Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 4 Jun 19, 03:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
My daughter is 17 and she still prefers Disney.

It's not really the child's age that matters, but what they like. An adventurous thrill-seeking 8 year old who's into Marvel, Simpsons, Jurassic Park and Harry Potter will have the best time at Universal. Whereas a 13 year old who prefers gentler rides and likes Star Wars, Toy Story, classic animated Disney movies and newer Pixar films will have the best time at Disney.

Also, this is a holiday for you as well. Which parks do you want to visit?

Personally, we like them all so tend to get 7 or 14 day tickets to Disney, 2 or 3 day tickets to Universal and a day ticket to Seaworld. Admittedly, that does make it a bit expensive though.

Originally Posted by AEHJ View Post
Looked at the disney free dining but to get this you obviously have to add on the Disney hotel and passes and that comes in at £9k before even adding on any other park tickets.
What does that £9k include? Is that at an expensive deluxe resort?

I'm looking at staying onsite at a Disney moderate resort in August 2020. It costs around £3k for the room for 2 weeks. Together with Disney tickets for 4 people that'll come to around £4.8k and will include the quick service dining plan for the 2 weeks. Even at Animal Kingdom Lodge it's only going to come to £6.8k or so. That's significantly less than £9k.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 03:12 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
AEHJ
New Poster (2)

The 9k is flights, hotel carribean and the self service with 14 day park tickets to disney.
We can stay at universal endless summer resort for £1000 which with flights and the 6park flex tickets comes in at £5700. Big difference and we have a small kitchen so can eat breakfast in the room and make sandwiches for lunch with then just having to eat out for evening meal.
Our 10yr old is over 137cm and my 9yr old is 130cm now so may or may not make the hulk ride next yr! They are dare devil's hence why I'm swayed towards universal and not wanting to be trapped into the disney money trap at £9k!

Edited at 09:10 PM. Reason: Typo
AEHJ is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
show_the_magic
Excited about Disney

Mobile

My oldest dd went to Disney with my mum when she was 9, loved it. I took her to Universal / Seaworld when she was 13 and again she loved it but it was all rides and the odd parade, not much else. She isn't coming next year (saving for a house etc with her boyfriend..) and is gutted to be missing Disney - she will be 19!

9k is an awful lot of money, what sort of package are you looking at?
show_the_magic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
HappyThoughts
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by AEHJ View Post
The 9k is flights, hotel carribean and the self service with 14 day park tickets to disney.
We can stay at universal endless summer resort for £1000 which with flights and the 6park flex tickets comes in at £5700. Big difference and we have a small kitchen so can eat breakfast in the room and make sandwiches for lunch with then just having to eat out for evening meal.
Our 10yr old is over 137cm and my 9yr old is 130cm now so may or may not make the hulk ride next yr! They are dare devil's hence why I'm swayed towards universal and not wanting to be trapped into the disney money trap at £9k!
I understand it’s a big price jump but that isn’t a fair comparison in any way. Endless Summer is a value hotel, CBR is a moderate. Universal you’re talking about taking pack lunches/eating in your room, CBR includes 2 meals & 2 snacks per day for each of you, of course the price would be higher.

Have you considered pricing up a value at Disney? That would give you one QS meal a day & you could still do pack lunches to save money.

Obviously it’s your choice what parks you visit & to be fair it doesn’t sound like you’re really a Disney person but I just think before you rule out Disney completely you should do a true comparison as you may be surprised money wise.

DLP: 2019, Feb: Santa Fe
HappyThoughts is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

I still love Disney and I've just turned 40! Last year we did 2 weeks at Disney on the dining plan in OKW, flights were £2k and I think everything else was £5.5K - it was a lot of money but we had a blast, there was so much food and onsite was really convenient, we all really enjoyed Disney, it was our 2nd trip of a lifetime visit (our 3rd will hopefully be 2021). This year we are doing a week at Universal at Endless Summer, we're not doing Disney because it would be so much more expensive, we are paying less than £4K for hotel flights and tickets this year, but that is really our limit budget wise. The only issue we had at Disney was the kids not being up for sharing a bed, which will really push the price right up if we want to go back on site - the Endless Summer 2 bed suite is amazing value.

I think really it's apples and pears, if you have the money on-site at Disney will be fabulous, if you don't want to spend so much Universal will be fab and a much cheaper option. There is a lot more at Disney. The half-way option is to hire a villa and do a few days of WDW and a day or two at Universal. My brother did this a couple of years ago, he ended up getting the Universal fast pass and did a lot of the rides in one day.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I appreciate that you haven't been for a while and thus, I have stated some things that you may already be well aware of. We are very much Villa Dwellers when on vacation.

I think that there is a magic number to this... 54.

That is 54 inches (137CM). If your boys can make this height in shoes or whatever, then every ride in Universal/Islands, SW, BG will be open to them and if into thrills, they will have an awesome time in any of them.

Now the question. Mine are 13 and 16 and every year we do the same thing. We discuss as a family which tickets we are going to buy and give 3 options.
1. A Disney 14 day ultimate with parkhopping and waterparks.
2. A Universal/Islands 14 day.. now a 3 park with Volcano Bay. (They know that they will also get a single night in Portofino,Royal Pacific or HRH on this one).
3. A Discovery Cove ultimate non swim (They have swum with Dolphins a few times and are no longer bothered). This ticket obviously covers what you have mentioned (Seaworld and Busch plus Aquatica for 14 and parking throughout.

They have been numerous times and therefore they know what each entails. they can then write those down in order of preference, 1,2 and 3. I award 3 for a first, 2 for a second and 1 for a third choice. For the last 4 visits, they have scored exactly the same and made things very easy. Discovery Cove wins, Universal second and Disney a very distant third with either 4 points (or 5 if the wife wants it over Universal). I think this always happens for a couple of reasons.
1. My wife and I were into Scooby Doo and Tom and Jerry (far more violent and interesting than Mickie and Minnie). Neither of us were in any way into the Disney films in our youth (unless Goonies was Disney).
2. My boys were not either.
3. None of us are interested in Star Wars.
4. Pirates of the Caribbean would attract us, but the investment has been small.
5. We all love Harry P.

With your family, the difference is that they have never been. Park maps are readily available on the DIBB and elsewhere. UTube covers virtually every ride and attraction available in every park. You could pick a park a night and investigate to your hearts content before voting/thrashing out what you need.

I would agree with other posters in that while Disney are great at theming, the thrills are elsewhere. If your boys have enjoyed Thorpe Park, Alton Towers or similar big rides, they may find some of the Disney rides rather underwhealming. The Disney offering is pitched differently to the other two company offerings.

Then you have to take into account Mr Potter. those two areas beat everything else hands down (imho). Star wars may change that.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 01:10 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 19, 06:34 AM  
Link to this Post
BirdsluvDisney
Apprentice Imagineer

Having been a Disney fan for many many years, I am next year not going near Disney

I am staying in the Endless Summer resort, We are doing, Universal, IOA, Volcano Bay, Seaworld, Busch Gardens, Aquatica, and non swim Discovery cove.
Apart from the DC tickets the other bundle of tickets came in cheaper than just Disney tickets.
So when I look at the bigger picture of the parks, I feel the parks we are visiting is a lot more value for us, I didn't think I would ever say that, I just feel Disney prices have soared so high, and the other parks now add so much value. Especially with Harry Potter world.

The Endless Summer resort looks amazing for families, The Two bed suites are a fab price, The added bonus of separate bedrooms and a kitchenette is fab, Also the fact that it will be on I-Drive so walking distance to loads of shops and restaurants.
You will have the trolley stop outside for going up and down I-Drive, You really wont even need to drive.
Your will have the free Universal shuttle to take you to all Universal parks so saving on parking. Early entry into Harry potter world.

I would all sit down, Give the offer of All the above parks bundle and the stay on Endless summer resort. look at all the things to do and rides.

Then give everyone the option to stay in the Disney bubble only doing Disney for 2 weeks. look at the rides and things to do, Remember you will all be sharing a room for 2 weeks but your meals and snacks will be included and it is a lot of food.

I never thought I would see the day I would put anything over Disney, But maybe other parks are becoming so much more and for me Disney may of just lost its sparkle a little bit.
I was really concerned about missing Disney on my next trip, thinking I would struggle, But the amazing Dibbers soon put my mind at ease, I was so surprised at the response at how many had dropped Disney over the years and tried the other parks and further afield instead.

What ever you chose I am sure you will have an amazing time.

Welcome to the DIBB
Old 5 Jun 19, 06:48 AM  
Link to this Post
TINKERBELL44
Apprentice Imagineer

My dd is 18 and there’s no way she would miss Disney !
TINKERBELL44 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 19, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Animagus
Imagineer

Plenty of food for thought here. I’d echo what some of the pps have said and discuss the options with your family.
We have had two holidays where we did both Disney and Universal. DD was 8 and 10. She is a thrill seeker and did every ride she could (absolutely loved Hulk last time). We’ve just returned from a trip to Disneyland Paris and, almost all the rides we did were the more thrilling options (DDs choice)
Next year we are returning to Florida and doing DC (ultimate which includes Busch, Sea World and Aquatica) and Universal. All very excited and not worried about missing out at all.
Horses for courses and all that. Whatever you decide, you’re sure to have fun.
Animagus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 19, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Not an easy answer as everyone is different. I would vote for Disney over Universal but that is because I am a wimp and do not do rides in the dark, backwards, upside down etc and like seeing the shows, parades and fireworks. However hubby and the kids(18,10 and 7 on their last trip)vote for Universal every time as they prefer the rides, less crowded and the theming is more their thing. Only DD (who will be 13) is coming on her next trip and she has voted for Universal as now tall enough for HP rides though she draws the line at going on the Hulk. I might get my DIsney fix with one day at AK and MNSSHP but questioning that too at moment due to cost v enjoyment.

Disney tickets can work out at good value if you do a Disney only holiday and enjoy waterparks given there are then 6 parks but you then miss out on all Orlando can offer. On the other hand a non Disney holiday can still be fantastic if you feel the other parks are what you and your kids would enjoy more and a lot of families (probably not on the DIBB though) go and never set foot in Disney. One of the best holidays we had was when the kids were younger and we went for 3 weeks so plenty of time for DIsney, Universal and Sea World but the $ rate was better and the park tickets were much cheaper than they are now.

Whatever you decide I'm sure you will have a fantastic first trip as a family

Edited at 09:46 PM.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List