Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 28 Jul 17, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

You would really enjoy Love Actually, it's good in the way we think Hallmark Movies are good.

I am stressed just thinking about a 3-course breakfast. Nik does the same his consists of a hot plate, then cereal, and finally, fruit and yogurt. Whilst my minuscule appetite and I were ready to leave half an hour ago. I've just clicked that ditching buffet breakfasts will have me on my way much faster.

Lovely panda pictures. I saw a panda in London Zoo on my first trip there in the 90s. I drew a picture of it in my 'news' book at school after the holidays haha. Did you see that awful story in the news this week about the zookeeper in China mistreating the baby panda!? I saw it by accident and truly wish I hadn't. So awful.

You are reminding me why I only like to holiday in warm places. I shall get the idea of a Christmas DLP visit out of my head immediately.

The tale of Poot and the Goths is quite heartwarming.

Nik is also 'confused' by QS restaurants, a request to 'Just tell them you want a bottle of water instead of the dining plan dessert', brings out a cold sweat. As an insider to the QS restaurant world, I can tell you that they are not the only ones, yesterday someone came to the drive thru and when asked what they would like, 'I don't know'.

I howled at 'Vulnerable Adult Alert', poor R.C.. Please tell me you got to say 'he's wearing a Gorbachev hat'. How you've mocked that hat, but when someone is lost isn't it good for them to have a distinguishable feature!? Nik disappeared when we were going through security somewhere last year. I genuinely had to ask myself if I was going to leave him behind or miss the flight. I was leaning towards leaving him behind (most cost effective I thought) but then I thought if he turned up dead somewhere later it might look slightly suspicious that I lost him and didn't seem to mind. Thankfully, he reappeared and I was spared being implicated in his murder.

I didn't know cardinals were American birds! Very pretty.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 17, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
You would really enjoy Love Actually, it's good in the way we think Hallmark Movies are good.

I am stressed just thinking about a 3-course breakfast. Nik does the same his consists of a hot plate, then cereal, and finally, fruit and yogurt. Whilst my minuscule appetite and I were ready to leave half an hour ago. I've just clicked that ditching buffet breakfasts will have me on my way much faster.

Lovely panda pictures. I saw a panda in London Zoo on my first trip there in the 90s. I drew a picture of it in my 'news' book at school after the holidays haha. Did you see that awful story in the news this week about the zookeeper in China mistreating the baby panda!? I saw it by accident and truly wish I hadn't. So awful.

You are reminding me why I only like to holiday in warm places. I shall get the idea of a Christmas DLP visit out of my head immediately.

The tale of Poot and the Goths is quite heartwarming.

Nik is also 'confused' by QS restaurants, a request to 'Just tell them you want a bottle of water instead of the dining plan dessert', brings out a cold sweat. As an insider to the QS restaurant world, I can tell you that they are not the only ones, yesterday someone came to the drive thru and when asked what they would like, 'I don't know'.

I howled at 'Vulnerable Adult Alert', poor R.C.. Please tell me you got to say 'he's wearing a Gorbachev hat'. How you've mocked that hat, but when someone is lost isn't it good for them to have a distinguishable feature!? Nik disappeared when we were going through security somewhere last year. I genuinely had to ask myself if I was going to leave him behind or miss the flight. I was leaning towards leaving him behind (most cost effective I thought) but then I thought if he turned up dead somewhere later it might look slightly suspicious that I lost him and didn't seem to mind. Thankfully, he reappeared and I was spared being implicated in his murder.

I didn't know cardinals were American birds! Very pretty.

Just you and me this week, Colette.

OK, Love Actually is on telly TOMORROW, and - conveniently - it's on while R.C. and Poot are in London for the Prom! So I will give it a try then - I have a bunch of sewing to do - might as well do it in front of the telly.

I wish my appetite was a bit more "miniscule" - but I feel your pain. After we'd been married for a while - I gave myself permission to say, "Take all the time you like, I'll wait for you up in the room." At least at home he just has cereal and toast.

I had NO IDEA there used to be pandas at Regent's Park Zoo - we only started going after Poot was born. The weather in D.C. that day was horrible - but it meant we could enjoy as much time with the pandas as we wanted. I don't actually mind holidaying in cold climates - provided I have the appropriate clothes. Perhaps I should look into getting a Gorbachev hat for myself! I can't mock R.C.'s - you should see MY winter hat (it's an oversized fleece beret that I've had for 20 years - I have a hard time finding hats that fit my enormous nut ).

...and YES, Poot absolutely said, "He's wearing a Gorbachev hat." Would you expect any less? That poor zookeeper - he was utterly baffled that I stopped him and asked for help. But I'd been through that before (MANY TIMES) with R.C. - I wanted all the help I could get.

My lovely neighbour came with us this year to the big St. George's Day festival at Wrest Park - where he got to witness R.C.'s "wandering ways" for the first time...and he said to me, "I always thought you were exaggerating about him disappearing. I can't believe he just leaves you and Poot!"

Me neither!

There's no malice in him - or in your fella either, I'd imagine - but WHY does it not occur to them to just SAY something?! Poor you, airport security is not a place for MORE stress.

We live too far out in the country for pizza delivery now - but when I lived in a big city I'd practically get heart palpitations calling to order a pie. So I don't suppose I should mock our chaps for feeling intimidated at fast food joints.

And the goth kids were sweet. One of the (many) benefits of homeschooling? Poot has no idea who he's "supposed" to like/mock/fear. I can remember being at school and thinking to myself things like...she's nice, but if I pal around with her - I'll get teased, too. I hated school for many reasons, that was only one. But it was a big one. And it's far worse now then it was when I was a girl.

PS: I hadn't heard about the panda abuse. It's the rare day I read the newspaper - I figure the REALLY important things will filter down to me at some point. I just DWELL on the horrible things I read/watch - so I've made the decision to not expose myself to them (cough*ostrich*cough). Poot does cut the "Good Deed Feed" out of The Metro for me, though.

PPS: "I don't know" ?! Did he expect you to make a recommendation - like a sommelier? "Well, Sir...our speciality is CHICKEN." What did he end up with?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 17, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

I thought of Abby this morning, I hope she's having a fab time and her trip isn't passing as quickly as it feels it is!

I hope you enjoy the movie. It is obviously best enjoyed at Christmas. It's a favourite of mine, I'm a sucker for an ensemble cast.

I can't even remember what 'I don't know', ended up with. You'd be surprised how many times it happens.

I have to read the news! It's the first thing I do in the morning and the last at night. I get agitated if I haven't checked in a while, I'm always concerned the world might end and I might have missed it. Not that anyone would have taken time to update the BBC if that had happened.

Very much looking forward to Target next week, the fifth theme park in my eyes.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 17, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post

I thought of Abby this morning, I hope she's having a fab time and her trip isn't passing as quickly as it feels it is!

I hope you enjoy the movie. It is obviously best enjoyed at Christmas. It's a favourite of mine, I'm a sucker for an ensemble cast.

I can't even remember what 'I don't know', ended up with. You'd be surprised how many times it happens.

I have to read the news! It's the first thing I do in the morning and the last at night. I get agitated if I haven't checked in a while, I'm always concerned the world might end and I might have missed it. Not that anyone would have taken time to update the BBC if that had happened.

OK, I typically associate your posts with thoughtfulness and good advice...BUT...

...made me laugh out loud. Outstanding!

I fear there are a few VERY BORING DAYS in this report - and the next day is one of them. I couldn't indulge myself at Target as I wished - since we were so limited with our luggage (no eight cases this time ).

Abby's bound to be having a great time - and it's handy for me that she's doing NY just before we do...

...as I'm hoping to pick her brain. I haven't been to NY in 15 years - and I've never been with a child. The lovely Sparsky72 (Michelle) has given me a couple of tips for cheap restaurants...I want to have a good list from which Poot can choose. I know Dibbers all seem to go to Ellen's - but I have to confess that sounds like my own personal Guantánamo Bay. People sing RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME - and then stick a collection basket under my nose? No, thank you.

R.C.'s like you with the news - no matter WHERE WE ARE, he gets twitchy if he can't lay hands on a newspaper. And telly or the "internet news" just will not do. It was properly vexing for him when we were in Hawaii and the only papers available were the local ones. I, on the other hand - loved it. I'm pretty sure the only time I've EVER used the BBC website is to check the traffic on the M25...

Hope your work week starts off well!
Old 30 Jul 17, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
It would appear that you have good taste in friends 😊 Collybird is too funny! The 5th theme park 😂 I love shopping in America, Target/Super Target are my favourites!

A couple of other restaurants we liked were Carmine's in the Times Square area (Italian food, served Family Style) Junior's in the Times Square Area (good for cheesecake) Five Napkin Burger (burgers and tacos in Hell's Kitchen) Waffles and Dinges (Liege style waffles in Bryant park - Cooper ate these for breakfast!) Bread (fancy breads - I loved the olive bread - also in Bryant Park). There is also a food destination called Eatly just near the Flat Iron building. It's owned by Mario Batali (American chef) has delicious pizza, pasta and the best pistachio gelato I have had outside of Italy 😋 They also have an amazing fresh food section that was beautiful just to wander through. We did visit more places but these were in my top 10! 😊
Sparksy72 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 17, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
It would appear that you have good taste in friends 😊 Collybird is too funny! The 5th theme park 😂 I love shopping in America, Target/Super Target are my favourites!

A couple of other restaurants we liked were Carmine's in the Times Square area (Italian food, served Family Style) Junior's in the Times Square Area (good for cheesecake) Five Napkin Burger (burgers and tacos in Hell's Kitchen) Waffles and Dinges (Liege style waffles in Bryant park - Cooper ate these for breakfast!) Bread (fancy breads - I loved the olive bread - also in Bryant Park). There is also a food destination called Eatly just near the Flat Iron building. It's owned by Mario Batali (American chef) has delicious pizza, pasta and the best pistachio gelato I have had outside of Italy 😋 They also have an amazing fresh food section that was beautiful just to wander through. We did visit more places but these were in my top 10! 😊
Colette is just the loveliest person - it was a fortunate day for me when she decided to read my Florida trippie.

And yes - I laughed out loud at that. R.C. would NOT agree - but Lord knows I do. Poot and I missed out on our Target visit in Florida last year. You better believe that won't happen again.

MANY THANKS for the restaurant list. It is ENORMOUSLY helpful, and I will ask Poot to chart them on his NY map. That's right - my 10 year old is in charge of navigating. We all know it's better that way...

I've had Junior's cheesecake before - but the rest are all new to me.
Old 1 Aug 17, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
Colette is just the loveliest person - it was a fortunate day for me when she decided to read my Florida trippie.

And yes - I laughed out loud at that. R.C. would NOT agree - but Lord knows I do. Poot and I missed out on our Target visit in Florida last year. You better believe that won't happen again.

MANY THANKS for the restaurant list. It is ENORMOUSLY helpful, and I will ask Poot to chart them on his NY map. That's right - my 10 year old is in charge of navigating. We all know it's better that way...

I've had Junior's cheesecake before - but the rest are all new to me.
April you are too kind, I am touched, my nephew (4) would agree with you, but not sure anyone else would

We have never had Junior's cheesecake I had strawberry shortcake when we ate there, it tasted like a Tesco Strawberry Gateau, I was happy .

I appreciated the restaurant list too, we are very guilty of sticking to chains in New York . Not because we don't want to try local places but because we only eat onsite in Florida and we want to try all the other places I see everyone else eat at.
Old 1 Aug 17, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post

April you are too kind, I am touched, my nephew (4) would agree with you, but not sure anyone else would

We have never had Junior's cheesecake I had strawberry shortcake when we ate there, it tasted like a Tesco Strawberry Gateau, I was happy .

I appreciated the restaurant list too, we are very guilty of sticking to chains in New York . Not because we don't want to try local places but because we only eat onsite in Florida and we want to try all the other places I see everyone else eat at.

I am NEVER too kind - heart of a prison warden, remember?

I liked Junior's cheesecake - but I'm not desperate to go back. My favourite cheesecake EVER I had at the Minnesota State Fair - it was frozen chocolate-dipped cheesecake, on a stick. Words fail to describe the deliciousness...

...but when I took Poot to the Fair in 2015...it was gone! The cheesecake kiosk had become a bus stop!

I don't think I've ever eaten at a national chain in NYC - but you know Ms. Plastic Cheese won't be judging you. Eat wherever you want to!
Old 9 Aug 17, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
That was a very dedicated member of the team to go and hunt out some yoghurt for you and then track you down. It's nice to know there are people who will go out of their way to help others

We watched a bit of the weather channel in the mornings as NYC was surprisingly wet and cold and we hadn't brought and warm weather gear. Poor DH, we all bought hoodies or cardies from H&M near the 9/11 memorial, but DH couldn't find anything he liked, he's not really a hoodie person, bizarrely I thought of your poor packing and sighed to myself, oh dear how did I not prepare for this eventuality? We decided we would follow the itinerary as I am dreadful at the thought of changes to the plan, and we just kept going, we are British you know so a bit of wind, rain and chilliness in summer is not outside of our wealth of experience.

Anyway, the kids were more interested in watching nickelodeon or the disney channel though so as soon as we had seen the latest weather update for NYC the channel was changed. Neither DH nor myself could believe the way the adverts were trying to create a feeling of fear and worry in the audience about problems that are so unlikely to occur it's not worth worrying about. The fear-mongering seemed higher than we remember, perhaps it's always been that way but lordy we noticed it when one of the kids asked if our house was near a sinkhole and had we got the right insurance! I think that advertising is more controlled on kids TV in the UK, is that still true or am I inventing this?

Ooh pandas. It sounds like the coldness was perfect as it meant you had the zoo to yourselves. Why oh why do people feel it's appropriate or acceptable to try to get the attention of the animals by shouting or poking at them? This is one of the things that puts me off zoos I'm afraid.

I'm loving the idea of an a capella rendition of valley girl. This is brilliant. may I share another of my stories. You know you want to hear it! You only said yesterday that we were in looonnngggg 5 setter tennis match. I like to think you'd be disappointed if I didn't share these nuggets... so...on a very crowded disney bus at the end of a long day at HS we were all slightly separated DS and DD were sitting while me and DH were standing in the crush of people nearby. Well, I started hearing the sounds of 'do you want to build a snowman?' Now I know I'm their mother and biased but they are quite good at this as they know ALL the words. They were not self conscious at all and hadn't really realised that everyone was listening. At the end of the song there was a round of applause and calls for an encore! It is one of my favourite disney memories. Although I have a ton of favourite disney memories. Sorry if I've told that story before, it's nice to revisit it though.

Oh dear he's a wanderer! My rule is. STOP! Don't keep walking. Stop and look around. With your eyes and not your feet. Kind of like my rule in shops is look with your eyes and not your hands! Generally this is a useful rule but only if the Wanderer is aware they have lost the other members of the pack, this is not always the case though.

That does sound like love. My family will only allow me in a museum with them if I promise not to read every single piece of information on every single exhibit.

I have never heard of the Japanese evil salamander story, saying that I'm not sure I've heard of any other nationality salamander and their evilness.

Ah shucks you thought of me! I am touched that people I have never met have been thinking of me, and I'm not being sarcastic. Is there an emoji for earnest? As, honestly, I thought of you both too, so at least I know my fondness is not unrequited.

Well, I'm back in the saddle of the Boston trippie now, as you know I have been diverted by the TF update mini trippie, I'm not sure that the word mini can be used to describe that trippie though. Where are you up to Collette? I have to catch up but I don't want to speed ahead either! Have you read the next day? I'm guessing looking at the dates that you've read 1 or 2 more installments.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 17, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
That was a very dedicated member of the team to go and hunt out some yoghurt for you and then track you down. It's nice to know there are people who will go out of their way to help others

We watched a bit of the weather channel in the mornings as NYC was surprisingly wet and cold and we hadn't brought and warm weather gear. Poor DH, we all bought hoodies or cardies from H&M near the 9/11 memorial, but DH couldn't find anything he liked, he's not really a hoodie person, bizarrely I thought of your poor packing and sighed to myself, oh dear how did I not prepare for this eventuality? We decided we would follow the itinerary as I am dreadful at the thought of changes to the plan, and we just kept going, we are British you know so a bit of wind, rain and chilliness in summer is not outside of our wealth of experience.

Anyway, the kids were more interested in watching nickelodeon or the disney channel though so as soon as we had seen the latest weather update for NYC the channel was changed. Neither DH nor myself could believe the way the adverts were trying to create a feeling of fear and worry in the audience about problems that are so unlikely to occur it's not worth worrying about. The fear-mongering seemed higher than we remember, perhaps it's always been that way but lordy we noticed it when one of the kids asked if our house was near a sinkhole and had we got the right insurance! I think that advertising is more controlled on kids TV in the UK, is that still true or am I inventing this?

Ooh pandas. It sounds like the coldness was perfect as it meant you had the zoo to yourselves. Why oh why do people feel it's appropriate or acceptable to try to get the attention of the animals by shouting or poking at them? This is one of the things that puts me off zoos I'm afraid.

I'm loving the idea of an a capella rendition of valley girl. This is brilliant. may I share another of my stories. You know you want to hear it! You only said yesterday that we were in looonnngggg 5 setter tennis match. I like to think you'd be disappointed if I didn't share these nuggets... so...on a very crowded disney bus at the end of a long day at HS we were all slightly separated DS and DD were sitting while me and DH were standing in the crush of people nearby. Well, I started hearing the sounds of 'do you want to build a snowman?' Now I know I'm their mother and biased but they are quite good at this as they know ALL the words. They were not self conscious at all and hadn't really realised that everyone was listening. At the end of the song there was a round of applause and calls for an encore! It is one of my favourite disney memories. Although I have a ton of favourite disney memories. Sorry if I've told that story before, it's nice to revisit it though.

Oh dear he's a wanderer! My rule is. STOP! Don't keep walking. Stop and look around. With your eyes and not your feet. Kind of like my rule in shops is look with your eyes and not your hands! Generally this is a useful rule but only if the Wanderer is aware they have lost the other members of the pack, this is not always the case though.

That does sound like love. My family will only allow me in a museum with them if I promise not to read every single piece of information on every single exhibit.

I have never heard of the Japanese evil salamander story, saying that I'm not sure I've heard of any other nationality salamander and their evilness.

Ah shucks you thought of me! I am touched that people I have never met have been thinking of me, and I'm not being sarcastic. Is there an emoji for earnest? As, honestly, I thought of you both too, so at least I know my fondness is not unrequited.

Well, I'm back in the saddle of the Boston trippie now, as you know I have been diverted by the TF update mini trippie, I'm not sure that the word mini can be used to describe that trippie though. Where are you up to Collette? I have to catch up but I don't want to speed ahead either! Have you read the next day? I'm guessing looking at the dates that you've read 1 or 2 more installments.
I was rather flabbergasted at the yogurt lady - the general attitude at that hotel was...brusque, to say the least. Disney it was not.

And - no! - why did you not heed my warning and pack a set of warm clothes?! It's funny - Poot and I are off to see my DM on Monday, and I have been obsessively checking that I put jumpers, socks and jackets in the cases - despite the fact that the forecast is for 80 degrees every day. As Pete Townshend says, we won't get fooled again. I like the idea of your DH manning up, though. I can remember being at Aquatica in 2012...it was about 70 degrees - and every guest at the park was English, except me. Hardcore!

I couldn't speak to commercial television for kids - on any continent. In America it's ONLY the Weather Channel - and here it's the documentary channels. Poot did like "Mr. Bloom's Nursery" when he was small, though. No, I tell a lie - he used to watch SpongeBob - I'll ask him (we are sitting watching the track and field...)...

...and he laughed and said "No, I've never been alarmed by any commercials.". He actually said a lot more - all about sinkholes () - but I will spare you. To be fair - if I lived in Florida - I'd be sure to have sinkhole insurance!

I was REALLY cross with those Saudi women - it completely spoiled the lovely learning atmosphere of the presentation. Entitlement strikes again! :angry: Zoos do necessary work in conservation - and I really appreciated the educational opportunities (for adults as well as kids) at the D.C. Zoo - but I guess we can't be surprised that the "entertain me" attitude is everywhere.

And no...I'd not heard your singing story before. *Precious*

I'm sure you tried to be in the moment - all too soon they're teenagers and embarrass so easily, sigh.

He is a wanderer. And after he wandered off at Wembley Stadium (90,000 people) I decided that in future he could drop us off at the station but not come along to games. Loathing sport of all kinds, he didn't really mind his ban...but to be frank I'd prefer to attend as a family.

And growing up our rule was always RETURN TO THE PLACE WHERE WE LAST SAW EACH OTHER - and stay there. Here in England at least, we wouldn't have any problems if he'd keep his phone on. But no, can't have that either.

But he does share a quirk with YOU - in that he must read every word of every sign in a museum. One year for my birthday we went to the National Portrait Gallery - and it was a total flop - as I was constantly having to stop three or four paintings down and wait for him to catch up. After about 90 minutes of that I suggested we leave and go get falafel instead. So much for culture.

Evil salamanders...

...AND...casual racism warning...

Only an Englishwoman could have "unrequited FONDNESS"!

OUTSTANDING!