Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 9 Oct 13, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Thanks for all your helpful pieces of advice.

Daytonababe - good last point on your post 16. Anyone got any other suggestions ?

Happygolucky - I understand your point . My real must do's are Vegas, Grand Canyon and Disney, ( yosemite also was a must do but keeping that back to tie in with SF and PCH on a hoped for trip in a few years ) but do want to see as much as I can while there. Palm Springs is on there really as a stopover point en route to SD , and thought the aerial tramway looked something unusual and fun to do. Hollywood is kind of a " tick it off " exercise , as I have taken the advice from many on here that LA is a big disappointment . San Diego i would have liked to see more of , but just not enough time. I'm not really big into cities , but felt that at least spending one day would give us an indication if we would want to try to do it properly on the proposed trip2)
How would you do the trip if not my way. I've already changed my plan several times so open to all thoughts.

Karen /DB - yes that drive is not one I'm looking forward to, but at least it's a bit shorter than the drive to the GC on my initial plan at the top or this thread . With stops, I'm guessing it is likely to be 8 hours of a job. PS itself isn't a must do, but it is barely out of our way, and I do like the look often tramway. Don't Intend to see anything of PS in itself, my plan would the same if the tramway was just an attraction in the middle of the desert.

Tony - flights are booked. The missus isn't the best flyer. So indirect and/or internal flights weren't really an option, our holiday dates were very inflexible , so when I saw a half decent price on a direct TC flight I went for it

Edited at 10:51 PM.
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 13, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Aside from what anyone on here thinks are you kids and wife happy with the plan and long journeys ? if so then go for it ..if not then tweak it a little till it is what you all want.

If your not into cities, could you not have 1 day less in Vegas and 1 extra day in San Diego if you'd like another day there?
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 13, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Just a thought - is it worth checking out one way flights from somewhere near the GC to San Diego? Appreciate that might not be preferable to your wife though. Just chucking it in as an option
Old 9 Oct 13, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Twentyyears
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by buryboy View Post
Thanks for that info twenty years.
Interested that you say you generally did 160-240 miles a day, yet you say DH said he preferred long drive one day then relax the next, yet it seems like you did a fair amount of driving every day ( other than your Vegas/Anaheim fix) which seems to go against what your DH preferred ?
Can you clarify please.

I have my eye on the desert rose. Sounds like you would recommend it.

What route/stopovers did you do ?
Hi Buryboy,

My route is on my pre trippie report in the index section,has cost etc as well.
Re DH and drives he reckoned a 240 day was a long one and a 160 was a short one so we relaxed more on the shorter ones; got up a bit later, didn't rush, stopped more for a nice lunch etc and some local shopping.

Loved Vegas and the one luxury night in the Cosmo and strip view but loved the space an homey feel for our last four days at the desert rose. Great for having teenagers and the price was fab, just go on line and do a dummy booking to see, no deposit just a reservation system.

Easy walk to MGM, Hooters and you can get to the strip tHrough MGM for the air con! TBH we just took the car to which ever area of the strip we wanted and valet parked.
Twentyyears is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 13, 12:33 AM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Hi twenty years
I actually plan to stop at the desert rose. Had spotted it a whole back on trip advisor and your comments about it previously had made my mind up about it.

One of my work colleagues suggested it was in a bit of a dodgy area , though backtracked a little when I showed it on the map to him as he thought it was marginally further north and marginally further east. He still thought it best to get cabs home. Did you feel safe in the area at night ?
I actually have a booking there for the first few days of our trip.
But since then ( told you I have changed my mind a lot) I have had a rethink and put Vegas at the end of the trip, so need to swap it around.
( same with my cancellable GC hotel booking, any my cancellable bookings in yosemite ( oops, but don't want to cancel them just yet in case I decide on another brainwave.

Dont think i could do so many days with a reasonable amount of driving in as you did. Think it will suit us better to do fewer longer drives than more shorter ones. But all I can do is listen to /read people's experiences and then make our own decision.

Karen - not really even considered there being any airports near the GC but will have a look. Though my missus does panic more about the take off and landing than the actual flight so a short flight is just as much of an issue to her as a long one.

DB - of course everyone has to go with what they think will be best for their family / circumstances , but having never been before or done anything similar , and everyone on here being so friendly and willing to give advice, it would seem churlish to not get everyone's opinion even if in the end none of it is acted upon.
My plans will change another half dozen times yet , so you are bound to come up with more pearls of wisdom

Think realistically even two days in SD isn't going to see much of it. So probably going to stick to one day just to take in the vibe of the place rather than actually see or do anything in particular. It's actually your love of Vegas that makes me want to have more days rather to less in Vegas . Still toying with having a day without a hotel booked , so can have the flexibility of an extra day in Disney if we feel we have missed bits out. That extra day would have to come off our Vegas allocation though

Edited at 12:49 AM.
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 13, 06:40 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Desert rose isn't in a dodgy area no reason why you would need cabs at night , well unless you didn't fancy the walk to the Main Strip area which can feel like a trek at times . ( we've stopped in the Tropicana twice so not far from the desert rose ).

It does look a lovely resort when we've been past , and it's somewhere I've briefly considered but the kids prefer the big hotels .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 13, 06:40 AM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread