Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Nov 20, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

Noises in the loft...

Every year at this time ,for about 3 weeks this happens!..it really freaks me out!..I am not sure whether its mice or rats but it wakes us up..you can hear running at times so its not birds or squirrels ..Luckily i work nights so that helps but i dread this every year!...the loft is clean and clear during the day so they must come in during the night..
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

My next door neighbours started converting their loft about six weeks ago. Ever since then I’ve been hearing rustling in the walls at night, it goes on too long for it to be bits of the wall crumbling, there’s definitely something in there.
Fluffypenguin is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by macdonald View Post
Every year at this time ,for about 3 weeks this happens!..it really freaks me out!..I am not sure whether its mice or rats but it wakes us up..you can hear running at times so its not birds or squirrels ..Luckily i work nights so that helps but i dread this every year!...the loft is clean and clear during the day so they must come in during the night..
Any droppings visible? If not I lay odds it’s the wind moving the insulation about.

Squirrels, bats, mice, rats etc etc will always leave some trace of having been there. I’ve put my knee in the darn stuff often enough when working in roofs over the years!

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Bartswife
Imagineer

My in laws had rats running around in their loft. In a row of terrace houses they managed to scurry along from house to house. I’ve seen for myself how they squeeze through gaps, there’s a crazy woman feeds them where I work and when driving to work I see them dive down the drains when I drive down the driveway.
Bartswife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Any droppings visible? If not I lay odds it’s the wind moving the insulation about.

Squirrels, bats, mice, rats etc etc will always leave some trace of having been there. I’ve put my knee in the darn stuff often enough when working in roofs over the years!
No have never seen droppings...i would be ssssssssoooo happy if you are right..but a couple of time with the noises r have heard a scampering sound?
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
We had mice a few years ago, came via other peoples Ivy .
We found they had eaten into a beany bag.
Droppings gave them away
I would say if there are no signs of droppings its not an animal
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Have you tried leaving a trap? That way you will know for certain. You can buy humane traps 👍🏻
If it is rats/mice they can easily get into the rest of your house. They get everywhere.
Floridatilly is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
We have had mice in loft on and off for about 10 years. As have lots of our neighbours.
We had the council come out at one stage about 6 years ago as we had caught a few . The man came out and said if we hasn’t told him he would have never have known as there was no signs , no droppings.

He put poison down in trays and came out a couple of more times. They never touched that poison so we went back to traps and caught them now and then.

We in the last year put trays down and they have been taking that as there are some little pieces of the stuff beside the tray and now can see droppings in one place specifically.i
Old 23 Nov 20, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Have you tried leaving a trap? That way you will know for certain. You can buy humane traps 👍🏻
If it is rats/mice they can easily get into the rest of your house. They get everywhere.
... No we have never put a trap down as me "Nanny" ,my daughter and grandaughter live together and being 3 ladies we are to scared to look afterwards!
Old 23 Nov 20, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scottishmum View Post
We have had mice in loft on and off for about 10 years. As have lots of our neighbours.
We had the council come out at one stage about 6 years ago as we had caught a few . The man came out and said if we hasn’t told him he would have never have known as there was no signs , no droppings.

He put poison down in trays and came out a couple of more times. They never touched that poison so we went back to traps and caught them now and then.

We in the last year put trays down and they have been taking that as there are some little pieces of the stuff beside the tray and now can see droppings in one place specifically.i
... yes we also called a man out that also saw no droppings and poison was not touched...it generally only lasts for about 3 weeks each year..i cannot stand it though!