Restaurant Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 5
Great last day.
Old 11 Apr 17, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by RachelM View Post
Great last day.
It was really fun, despite being FREEZING cold.

Poot left his new cap at Dulles Airport the next day - so it's good that I have the photos to remember it by!

Thanks for walking the Freedom Trail with us -
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Apr 17, 11:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Wow, day of contrasts! Reminds me of our trip to NYC in 2005. It was March, and there had been snow, but it was nicely warming up - until the last day when there was a blizzard much of the day! We spent the day being grateful there is so much 'inside' in NYC!

Shame you didn't get to do Fogo but maybe next time.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 17, 01:07 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Wow, day of contrasts! Reminds me of our trip to NYC in 2005. It was March, and there had been snow, but it was nicely warming up - until the last day when there was a blizzard much of the day! We spent the day being grateful there is so much 'inside' in NYC!

Shame you didn't get to do Fogo but maybe next time.
Mmm...Fogo...it's only a chain but I love it. Caipirinhas + Steak + Cheese Puffs =

The weather stayed (mostly) cold for us until we flew back to London. You better believe I heard from R.C. about making him leave his cold-weather gear at home. Oops.

I like Montreal and Saint Paul/Minneapolis when it's cold, too - Montreal has that whole "underground city" and the Twin Cities have the skyways.
Old 30 Jun 17, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I'm surprised and somewhat disappointed at your poor planning and poor packing here. you don't seem to be repenting at all. Shame on you for not thinking there might be a blizzard in Boston and not packing accordingly for the menfolk!

The pizzas sound yummy. But a shameful attempt at eating one slice of cheesecake between the three of you. What on earth is wrong? You're on holiday, you should be in full gultony mode by now! And excuses about not liking nuts are not accepted.

After that dressing down... it's really great that Poot was able to act the tour guide for everyone and relive some of his favourite finds with you all together. I especially like the photo of him on the horse statue, he looks like he's having fun.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jun 17, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I'm surprised and somewhat disappointed at your poor planning and poor packing here. you don't seem to be repenting at all. Shame on you for not thinking there might be a blizzard in Boston and not packing accordingly for the menfolk!

The pizzas sound yummy. But a shameful attempt at eating one slice of cheesecake between the three of you. What on earth is wrong? You're on holiday, you should be in full gultony mode by now! And excuses about not liking nuts are not accepted.

After that dressing down... it's really great that Poot was able to act the tour guide for everyone and relive some of his favourite finds with you all together. I especially like the photo of him on the horse statue, he looks like he's having fun.
Best reply yet, Abby!

I PROMISE YOU, I checked the weather - and it was supposed to be WARM - 70s in Boston and 80 (!) in D.C. I was trying to make our lives easier - since we were hand-luggage only - but in the end the freezing weather (and my decision not to pack for it) "cost us" a whole day in D.C. Perhaps we'd have been better off with the EIGHT CASES we brought back from Orlando!

I did my best with that cheesecake - I think we just ordered the wrong variety (but "cookie dough" SOUNDED so good). You've seen photos of me - you know I don't have any trouble achieving "full gluttony mode".

I really do detest nuts in dessert, though. The only thing worse? RAISINS. Like finding little bits of human flesh in your food. YUK.

And YES - Poot loved being in charge. He takes after his father that way. And his mother. And - especially - his grandmother.

The "horse" was the Democratic donkey - you could also stand in Republican "shoes" that said something like "standing in opposition". I didn't dwell on the politics - as the last time DH and DM had a political "discussion" it ended with The Queen telling R.C. that if she thought like he did, she'd have to kill herself. That was the last Christmas Eve we spent together. Happy days.
Old 1 Jul 17, 06:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
The food I can't stand finding in odd places is pineapple. I really enjoy pineapple as a pudding item, but why oh why does it have to turn up in savoury. What possessed the first person to try putting pineapple on a pizza and then actually thought it was tasty. I think this aversion first began while I was at primary school as goulash was a popular dish back then but those dinner ladies managed to murder the idea and then serve it up for lunch. I've had goulash in Prague, it was yummy, so either my memory is severely distorted or that was nothing like the slop we were served.

Sometimes I wish I could be more like the people like the Queen and RC. Having a frank discussion, I'm assuming (hoping) it didn't end tooacrimoniously, although perhaps that is the very definition of "I'd have to kill myself"...I suppose I mean I hope they didn't hold grudge that lasted into Christmas Day...but it would be good to be blessed with the confidence to share ones opinion even when it is wholly different to others without worrying about upsetting them and worrying they will like me less.

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 17, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post

The food I can't stand finding in odd places is pineapple. I really enjoy pineapple as a pudding item, but why oh why does it have to turn up in savoury. What possessed the first person to try putting pineapple on a pizza and then actually thought it was tasty. I think this aversion first began while I was at primary school as goulash was a popular dish back then but those dinner ladies managed to murder the idea and then serve it up for lunch. I've had goulash in Prague, it was yummy, so either my memory is severely distorted or that was nothing like the slop we were served.

Sometimes I wish I could be more like the people like the Queen and RC. Having a frank discussion, I'm assuming (hoping) it didn't end tooacrimoniously, although perhaps that is the very definition of "I'd have to kill myself"...I suppose I mean I hope they didn't hold grudge that lasted into Christmas Day...but it would be good to be blessed with the confidence to share ones opinion even when it is wholly different to others without worrying about upsetting them and worrying they will like me less.
Not to get too serious, but that is one of the ways in which I wish women could be more like men. I really respect how (most) men can have a political/business/whatever disagreement and then go off together and have a beer. But we women () so often dwell on things FOREVER and hold grudges - and secretly wish that our adversary will be hit by a train.

Or so I've been told, I would never think that way. Well, except about Cousine X. And the other people on my "little list".

As for R.C. and The Queen - he is ENTIRELY unbothered. She...not so much. I can remember when we were first married, DM came to me and said, "Sometimes I worry about what a strong personality R.C. has. I worry that he'll steamroller you."

And it was very hard to explain to her (because we're so different) that it was actually a massive relief for me to be married to someone who knew his own mind so well - because I never had to worry about being too much for him. You see a lot of men whose wives push them around - and I can't imagine finding a man that feeble appealing in any way.

I think the longer my mother and R.C. have known each other the easier it has gotten - because she has learned he doesn't intend any malice - and he has learned she really is that sensitive. But no - that was not the happiest Christmas ever.

Totally with you on the pineapple pizza. Citrus fruit + cheese = BLEURGH! I don't want fruit in my savoury or vegetables in my sweet (I'm looking at YOU, carrot cake).

And - ah, goulash - I remember that well from school lunches, too. In America "goulash" in the 70s/early 80s was elbow macaroni mixed with tinned tomatoes and ground beef. You know I love my 70s recipes (Steak Diane, Chicken Kiev, Cherries Jubilee, FONDUE!) - but that is one I have NEVER made. "Real" Goulash is another story - so tasty. I've never been to Prague, though. I need to stop going to Florida so I can see more of Europe (said I for the 500th time, usually right before I book Florida again ).

PS: I am definitely one who can disagree with somebody - and still love them (or at least like them, lol). So feel free to let it all hang out with me. Unless you're going to tell me I look fat in something, obviously.
Old 1 Jul 17, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Well I have to disagree with you already... carrot cake is the best! What's not to like!

Prague was/is a beautiful city to visit. We went as a family a few years ago in the October half term. It was a budget trip flying with Ryanair. We had a great time and as it's a small city we walked everywhere enjoying the sights and the food. I don't think we've had goulash since then though it was so tasty but again I think something that needs to be eaten in its native country...the same as I can only eat moules and frites in Belgium! Anywhere else and it's not quite the same.

Old 1 Jul 17, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post

Well I have to disagree with you already... carrot cake is the best! What's not to like!

Prague was/is a beautiful city to visit. We went as a family a few years ago in the October half term. It was a budget trip flying with Ryanair. We had a great time and as it's a small city we walked everywhere enjoying the sights and the food. I don't think we've had goulash since then though it was so tasty but again I think something that needs to be eaten in its native country...the same as I can only eat moules and frites in Belgium! Anywhere else and it's not quite the same.

Lol, Abby - even LOOKING at carrot cake makes me want to...

But it's my mother's favourite, too. So you keep good company.

Prague is definitely a city on my list, along with Krakow, Ravenna and Split. R.C. has ZERO interest in visiting any of those places - but now I am starting to feel like Poot is old enough for the two of us to just go together. We'll see how it goes when we visit the ports on the cruise (especially the Portuguese ports - where the only words I know in the local language are "hello" and "thank you")...

And you can keep the moules, but I'll definitely share some frites (avec mayonnaise)! We loved Belgium - we were there for a wedding - and can't wait to go back. Poot wants to climb the Lion's Mound (?) near Waterloo.