Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 14 Jan 18, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

C&L Beijing, Hong Kong and HK Disney Nov 2017 - Day 2 - Beijing

Day 2 - Exploring Beijing

We both woke up about 2.30am and were awake for a couple of hours. I think we finally got back to sleep about 5am but our alarms were set for 6:45am as we were only in Beijing for 72 hours so wanted to see as much as possible. We left about 7.30, stopping to get a pancake from a street seller on the way for 6¥ (about 75p) which we shared. This was nice but felt strange eating it for breakfast.

It was pretty cold .

We walked to the nearest Metro station.

We got the metro to Tien’Mann East and entered Tien’Mann Square, there was security and bag scanners to enter, as there is at the entrance to every metro station.

We had a walk around and went to the forbidden city but I had made a faux par by not bringing any ID with me so couldn’t get in !

We contemplated our options but in the end decided to just head back to the hotel to get our passports as weren’t sure whether we’d need it for anything else. It was a long way out and round back to the station but eventually we were back on the metro. We got back, grabbed our passports and headed back out again. Rather than heading straight back we got the train to Beijing Railway Station for 8¥ (£1), and walked to the Ming City Wall ruins, this was nice and quiet. We then headed over to the Temple of Heaven, we bought admission tickets for 20¥ (about £2.50) each rather than tickets to get into everything as we didn’t think we would spend too long here. We had a soft drink and some crisps for 23¥, we didn’t know what flavour the crisps were but we suspected duck, they were nice nonetheless.

We jumped on a metro back to Tien’Mann Square and tried to get into the forbidden city again - with success this time! Tickets were 40¥ each (£5). This was very impressive and spent some time wandering around and taking photos.

We decided to visit Beihai Park after, this wasn’t initially planned but it was nearby and we were glad we did, it was lovely. We were getting very hungry so went to a restaurant inside the park and ordered dumplings and some noodles. We were trying to work out how we were going to order by pointing but they bought us a English menu . These were very good and came to 34¥ including a coke.

We then walked back to the hotel, it was a fair way but we were quite far from the nearest metro stop so didn’t seem worth doing. We got back about 4pm and relaxed, our legs were both aching! We left about 6.30pm to go to Hutong (where we had been the night before). We had already decided we were going to try the duck wraps we’d seen the night before so headed there. These were 30¥ each and so amazing, apart from I spilt it all down my coat ! I was still slightly peckish so we got some churros which were also so tasty! It had definitely been a day of good food !

We headed back to the hotel, it had been a pretty tiring day so we got an early night ready for our very early start the next day !

Edited at 10:27 PM.
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 18, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

What a fabulous day! You certainly packed a lot in! As evidenced by how much you walked!

Some recognisable food choices too

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 18, 10:19 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
What a fabulous day! You certainly packed a lot in! As evidenced by how much you walked!

Some recognisable food choices too
Haha thank you, it was brilliant and that duck wrap was still one of my favourite things of the holiday!
LN89 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 18, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsSilverStar
Imagineer

that is an amazing number of steps! The food is making me hungry, all sounds lovely.
I really like how pretty the tickets are to everything! A little souvenir every time you go somewhere
MrsSilverStar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 18, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
that is an amazing number of steps! The food is making me hungry, all sounds lovely.
I really like how pretty the tickets are to everything! A little souvenir every time you go somewhere
I cannot believe how much we walked in the two days we were in Beijing either, my legs were really aching! The food was great, definitely missing it!
Old 16 Jan 18, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
FairyMagic
Excited about Disney

Mobile

WOW! Food looks lovely, making me hungry looking at the pictures, the lake in the park looks lovely, another great day and lots of walking, but we all try to see as much as we can when we haven't got a lot of time in a place.
FairyMagic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 18, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by FairyMagic View Post
WOW! Food looks lovely, making me hungry looking at the pictures, the lake in the park looks lovely, another great day and lots of walking, but we all try to see as much as we can when we haven't got a lot of time in a place.
Thank you the food was so good, I wish I had some of it again right now haha!
Old 18 Jan 18, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Found this really interesting to see, thanks for sharing your trip! Looks like you enjoyed lots of yummy food today . Off to read the rest xx
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 18, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
LN89
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by EJSakaAnna View Post
Found this really interesting to see, thanks for sharing your trip! Looks like you enjoyed lots of yummy food today . Off to read the rest xx
Thank you for reading