Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 29 May 18, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber

NewtoOrlando's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile 10 nights West Coast...what would you do?

So we went to Florida in 2016 & we're going again in 79 days. We've booked a villa for next October half term, which we can change the date of if needed, but part of me wants to try something different and leave WDW till Star Wars is fully opened.

We can go for 10 nights to LA. I'd like to do Disney, Warner Bros studio, and go down to San Diego. Whilst in LA I'd like to do the usual Hollywood stuff - see the sign, stars on the wall of fame and visit the beach (presuming the weather in October would be ok for the beach) My kids will be 13 & nearly 12. Would hire a car. Would ideally like to fly into LA and out of San Diego. Would a few days in anaheim, followed by some time near Hollywood (no idea what area to look at) and 3 nights in SD. Would that work? I have no idea!

Just trying to see if I can make it work and have no idea!

Any advice?

Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
New York - Westin Grand Central - Nov 18
Disneyland Paris - Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Miami/Hard Rock hotel/Pop Century/Legacy Park Dibb Villa - Aug 2022

Saratoga Springs/Rosen Plaza - Dec 2024
NewtoOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 18, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

We did 12 nights in Joshua Tree and San Diego at Christmas - no interest in Disney We loved SD - we spent at least part of every day bodyboarding on the beach and then lots of exploring the area. I did a trippy in my signature if you want to see what we got up to!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 18, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

For ten days I would fly into San Fran do a couple days there, Alcatraz , the bridge and Sausalito. Drive to Monterey arrive 10 / 11 , aquarium and 17 mile drive, stay either Monterey or Carmel . Coast to Santa Barbara stopping to see elephant seals at san Simeon.
In to La 3/4 nights max and 2/3 sandiego.
Driving San Fran Monterey 2 hours
Monterey Santa Barbara leisurely drive with lots of stops 6/7 hours,as you turn every corner another? Let’s take a photo opertunity
Santa Barbara to LA 2/3 hours
LA to San Diego 2 / 2/5 hours
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 18, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
pompeyboy
Apprentice Imagineer

We done 10 nights last Oct-Nov, 3 nights in San Fran, about right, a bridge, a prison, some old cable cars and a bendy road. I'm sure we missed stuff there but felt we had done enough. Then down the PCF/highway 1 to Monterey, we carried on down the coast road and then turned back, had a quick stroll round Monterey. Could have spent longer but when you only have 10 nights corners had to be cut.

Next day drove down towards LA on the 1/101 again beautiful scenery but only stopped briefly as had to meet daughter at LAX 9p.m. arrival. Picked her up and spent the last 6 nights in Anaheim, 2 days in Disney, should have done 3, 1 day in Knotts, not overly impressed, quite a few big rides down for maintenance but glad we went, the original American theme Park possibly.

We drove into Hollywood 1 day and Santa Monica/Venice Beach another. We could have moved hotels but preferred the flexibility of staying in one, if that makes sense.

We barely scratched the surface but so glad we did the trip. i would say don't underestimate the distances and times involved in getting between places, sounds obvious but foolishly thought the 30 miles to Anaheim, on a Friday evening would take an hour tops! An hour later we had gone about 3 miles!
pompeyboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 18, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

For 10 days I would stick with what you have and not do San Fran etc.

Flight wise cheapest will be in and out of LAX. Sandiego is only 2-3 hours from LA.

I would do 2-3 nights in North LA, maybe Burbank to do Universal, Warner Bros, Hollywood etc. Then down to Anaheim for 3 nights for Disney. Next down to San Diego for 3 nights. Lastly back to LA somewhere on the coast near the airport ready for your flight home
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 18, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
For 10 days I would stick with what you have and not do San Fran etc.

Flight wise cheapest will be in and out of LAX. Sandiego is only 2-3 hours from LA.

I would do 2-3 nights in North LA, maybe Burbank to do Universal, Warner Bros, Hollywood etc. Then down to Anaheim for 3 nights for Disney. Next down to San Diego for 3 nights. Lastly back to LA somewhere on the coast near the airport ready for your flight home
This. Although personally I'd skip Hollywood and do San Francisco instead (nicer and far more interesting, IMO) but if those items are must dos for you, this is the most sensible routing and timings.

BA fly direct out of SD so you might be able to get a decent price on an open-jaw/fly-drive so you skip that last day back up to LA. But it's correct that you'll probably get the best deal in/out of LAX. Santa Monica is pretty close to the airport and makes for a fun final day.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 18, 06:50 AM  
Link to this Post
UncleLatch
Imagineer

UncleLatch's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I'd be incline doing to check the difference in flying in and out of LAX (usually the cheapest option by far) rather than open jaw via San Diego. BA do fly direct to SD but the prices can be eye watering so the open jaw option would reflect that.
UncleLatch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 18, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
I would say in/out of LAX would be best (if you are flying from UK with BA it's the A380 - lovely plane). Easy drive to SD from LA - once you get out of LA.
We stayed at Manhattan Beach - lovely beach and very close to LAX (Marina Del Rey is same but at North side of LAX).
Good access to Hollywood (bit of a dive if you ask me but good to see it once) - we liked the Griffith Observatory, close to sign and good trail walks.

Anaheim is best base for Disney - good choice of hotels and affordable here, then head down to San Diego which is lovely with loads to do - if you are on evening flight back out of LAX, drive up from SD is easy, and we did Downtown Disney and Manhattan Beach on our last day when we returned from SD.

Hotels are expensive on the West Coast - Anaheim is very affordable, you could base yourselves there, but LA traffic is horrendous - we were 1.5 hrs from Anaheim to Hollywood - outside the rush hour.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 May 18, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
kingofhonour
Apprentice Imagineer

kingofhonour's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
hi,
if you do decide to go to san Francisco check the flight prices with Thomas cook,we have booked 20 days in may next year for 719 return total for two,flying from Manchester to san fran and back out of LA to Manchester
kingofhonour is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List