Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 7 May 20, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
emmsy
Imagineer

Mobile

I haven September flights booked with virgin from Glasgow and had no idea they are stopping them? Can someone tell me what’s happening? Thanks so much xx
Old 7 May 20, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
col1968
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by emmsy View Post
I haven September flights booked with virgin from Glasgow and had no idea they are stopping them? Can someone tell me what’s happening? Thanks so much xx
No one knows as yet, but the va announcement only mentions LHR and MAN so assumptions being made no GLA flights this year!
col1968 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 20, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
emmsy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by col1968 View Post
No one knows as yet, but the va announcement only mentions LHR and MAN so assumptions being made no GLA flights this year!
Oh no! The news just gets worse and worse each day! I love this route as makes life so much easier with my autistic son and toddler would hate the thought off having to travel to Manchester. What do people think they would offer instead? Would we get a full refund of our route was no more? Xx
Old 7 May 20, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
shamu1
Imagineer

shamu1's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
I see there is a virgin 747 just landed at glasgow today from heathrow. is this flying to Orlando tomorrow? or just parking them up at Glasgow
Old 7 May 20, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
I see there is a virgin 747 just landed at glasgow today from heathrow. is this flying to Orlando tomorrow? or just parking them up at Glasgow
The 747's were immediately withdrawn from passenger service the other day and all virgin flights so far have been cancelled from Glasgow until 23rd May...that'll keep rolling until they make an announcement saying otherwise.

That flight is either operational to park it up until it's final destination is decided or it's a cargo flight to bring supplies up from LHR.
Old 7 May 20, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordie Al
Imagineer

Originally Posted by thatdavieguy View Post
The 747's were immediately withdrawn from passenger service the other day and all virgin flights so far have been cancelled from Glasgow until 23rd May...that'll keep rolling until they make an announcement saying otherwise.

That flight is either operational to park it up until it's final destination is decided or it's a cargo flight to bring supplies up from LHR.
Daft thing is though they continue to sell seats on 747s as well as flights from Gatwick
Old 7 May 20, 04:15 PM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Geordie Al View Post
Daft thing is though they continue to sell seats on 747s as well as flights from Gatwick
They've not handled this situation well at all.

All of the 747's are now either at Man or GLA from what i can see.

2 of them (G-VXLG at GLA & G-VAST at MAN) are airline owned, the rest are leased so will likely be getting primed to be de-branded and then returned to the lessee for them to decide if they lease them out again or scrap.

I'd imagine they'll aim to hold onto the pair of these and do some special flights before they are retired to give the 747 a send off like they no doubt had planned.
Old 7 May 20, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Unicorn13x
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Does Anyone know what planes are replacing the 747?
Unicorn13x is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 20, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
JayPR
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by disneypars View Post
We have flights booked with VA from Glasgow in October. First trip with grandchildren. Seats booked in bubble. Booked with VA because it's a direct flight. Indirect not an option due to grandchildren needs.
Ditto but not in the bubble

We also booked VA as its direct along with we,re going for just the 12 nights and not 2 weeks.

Indirect or change of departure airport eg Manchester not an option for us either due to grandchild needs
JayPR is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 20, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Unicorn13x View Post
Does Anyone know what planes are replacing the 747?
Eventually, once they're all delivered, it'll be the A350 but that'll be a long term as the ones they have just now are setup for business not leisure.

What aircraft in the short term, it'll likely be a mix of what's left which are A330's & Dreamliners

Virgin's active fleet is: 14 x A330's, 17 x Dreamliners & 4 x A350's (3 more have been named but are not yet delivered)

The major issue Virgin have is the quality issues of the dreamliner engines...they could easily find themselves with problems and needing to wet lease.

Edited at 04:35 PM.
thatdavieguy is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List