Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Closed Thread

Old 23 Nov 20, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

I don’t feel guilty but I’m certainly more aware of how my meat eating is impacting the planet’s sustainability and I’ve started to make a determined effort to eat less meat for that reason.

My DH really enjoys meat and would eat it every meal so it’s a challenge to cut it down in our diet. But we have fish once or twice a week and a vegetarian meal once a week now. I’m really enjoying a lot of the vegetarian recipes I’ve been making, and even DH says they taste good. We rarely eat beef, and use pork or turkey mince as an alternative to minced beef. I will happily eat a veggie burger instead of a beef burger, but DH isn’t keen on veggie burgers.

It’s small changes, but I’m hoping that it’s helping in some way. I have no problem with eating meat because it comes from an animal, but I do feel we cannot keep eating meat on the level that the world is now as it’s just not sustainable
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by LostPrincess View Post
I'm genuinely sorry if my phrasing has upset you, I did put in my first post that there was no judgement on anybody, and I never intended to make anyone feel like they should feel guilty. My intention was only to try and discuss my own current feelings and I can't think of an alternative word.

*edit- I've changed the title and my first post to take the word guilty out of it but I'm not sure it helps, I'm struggling to express it without implying negative feelings because that's how I'm feeling
Not a problem, when I say I strongly object that's more of a general tone rather than your thread specifically.

There are many reasons to follow a particular diet, it's empowering for that individual to be able to choose. That's how I view it, a positive rather than a negative. I'm a glass half full person and will always look for the light instead of lingering on the dark (there I am being judgemental on the virtues of light and dark!).
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
princess allie
VIP Dibber

I was a vegetarian from age 14 to 40. I’m now 53, i don’t eat much meat, but what I do eat, I don’t feel guilty about. We try to have fish at least once a week and maybe a veggie meal thrown in there too. We mostly eat chicken. We have farmer friends who raise cows for beef, I’ve helped feed some of their calves and although I know they will eventually be on a plate, I can live with it. Their meat is butchered and sold locally, the animals treated well, so I feel it’s ok.

1998 Villa in Kissimmee 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge 2014 Villa Lake Berkeley 2016 Villa Bass Lakes 2017 Villa on Solana and Vero Beach 2018 Villa on Highlands Reserve and St Pete Beach 2019 SLC, Cabana Bay, Highlands Reserve & Coronado Springs, 2020 Feb half term villa chilling. 2022 villa on Calabay Park and a trip Clearwater beach. 2023 Orlando and Clearwater
princess allie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsMoney
slightly serious Dibber

Been vegan for nearly two years now. Went from omnivore to vegan. My husband and two children are also vegan. We originally did it for ethical reasons but the health benefits have been incredible and of course it’s much better for the environment. It is definitely much easier than I ever imagined it could be. I tried going veggie about 5 years ago and didn’t last a week but by the time I’d decided to go vegan I’d really educated myself on meat production and the dairy industry so it was easier than expected. Plus there are so many vegan choices nowadays that we really haven’t struggled.

I absolutely do feel there is no such thing as a perfect vegan though. You just do your best.
MrsMoney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Disneydaffodil - we like the Linda Mcartney quarter pounders with mozzarella, the Tesco plant chef ones and also the M&S plant food ones. DH really missed burgers when he went vegetarian but happily eats these
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by COL41 View Post
Disneydaffodil - we like the Linda Mcartney quarter pounders with mozzarella, the Tesco plant chef ones and also the M&S plant food ones. DH really missed burgers when he went vegetarian but happily eats these
I actually bought the Linda MCartney quarter pounders with mozerella as they were on offer in Tesco last week so I will definitely try DH with those. Until now, I’ve tried the actual vegetable burgers which I loved but DH didn’t, so maybe he will prefer the meat alternative ones.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
I actually bought the Linda MCartney quarter pounders with mozerella as they were on offer in Tesco last week so I will definitely try DH with those. Until now, I’ve tried the actual vegetable burgers which I loved but DH didn’t, so maybe he will prefer the meat alternative ones.
I can’t stand the ones with mashed vegetables in. I don’t like the thin quorn ones as they’re a bit like cardboard whereas the ones I mentioned all stay quite moist.
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by COL41 View Post
I can’t stand the ones with mashed vegetables in. I don’t like the thin quorn ones as they’re a bit like cardboard whereas the ones I mentioned all stay quite moist.
Thanks, I’m looking forward to trying them now. I’ll report back and let you know what I (and DH) think of them
Old 23 Nov 20, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Barmybuckle View Post
I completely agree about not applying the word guilt for food that’s considered bad for us e.g. burgers and chocolate.

However your comparison with sex is flawed. Unless it’s rape, there is no victim from having sex. Eating meat, dairy and eggs causes suffering and death.
Burgers and chocolate are not bad for us, in moderation.

You say there are now victims from having sex. Ask the Catholic Church about their views on sex, various other religions for their view on homosexual sex and even sections of society who maim their females.

As for meat causing suffering and death, I agree and I accept that cost.

I buy rice, tropical fruits, clothing, electronics, pharma and a never ending list of products that cause suffering and death of humans all over the World. I accept that cost too.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
Burgers and chocolate are not bad for us, in moderation.

You say there are now victims from having sex. Ask the Catholic Church about their views on sex, various other religions for their view on homosexual sex and even sections of society who maim their females.

As for meat causing suffering and death, I agree and I accept that cost.

I buy rice, tropical fruits, clothing, electronics, pharma and a never ending list of products that cause suffering and death of humans all over the World. I accept that cost too.
At the end of the day, life is about achieving sensible balance.. or at least it is in my world... and of course being comfortable with decisions made. I eat absolutely anything that I like the taste of .

Favourite eat ever.. very rare fillet steak. Something about the blood.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 12:48 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread