Notices
Offers, Discounts, Codes, Cashback and UK Shopping Money Saving tips, UK shopping topics , discount links and offers.

Old 28 Jun 20, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Neil & Stella
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Food Bank suggestions

We have recently started adding things to our weekly shop to put into the food bank trolley in our local Morrisons, but are running out of ideas for new things to get. We have bought nappies one week, pasta and sauce another, tea and coffee, shampoo and other personal hygiene products, washing powder, etc, but could do some more ideas, as we don't want to be too samey.

Any original ideas or if anyone who works in a food bank want to tell me what we should be getting would be great.
Old 28 Jun 20, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

Samey is fine as we all need those kinds of products. I’d just ask them what they need. Ours is currently long life milk and fruit juice, but through the covid crisis they have been getting lots of support from supermarkets so it’s probably the things they don’t get from them which are needed. Thank you for contributing - everything will be gratefully received
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 20, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

I’d check with your local food bank as they will know what they need.
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 20, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

I don't tend to go to the supermarket so have set up a standing order to ours each week. They can then buy in bulk exactly what they need. I thought it was a great idea to do it that way
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 20, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Bella Girl
slightly serious Dibber

Bella Girl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Have a look on the Trussell Trust webSite for a Foodbank near you and it will tell you what that Foodbank is currently short of.

Thank you so much for your generosity and kind heart wanting to help your local community.

Part of my job is overseeing the running of a large Foodbank. Since lockdown we have seen a 98% in need and a 180% increase in the numbers of children we are feeding. We are seeing families present at our Foodbank who have never needed this help before and they cannot believe they are in this situation.

Without kind people like yourselves, we could not help these people.
Bella Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 20, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Cereals especially the variety packs, biscuits, chocolate bars as well as all you said. We donate for rough sleepers too and they do like sucky sweets.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 20, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

I too tend to donate cash via the Trussell Trust 'text to donate', they can either get exactly what they need or use it towards their operating costs
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 20, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I found that our supermarket was taking its donated foods to a hub 30 miles away. I know it's still helping those in need but I wanted my donations to help my community. The local church runs one and gets referrals from cab, soc services etc. I now donate to them. They have some people who give cash, others are known as the pasta ladies and others are surprise donaters. All are equally appreciated and welcomed.
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 20, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Trussell Trust website has a list of things they need, or you could ring your local branch and ask if there’s anything they need.

I can only add that I see a lot of people who come to CAB to ask for a voucher to go to the food banks as I’m a CAB advisor. They often chat and mention things they need, women’s sanitary items, shampoo, pet food and cereals are often mentioned as things they would be grateful for.
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jun 20, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I tend to buy whatever is on offer and try to give what would make a meal - ie pasta and sauce.

Any cereal, biscuits, also the 3 for a £1 sweets.

Tins of beans - 4 tins for £1 in tesco, tins of tomatoes,

Also if there are 3-4-2 if its what I need i'll keep 1 or 2 and give the rest in.

Soreen loaf etc.

When there were easter eggs or selection boxes on offer i'll buy them too.

I realise how lucky we are to have a good life on 2 incomes so feel I should do my bit.
katiec68 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List