Old 19 Jul 17, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Bless poor TF. If I was nearer I would give him a real taste of home - a diabolo menthe! I find them a godsend in this heat. Even though a tin of sirop de menthe costs me about £4 here!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 17, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Bless poor TF. If I was nearer I would give him a real taste of home - a diabolo menthe! I find them a godsend in this heat. Even though a tin of sirop de menthe costs me about £4 here!
He'd drink it, I'm sure - so far anything I've put in front of him has been happily consumed/drunk. Go France!

Seriously, though - I am worried about his ability to cope. I've tried to only use English but he just DOES NOT understand. R.C. says he must "sink or swim" - and I fear it will be sink.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 17, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

I can't imagine what it was like for you all with Poot's op. He certainly looks (and 'sounds') happy and healthy in your TRs. Hopefully, this is all in the past now.

You can always count on kids to spill the beans, can't you?! (...When his dad has spent too many of them. ) And their timing is often perfect.

I love the Canadian fans! I've never dressed up patriotically like that, but I bet it's fun en masse.

How incredibly awkward for you trying to sit down! Such a difficult situation. I suppose the lady 'should' have purchased two seats, but I can see that might have been difficult. On the other hand, she basically passed the problem onto you instead, which wasn't really fair. I thought you handled it very well.

This lady didn't want to be sitting, though!

I have to say Poot writes a great TR, too. His jellyfish photo is fantastic and I really enjoy his perspective and details. Plus, you can't hide the fact you smeared burrito on your face when you ate with a 9 year old, can you!

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 17, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Bianca View Post
I can't imagine what it was like for you all with Poot's op. He certainly looks (and 'sounds') happy and healthy in your TRs. Hopefully, this is all in the past now.

You can always count on kids to spill the beans, can't you?! (...When his dad has spent too many of them. ) And their timing is often perfect.

I love the Canadian fans! I've never dressed up patriotically like that, but I bet it's fun en masse.

How incredibly awkward for you trying to sit down! Such a difficult situation. I suppose the lady 'should' have purchased two seats, but I can see that might have been difficult. On the other hand, she basically passed the problem onto you instead, which wasn't really fair. I thought you handled it very well.

This lady didn't want to be sitting, though!

I have to say Poot writes a great TR, too. His jellyfish photo is fantastic and I really enjoy his perspective and details. Plus, you can't hide the fact you smeared burrito on your face when you ate with a 9 year old, can you!
Poot is here with me right now - he thanks you for your kind words. We just got back from the Track and Field - and are now watching some of the races (up close on Eurosport) that we saw from afar (from our seats in Row 71 (!)) earlier today. It was great sport - we loved the Cuban heptathlete!

(and my neighbour had QUITE the moment going up on the train...when a young lovely wearing a VERY low cut top fell right into his lap )

I love when people go all out with "fan clothes". At the 2006 Olympics, we saw a contingent of Dutch speed skating fans wearing hats in the shape of giant orange clogs. OUTSTANDING.

But the seat problem got worse, I fear. I do think public places (especially in America) are going to have to come up with some sort of protocol to deal with this scenario - as it's only going to become more common.

And how utterly bizarre that both Poot and I had/have tumours in our back! Two different types - and both benign - Thank God!
Old 5 Aug 17, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Hello to Poot!

British sports events are more squiffy, aren't they? I remember seeing a family on TV going to a rugby match in New Zealand and liking how family-oriented it seemed to be (like the U.S.). Although, cricketing events here seem to be trying to be more family-friendly. Speaking of which, apparently there were audience members at the test today dressed as mail boxes! That's a little bit patriotic, I suppose.

It is strange that you and Poot both had the same affliction, but very good that they were similarly benign. Time to let the docs rest now (and buy new sweater vests )!

I haven't yet read about the seat debacle getting worse. I can't imagine!

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 17, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post

Hello to Poot!

British sports events are more squiffy, aren't they? I remember seeing a family on TV going to a rugby match in New Zealand and liking how family-oriented it seemed to be (like the U.S.). Although, cricketing events here seem to be trying to be more family-friendly. Speaking of which, apparently there were audience members at the test today dressed as mail boxes! That's a little bit patriotic, I suppose.

It is strange that you and Poot both had the same affliction, but very good that they were similarly benign. Time to let the docs rest now (and buy new sweater vests )!

I haven't yet read about the seat debacle getting worse. I can't imagine!
I am going to look up the mail boxes...I shall return...

From the Daily Mail website (my first time on that particular website):

Now that's...thinking outside the (post) box.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

We've never been to the cricket (though I imagine I would like it, as I love baseball) - but we did go to the polo when Poot was a baby. THAT was good fun. Plenty of Pimm's...but not too much.

And I'm never going to live down that sweater vest comment, I see...
Old 6 Aug 17, 12:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
I am going to look up the mail boxes...I shall return...

From the Daily Mail website (my first time on that particular website):

Now that's...thinking outside the (post) box.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

We've never been to the cricket (though I imagine I would like it, as I love baseball) - but we did go to the polo when Poot was a baby. THAT was good fun. Plenty of Pimm's...but not too much.

And I'm never going to live down that sweater vest comment, I see...
Good pic of the post boxes and I always appreciate a good pun!

I wouldn't go to a test match, though. A county Twenty20 would be more fun. Twenty overs for each team. (Each over is 6 balls.) (I don't know what you know about cricket, so apologies if that's unnecessary cricketing for dummies!) Basically it lasts half a day rather than 5 days!

Your problem with the sweater vest is that the image still makes me chuckle! I'll try and rein it in, but I can't promise anything.

Old 6 Aug 17, 09:35 AM  
Link to this Post

Good pic of the post boxes and I always appreciate a good pun!

I wouldn't go to a test match, though. A county Twenty20 would be more fun. Twenty overs for each team. (Each over is 6 balls.) (I don't know what you know about cricket, so apologies if that's unnecessary cricketing for dummies!) Basically it lasts half a day rather than 5 days!

Your problem with the sweater vest is that the image still makes me chuckle! I'll try and rein it in, but I can't promise anything.

Yes, I've often thought that Twenty20 cricket would be fun. But as DH loathes sports it would have to be another day out with Poot and my neighbour!

Though, to be fair to "proper" cricket - I do rather love the idea of a sport with a codified tea break!
Old 6 Aug 17, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
Yes, I've often thought that Twenty20 cricket would be fun. But as DH loathes sports it would have to be another day out with Poot and my neighbour!

Though, to be fair to "proper" cricket - I do rather love the idea of a sport with a codified tea break!
Yes, it is nice that test cricket has retained its historical and, lets face it, genteel details. Similarly, I think it's a reason that Wimbledon is such a special tournament. They've kept much of what makes it unique.

Different, but just as good I'm sure you'll agree (), I want to go to NFL, NHL and basketball games, for their atmosphere and authenticity, as well as the sport.

Old 6 Aug 17, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post

Yes, it is nice that test cricket has retained its historical and, lets face it, genteel details. Similarly, I think it's a reason that Wimbledon is such a special tournament. They've kept much of what makes it unique.

Different, but just as good I'm sure you'll agree (), I want to go to NFL, NHL and basketball games, for their atmosphere and authenticity, as well as the sport.
I love most sport in person. A couple of years ago we went to a college basketball game in Hawaii - and that was such a unique and fun experience. I've only seen NHL games in four cities - but I liked Nashville a lot - because of the...

The NFL I've never seen "away" - except here at Wembley. I keep meaning to get to a Bucs game in Florida, but...haven't.

And agree completely about Wimbledon. No tie-breaks in the fifth! EVER!