Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Aug 19, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
I’ve never understood why tipping is done in percentages

Dors the waiter/waitress do more work serving lobster and caviar in a Michelin starred restaurant than in a greasy spoons cafe ?
This bugs me too. We are using some of our wedding present money to go to the Fat Duck tomorrow night.

There is a 12.5% service charge, but that's going to equal a £120 tip. That is more in itself than we have ever spent on a meal for 2.

Don't get me wrong, I've budgeted it, and I will pay it, but I do feel it perhaps a little unfair.
Old 23 Aug 19, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
claireyfairy8
Apprentice Imagineer

claireyfairy8's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
We once got chased in New York when I was about 8.
We had a horrendous meal, won't bore with details, but the server was really rude. The manager comped some stuff for us too.

When it came to paying, we did so and didn't leave a tip.
The waiter followed us down the street 2 blocks to ask why we didn't leave him a tip!

It's incredibly rude.

As much as it's "custom to tip" and I'm a tipper, it is getting ridiculous. Servers are demanding more and more and in my opinion, the service is not the same standard that it used to be in FL. Disney included.
claireyfairy8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
Really? If you had done that to me I’d have taken the $20 tip back. Personally I would have tipped more but unless it’s a compulsory tip then everything should be accepted graciously and it would be bad mannered to confront a diner
Also, it wouldn't be legal to demand more. The law - and the IRS - makes it quite clear that the tip is voluntary. It is purely up to the customer how much they tip or even if they tip at all. Demanding that the customer tips a certain amount is not allowed.

Dors the waiter/waitress do more work serving lobster and caviar in a Michelin starred restaurant than in a greasy spoons cafe ?
Potentially, yes.

In theory, the server in a posh restaurant should have more skill and knowledge, offering their recommendations on which wine best accompanies that lobster and caviar, more insight into the ingredients and methods used to prepare this dish, and generally offering more of a service than that in a greasy spoon cafe. Just as the food is significantly better in the Michelin-starred restaurant, so is the service.

That's why a percentage was first suggested as a convenient and simple way to judge how much you should give. The more expensive the meal, the better class of service you'll probably receive, and hence the suggestion that you base the tip on a fraction of the meal cost.

It's a convenient rule-of-thumb. You're not meant to stick religiously to it. And, of course, you're supposed to adjust the amount you give depending on the actual service you receive.

In practice, I guess it depends on how much you use the experience and knowledge of your server. Many of us don't question our server about the dish, asking for their recommendations on which soup course goes best with the lobster, or which one of the many single malt whiskeys best compliments the caviar. So the service we receive tends to be mostly the same.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Holiday in Japan - they see tipping as an insult and you could not wish for more polite and helpful service.

Things seem to be getting out of hand in the USA.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by bighal View Post
Anyone who chased me to get me to increase their tip would result in myself going back and demanding my tip back and compensation from the employee/restaurant. I certainly would be taking it up with management at the time as well explaining why.
If I had the balls, I'd also be pointing out that what they did was in direct contravention of the Revenue Ruling 2012-18 that states that a tip must be made free from any compulsion, that the customer must have the unrestricted right to determine the amount, and that the amount paid should not be the subject of negotiation or dictated by employer policy. And then state that I'd be reporting them to the IRS.

I have no idea how to report them to the IRS and I doubt I'd actually say the above. But it's easy to say these things on the internet.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Let's throw this in the mix.

I am watching the morning News here now.

Osceola County are giving a $20 bonus a day to their fully qualified teachers on top of their $12 an hour rate. This is because they are having difficulty recruiting. However this bonus is only payable on 11 days of the year not every day.

The $12 rate is only paid to those with many years of service. Newly qualified teachers get $9 an hour.

Servers in top Disney Signature restaurants are on over $100k per annum.

The World has gone nuts.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 12:43 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
MsMinervaMouse
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Let's throw this in the mix.

I am watching the morning News here now.

Osceola County are giving a $20 bonus a day to their fully qualified teachers on top of their $12 an hour rate. This is because they are having difficulty recruiting. However this bonus is only payable on 11 days of the year not every day.

The $12 rate is only paid to those with many years of service. Newly qualified teachers get $9 an hour.

Servers in top Disney Signature restaurants are on over $100k per annum.

The World has gone nuts.
That's less than someone in the UK would make working at McDonalds!
Old 23 Aug 19, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
DreamDisney
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
That is what is expected - I guess as he has lived in California for 60 of his 65 years and now owns bars in Laguna, Vegas and New Orleans he is better qualified than I to know what to tip
I'm sure he does, and I'm sure it is expected. But still, 25-30% is a ludicrous amount!

I have to wonder how low their basic is to be expecting such high tips? Or is it because the cost of living is higher there? Or both? I can't imagine a server's salary going very far in San Fran, for example!

Mr Tom Morrow - $100k pa?! I'm in the wrong job!
DreamDisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
mariechez
Imagineer

mariechez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10

I don't mind tipping but this is what winds me up. We were tipping $70+ a meal sometimes because of more expensive drinks and food (onsite). That's a lot of money.

ORLANDO 03,04,05x2,07,O8,09,10x2,11x2,12x2,13,14,15,16
LV x2,SAN FRAN & LA,CRUISING THE CARIBBEAN,BALTICS ,FJORDS,BAHAMAS,ITALY,
BARCELONA,FRANCE, PORTUGAL,BOSTON, NEW ENGLAND,BELGUIM,GUERNSEY. NEW YORKx3 & MIAMI
mariechez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 01:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mariechez View Post
I don't mind tipping but this is what winds me up. We were tipping $70+ a meal sometimes because of more expensive drinks and food (onsite). That's a lot of money.
Well I know a lot on here will probably shoot me down in flames but I think that sort of tip is ludicrous.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List