Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 22 Jul 19, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Upgrading an infant with free DDP

Does anyone have recent experience of upgrading an infant to get dining plan credits?
We have only booked buffets for our TS so there’s no benefit in having an extra credit there. Can we tell them she’s only 2 if she has a ticket and dining plan credits?

Do we need to scan her in to the parks and book fast passes if she is under 3 with a ticket?

I am considering upgrading because a 2019 ticket plus DVC AP upgrade shouldn’t be a lot more than buying a 2020 ticket for the next trip. We’re moving to DVC after 5 nights with free DDP and I think it would be useful to stock up on snacks for the rest of the trip.

Thanks
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jul 19, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
shelle
Apprentice Imagineer

You'd have to purchase a ticket to get dining. You wouldn't need to scan her in to the parks or for Fast pass but the ticket is non-transferrable(will usually have an end date so couldn't be used for your trip next year) so not much use.

As you say she is free at buffets so I can't see an annual pass being cheaper than children's meals for 5 days and a ticket for next year. Really you need to go through a dining calculator and work out how much you'd pay for where you're planning to eat to see if it would be worthwhile.
shelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 12:46 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by shelle View Post
You'd have to purchase a ticket to get dining. You wouldn't need to scan her in to the parks or for Fast pass but the ticket is non-transferrable(will usually have an end date so couldn't be used for your trip next year) so not much use.

As you say she is free at buffets so I can't see an annual pass being cheaper than children's meals for 5 days and a ticket for next year. Really you need to go through a dining calculator and work out how much you'd pay for where you're planning to eat to see if it would be worthwhile.
She needs a ticket for next year anyway. I'm hoping the AP will be around £150. There's around £40 difference between what we've paid for 2019 tickets in our package and 2020 tickets, so £110 for the extra meal/snack credits. It's not so much about feeding her for the 5 days as getting extra credits to stock up the cupboards for the remaining 9 nights (and buy some Ghirardelli to take home).

I think it's close either way. I can't shake the thought that it would be useful for her to have an annual pass after the next trip, just in case! I have had that regret more than once before.
Old 23 Jul 19, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Hollie I take it you are talking about the Gold? So no waterparks? TBh I think £150 for 10 snacks is pretty expensive!
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Shooby doo View Post
Hollie I take it you are talking about the Gold? So no waterparks? TBh I think £150 for 10 snacks is pretty expensive!
SD
Yes, we've never done waterparks. Ghirardelli let you turn QS and possibly TS credits in to cash. I've worked out that it's at least $160 worth of chocolate!
It's about £110 when you consider the difference in price between 2019 and 2020 tickets. It seems silly on paper, but I just keep thinking that I'd rather she had an AP in case we decide to go back next October. I don't have a good track record for saying that I won't book again and sticking to it - these trips will be 5 and 6 for her .
Old 23 Jul 19, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

Unless it has changed, your age and date of birth go into the WDW computer system so your child will be older than her actual age for years to come. This may make the cost higher than you think.

My question is do you really need that much chocolate? If you are staying DVC, run to the supermarket and get some fruit and yogurt for snacks.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
Unless it has changed, your age and date of birth go into the WDW computer system so your child will be older than her actual age for years to come. This may make the cost higher than you think.

My question is do you really need that much chocolate? If you are staying DVC, run to the supermarket and get some fruit and yogurt for snacks.
Thanks for letting me know that it will change things permanently. I wasn’t sure because she already has her own profile since we always stay on site.

I was being flippant about the chocolate, it’s the flexibility of having an annual pass. I have been pricing up October 2020 school holidays and think I’ve talked myself out of the idea of a 3rd trip anyway

Edited at 04:23 PM.
Old 23 Jul 19, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

I know that when I would book (and I always did DIY, room only) by phone, the CM would ask who was going and always knew my DD's information. We took a friend one year and her information stayed connected with my name.

My impression is Disney keeps track of everything and then uses, it for among other things marketing (I am American so may get the brunt of the marketing.)
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
I know that when I would book (and I always did DIY, room only) by phone, the CM would ask who was going and always knew my DD's information. We took a friend one year and her information stayed connected with my name.

My impression is Disney keeps track of everything and then uses, it for among other things marketing (I am American so may get the brunt of the marketing.)
Yeah, they store profiles for everyone now that it's all online. It automatically links everyone in my list when I add a hotel stay to MDE.

My job is essentially data analysis and I'm in awe of the amount of data that Disney must hold. I can imagine that it's very useful from a marketing perspective, although I don't think we see much in the UK given the long term nature of their promotions.