Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 26 May 12, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
2 adults 2 week road trip - rough costs?

I haven't had time to do any proper research yet but dh is after rough costings.

We are looking at SF, pch, LA, LV & possibly Yosemite, over 14/6 nights.

There will just be dh & myself & we'll be looking at mid range hotels except LV (where I have the Cosmo in mind - thanks to you good people!) unless we find some bargains!

We are looking at Sept 12 & I am thinking of £550 per flight £100 per night hotel £500 car & no idea on spends or park tickets etc.

How much do you all budget for your west coast trips & are my thoughts anyway realistic?

Katie. X
katiec68 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 12, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Hi there

We did it for just under that, last year. We are 2 adults and 2 children and I budgeted £100 per night for hotels - just came in on budget. We stayed in a right mixture of properties; some cheapies and some lovely ones, to achieve this. Some places (Yosemite) were really pricey no matter how cheap we tried to make it.

I think we paid £700 for the car hire which was an SUV for 16 nights ( we didn't hire it for the first 4 days in SF, or the last 4 days in Disneyland).

I think you are maybe trying to achieve too many places in those timescales if you include LV and / or Yosemite. We had 3 weeks and did all you've posted except PCH. That said, you maybe happier driving lots with less breaks. I really recommend drawing possible routes on Google Maps to see the miles and routes involved.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old 26 May 12, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
busybee2
Imagineer

Originally Posted by KarenG View Post
Hi there

We did it for just under that, last year. We are 2 adults and 2 children and I budgeted £100 per night for hotels - just came in on budget. We stayed in a right mixture of properties; some cheapies and some lovely ones, to achieve this. Some places (Yosemite) were really pricey no matter how cheap we tried to make it.

I think we paid £700 for the car hire which was an SUV for 16 nights ( we didn't hire it for the first 4 days in SF, or the last 4 days in Disneyland).

I think you are maybe trying to achieve too many places in those timescales if you include LV and / or Yosemite. We had 3 weeks and did all you've posted except PCH. That said, you maybe happier driving lots with less breaks. I really recommend drawing possible routes on Google Maps to see the miles and routes involved.

Hope that helps a bit.
we drove across america last summer, and we did sfo to orlando in 3 weeks, via 16 states, san fran, fresno, grand can, yosemite, las vegas, rocky mountains, yellowstone, cheynne, st louis, altanta, orlando and then stayed in orlando for a week and then down on to miami, so it really depends on where you want to visit and how much travelling you want to do.
busybee2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 May 12, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by busybee2 View Post
we drove across america last summer, and we did sfo to orlando in 3 weeks, via 16 states, san fran, fresno, grand can, yosemite, las vegas, rocky mountains, yellowstone, cheynne, st louis, altanta, orlando and then stayed in orlando for a week and then down on to miami, so it really depends on where you want to visit and how much travelling you want to do.
Totally agree

As you say, it depends on what you want and how geared up to travelling you are (clearly, we aren't). We had one really long driving day of about eight hours and we tried to keep it under four hours generally. I couldn't have done the eight hour day multiple times. We also had a number of days where we didn't move locations at all so we weren't endlessly packing and unpacking.

I think it's worth mentioning though for folks that haven't been to Cali before that it's so big - even though you understand that and read about it can be a surprise when you arrive!

I also think there is a decision to be made over whether you want a whistle stop tour, or to spend some extra time thoroughly enjoying the places you visit. For example, we spent four nights in SF and it wasn't enough for us, whereas others say two nights is ample for them.
Old 27 May 12, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Thanks for all your replies:-)

Was out at the rugby yesterday :-) & on my phone so difficult to re-quote

I haven't looked into it enough yet to have any firm plans.

DH & I are usually more than happy to spend a few hours (or more) in the car - esp if seeing lots of new things

We generally don't talk much in the car - we just love that "being together on holiday" feel

We share the driving so as long as there are enough toilet stops long distances are ok!

Katie x
katiec68 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 12, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
I personally would rather see a few less places but spend longer in the ones that i did visit.

I would hate for example to drive all the way to Vegas and spend just two days there, you would barely touch the surface of things on offer.

Each to their own i suppose, i have friends who dont really like doing much so are happy to drive 5/6 hrs every day and barely see anything .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 May 12, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread