Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Aug 19, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
What you earn is irrelevant though.
You've chosen to eat at a table service restaurant in a particular price bracket. No one forced you not to eat at a cheaper one or even QS where a tip isn't customary . It is just part of the cost of eating out in America and should be a part of deciding if a particular restaurant is "worth it" to you personally (we all place different values on "worth it" it's incredibly subjective)
The problem is that the suggested % has been increasing for no real reason. What has changed service wise over the last 10 years or so to go up from 10 to 12% to now saying 18 to 20%?

At the end of the day I tip what and who I want. If they don't like it then tough, its my choice not theirs.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 09:15 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

My brother worked as a waiter at a moderate to expensive restaurant in Cape Cod over 30 years ago. The average tip was 15%+ even then unless at a buffet. Suggested amounts at places like Disney have crept up over the years but it certainly wasn't 10% for full service restaurants a few years ago.
Old 24 Aug 19, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

You've chosen to eat at a table service restaurant in a particular price bracket. No one forced you not to eat at a cheaper one or even QS where a tip isn't customary . It is just part of the cost of eating out in America and should be a part of deciding if a particular restaurant is "worth it" to you personally (we all place different values on "worth it" it's incredibly subjective)
What you earn is very relevant in my view as we keep being told the reason for tipping is because they aren't earning much.
As I said, I had an ex Disney employee telling me the servers had the best cars in the car park and many on 100k a year.
That influences my tip at least.
Personally I think Disney know the food has gone up massively v inflation and they know how much servers there are earning. Rather than jumping on the bandwagon, they should show responsibility to their customers and put on the bills 10- 15%. The service staff would still be amongst the best paid in the world.
Remember when DDP started, it was Disney that paid their staff.

Edited at 09:49 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
°o°-Hannah-°o°
Imagineer

°o°-Hannah-°o°'s Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
The problem is that the suggested % has been increasing for no real reason. What has changed service wise over the last 10 years or so to go up from 10 to 12% to now saying 18 to 20%?

At the end of the day I tip what and who I want. If they don't like it then tough, its my choice not theirs.
We’ve been travelling around the states for more than 15 years and it’s never been 10-12% for table service, always 18-20% for food service
Old 25 Aug 19, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Dougie
Imagineer

Dougie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
So, say someone goes to Denny's and has great service and then the following night, decides to go to some upscale very nice restaurant for a special occasion and the server is also very good.

So by the above logic , the second server should get more tips just because of where they work ?

Sorry, but I disagree. I pay on service and not what the bill was.

Edited at 10:44 AM.
Dougie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 09:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
So, say someone goes to Danny's and has great service and then the following night, decides to go to some upscale very nice restaurant for a special occasion and the server is also very good.

So by the above logic , the second server should get more tips just because of where they work ?

Sorry, but I disagree. I pay on service and not what the bill was.
You can bet any money the server in the upscale restaurant is getting paid a much better wage than the server in Denny’s , I agree that we should tip for the service we receive not the price of the food .
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by °o°-Hannah-°o° View Post
We’ve been travelling around the states for more than 15 years and it’s never been 10-12% for table service, always 18-20% for food service
I stand by my comment, I could dig out my old receipts, I have them for just about all of Disney trips but I can't be bothered.

As I have always said tip what you like and ignore what anyone else tells you should be tipping including those on here and what they suggest on any receipts.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

When we first went on our Honeymoon, 30 years ago, it was 10-15%
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

And why should you pay more if you eat more expensive meals/ drink better wine in the same restaurant? The amount of work is the same.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 19, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
w513mfs
Excited about Disney

This happened to us in Miami a few years ago.

We were a group of four we had a meal the service was ok not brilliant. The bill came at the end of the night can't remember what it was but it had at the bottom of the bill suggested tip of a random amount of 28 dollars. Now remember this was a suggested tip.

Any way none of us had ones or change so we left 25 dollars tip. The guy chased us down the street saying we had shorted him 3 dollars. And was the service not worth it. We all looked at each other and laughed partly as were feeling very uncomfortable and partly because of pure disbelief. In the end out of pure agonising pain to make it stop i offered him a 100 and asked for 97 dollars change.

He obliged which i must admit was a bit of a disappointment.

Since then i have taken the stance that i will only tip 10% (After tax with food) across the board no matter what That's taxi drivers everything. You have a problem its yours not mine.

To be honest its why i prefer restaurants such as yellow dog or jimmy hulas, Its kept simple.

I have read lots on this and can see it from both sides. But to be honest the culture of tipping is bad for the country and the the staff. A lot of the tips are not taxed or declared. It also helps to lower staff wages. It doe's not encourage better service especially if you are a person of colour. I would prefer to pay a little more for the food.

FLORIDA TRIPS 1994,1995,1996,2005,2007,2007 PART2,2008,2010,2016,2017, 2018, 2021, 2022 and 2024 coming soon
w513mfs is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List