by holding a sea urchin! The whole experience lasts around 45 minutes and you are in the waters for around 25-30 minutes of that. Unfortunately we had forgotten to take a camera so the memories will remain in our head. YouTube has a lot of good images if you want to get an idea what it was like. Josiah had a couple of wobbles but altogether loved it and keeps talking about different bits of it when he remembers something else

While we were on our adventure Hannah and Eliana went off for a little swim. They started on the lazy river and got out at the aviary stop so that she could see the birds again, one landed on her arm, she loved it!

The weather forecast hadn't been good today and sure enough there was a pool closure or two due to inclement weather. However we chilled in our covered cabana, had a snack and drink and talked about how much we were loving the day. After a swim in the warm freshwater lagoon we went to get ready for the Dolphins. The dolphin experience, however, had been delayed from 1.10pm to 2pm so we went and got our lunch instead. It was really good, considering it is included and they must have to serve loads of it.

It was time for the dolphin experience, so Josiah went off to snorkel in the main pool area and I went to picture their experience.

They both loved it! Eliana never stopped smiling once and loved touching the Dolphins "they're so velvety" and getting pulled through the water by a dolphin. They started with Acai, then had Madison and finished with Cindy. As part of the elite package, they bring a buoy to one of your party and we had asked that the buoy have her name and the year on it. Towards the end of their experience Eliana was called forward in the water and had to hold her hands out in front of her. Cindy swam up with a buoy for Eliana to keep. Her face was a picture and she loved the whole experience, especially being the only one in that group to receive the buoy! Hannah admitted to shedding a tear at this point, it was a really special moment.

As we got out of the water Katherine was there with a bag of goodies for Eliana including a fluffy dolphin toy (who has been named Gray), a bag, the buoy to keep and a picture frame. They went off to look at the pictures and videos and after making their selections were told that they would be available soon. Here is the total of everything we got to bring home from our package...a great deal!

The kids went off for a swim around the lagoon and I went into the Grand Reef to look at the fish in the coral reef areas. It was just incredible. I have been snorkelling before but this was so much better! Giant Ray's and fish of every colour and size were there, it was just incredible! I worry that the pictures don't do it justice.

Once we were back, Katherine turned up with our dolphin package and went to get us some cookies as she had heard us talking about these. Discovery Cove was beginning to empty as the sky looked grey again and the park closed at 5.30, it was around 4pm.

Until this point in the holiday the kids had happily accepted their fate when we said it was time to go, today when we suggested heading off early we were met with a resounding no. They wanted to stay until the bitter end, which was fine with us. We had a sit and watched the wildlife coming through our cabana and had a giggle when a squirrel came and helped itself to some of our snacks. This little animal was one of our favourites...

So Han had a chill on the hammock, Eliana and Josiah went in the warm freshwater lagoon
and I went into the grand reef again and then into the lazy river. Thanks to the snorkel and goggles I made it round the entire thing without getting my face out of the water, it was so relaxing and also interesting to see what they have done with the floor of the lazy river. So many different things to look at!

There were almost tears when it was time to go. The kids didn't want to leave and actually we didn't either.

No other way to describe it, a little piece of paradise!

We left the park chilled out having enjoyed a relaxing, fun filled day.

We had thought about having tea out, but we headed home, ate tea in the villa and all went to bed early. The kids were asleep by 9, Eliana using Gray as her pillow.

Tomorrow: Hollywood Studios, Five Guys, Sweet Tomatoes and Epcot
Man v Disney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 16, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
mossy51
Serious Dibber

Aww wow, that sounds like such a special day. I saw the video but the trippie report brings it all to life.
WDW SSR - Aug 2015 Best Family Holiday Ever! WDW SSR & Texas - Aug 2017 Once in a Lifetime Holiday the Sequel! Disneyland California - Oct 2019 Well that escalated quickly yolo trip! Disney Magic Staycation Cruise - Aug 2021 Disneyland California - April 2022 Ain't no stopping us now. Seattle and Alaska cruise - July 2022 - wow! Disneyland California - Oct 2023 Just the two of us. WDW Boardwalk - Apr 2024 2+the adult child
mossy51 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 16, 01:23 PM  
Link to this Post
phoebe23
Serious Dibber

Mobile

You've said it all!
LOVE LOVE LOVE Discovery Cove...
phoebe23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 16, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Man v Disney
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by mossy51 View Post
Aww wow, that sounds like such a special day. I saw the video but the trippie report brings it all to life.
It was amazing. Even more so when you think there are no 'rides' as such. Still plenty to do though, I wore my wetsuit all day! Other than toilet stops
Man v Disney is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 16, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Man v Disney
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by phoebe23 View Post
You've said it all!
LOVE LOVE LOVE Discovery Cove...
The kids want to go back already! We have said that is a special thing, once per holiday! A very special place
Old 13 Aug 16, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Mobile

What a lovely day - it sounds so special
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 16, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Man v Disney
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by sheluk View Post
What a lovely day - it sounds so special
It really was, I couldn't recommend it enough
Old 13 Aug 16, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We had that cabana ( and the squirrel lol) , fab location. And we got AKai , he's a lovely dolphin. My boys had the buoy delivered to them both with both their names on and it was truly magical. Much to the disgust of the American little girl in our party ( think verruca salt) who demanded to her parents why she wasn't getting a buoy! Classic. It really is a fabulous place. Glad you and such a great day
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 16, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Danielle24
Imagineer

Mobile

Getting me excited for our discovery cove day! We have the elite package too. Sounds like you had a wonderful day
Danielle24 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 16, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
oribanana
Getting to know the DIBB

Have never fancied DC but your day has made me consider booking it on our next trip. What a wonderful day! Loving your trip report, thanks for sharing.
oribanana is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List