Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 6
Guidebook Photos: 135
Bucket List or Bust! - Tokyo & Shanghai - November 2016 - Day 1

Bucket List or Bust! - Tokyo & Shanghai - November 2016 - Day 1

I had absolutely no idea what to expect in terms of crowds or entry process at Shanghai, there really aren’t that many blogs, trip reports on the subject, there will be I’m sure, there just wasn’t much before our trip to go off. With this in mind I decided to get up at the crack of dawn and get there as early as possible just in case. So at 6.30 we set off to the bus stop, where surprisingly a bus was already waiting! Judging by the amount of people on the bus we were not part of the “bulk” of arrivals, were we late/early? I started to stress :P

We finally arrived and again there were only a few people milling around the area and on arriving at the entrance, which was cordoned off into a series of lines with barriers we saw only a few people queuing up.

Weatherise it was pretty grim, grey and lightly spitting like it had been the night before. We weren’t put off by this though, we’ve done Florida in thunderstorms before so this was nothing! It wasn’t that cold either so we put the brollies up and prepared to wait for the next hour until the gates opened.

Gradually it started to get busier and I would say that by 7:00 the queue was at a peak. They were pushing everyone further into the holding areas to avoid clogging the walkways. Which on a normal day would have been fine but when everyone has umbrellas up and your 1/2 feet taller than most people there you are going to loose an eye if you’re not careful.

At 7.15 the heavens opened, it POURED it down. As we were under brollies we stayed relatively dry but we did then have to contend with the run off from everyone elses so things got to be a little soggy.

Thankfully the rain stopped almost as soon as it had started and went back to light drizzle, it was then that the gates were opened….

Now I expected a free for all, pushing/shoving, the works. But instead two cast members stood on each side of the line and ushered guests forward one at a time to go through the metal detector and get our bags checked, very civilised!

You’re then in no mans land between security and the main gates, you could grab a coffee here if you wished or you could do what a majority of people were doing, including ourselves, which was a quick sprint to the next lot of queues. These again were numerous and we ended up second in line, NAILED IT! , but within 5 minutes the queues behind us started to build.

Now as this point I want to mention Shanghai queuing horror stories. We’d read them: pushing, shoving, queuing jumping, no personal space. So we spread out. The group behind us did keep edging forward and tried to fill “around” us but at no point did it feel they were pushing in or invading our personal space.

Those around us all had id cards, I started to panic that perhaps I needed our passports… those passports safely locked in the safe at the hotel…. eek! (I didn’t)

Just before 8 they opened the gates. There were no cast members to hold the masses back, but nobody moved. As soon as the cast members manning the turn stiles ushered the first guests forward though everyone surged in. No more mental than getting into a florida park though.

Once through, we moved! The plan today was to head left to Tron first, since this was our main “Must Do”. Adam was under strict instructions not to stop to take any photos, I was expecting the usual mad dash, similar I guess to the ones seen at Toy Story Mania. Instead the “taking it all in” would be happening on day 2 once we’d experienced all the rides we wanted.

But it didn’t happen.

We stopped. We starred.

The entire mass of runners were heading right towards soarin, only ourselves and a few others were heading elsewhere. I could’t believe it! And we stopped to take it all in instead, agreeing to leg it if any large groups starting heading our way.

The hoards never arrived and we made our leisurely way towards Tron which unsurprisingly had a 5 minute wait.

We spotted a hidden mickey on the way!

You have to use a locker for Tron, and they are VERY strict. I even had to take my headband off once on the ride! but rather ingeniously they give you a receipt with your locker number on it. Handy since you open the lockers at the locker not the computer screen which is very helpful when it comes to exiting.

We were both really excited for this ride. We’d deliberately not looked at any descriptions or videos of the ride, preferring a surprise. The only thing I’d read was that it was “like test track”

I’m not going to cover the rides in blow by blow detail, you should have a surprise as well, stop reading now if you want to know nothing….

Firstly I will say, is it’s NOTHING like test track. The opening track, the sponsorship and the fact you get spat out into a gaming zone with cars is were that similarity starts and ends! I would say it reminded me of the mummy at universal above anything else. The seating is obviously completely different though. If universal don’t look at this ride and start to think how they can turn a bike into a broom and the race into quidditch I will be VERY surprised!

We both LOVED it! And as the locker was ours for the next 3 hours we headed straight back on… 4 TIMES! It was so quiet it would be rude not to!

My plan had been to ride tron for a while before grabbing an evening fastpass and heading elsewhere. The problem was that fast passes weren’t going, they were still for 11am! I kept running down to the booth to check, but each time it didn’t move (NOTE: you don’t have to run about like a numpty like me, the return time is by the entrance sign… DOH!)

Nov 16-Shanghai & Japan - In Progress
Nov 15-Hong Kong & Singapore - Coming Soon!
June 15-Rome & Florence
Dec 14-WDW | 13-WDW | 12-DLP | 12-NY&DC | 11-West Coast | 10-DLP | 09-WDW

Edited at 10:52 PM.
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 17, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
We wandered round next in the direction of our second must do, walking via the castle as it was at the opposite side of the park.

I had thought that the castle was far too big and that it would look “chunky” and out of place, but now we were here, it really didn’t!

Finally we reached our destination, Treasure Cove, or “Pirateland” as we ended up calling it as we could never remember!

This area was amazing. Like they had taken all the best bits from all the disney parks adventurelands and made this EPIC expansion of it. We stood for a while and tried to take it all in, there’s was just so much DETAIL, everywhere you looked.

Pirates was a 10 minute wait so we joined the queue singing sea shanty’s on the way which earned us a smile from the cast members waving at the entrance.

Again I knew very little about this ride, even less than tron because you can’t “see” anything from the outside.

We both spent the whole ride open mouthed and at the end just looked at each other, both speechless, until we started to laugh, we were pretty giddy. This is by far the BEST ride I’ve ever been on. It’s not the fastest, the most thrilling, but overall the experience and sheer scale makes it bloody fantastic!

So good in fact, we rode it again!

We wandered next to fantasyland, as you can see, it’s still quiet. I don’t know what I was expecting but it was certainly busier than this. I’d prepared for the worst, hoping to be pleasantly surprised, but this was something else!

Our walk took us passed Adventure Isle where we stood and watched the rapids and the climbing area, this looked great fun!

We didn’t ride anything here in fantasyland, it’s pretty much like every other fantasyland with nothing really different.

We did grab a fastpass for the mine train though as the wait was long and the fastpass time short.

June 15-Rome & Florence

Edited at 11:16 PM.
Hannikins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 17, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
On our way passed the castle we heard music and realised the castle show must be on so we rushed down to grab a spot.

The show was rather good on the whole. Merida’s horse in particular

and the finale was fun to

As we were in the area now we decided to head into the castle.

Now this really does have the wow factor. The “Rotunda” and then mosaics lining the wall were pretty special.

Next we headed into the castle instead. We got a little confused and started queueing to see the princesses outside before we realised our mistake.

Once we got in we headed up the stairs. Taking photos of each princess on the way. There’s one of each but here are just a few!

Once inside the top we walked through each of the various rooms. Be careful not to get ahead of yourself. The cast member starts you off at the right time but you may have to wait as each scene restarts, this seemed to confuse a few guests who clearly wandered through quickly and thought nothing was happening in some rooms.

It was a cute walkthrough but it feels like a bit of a waste really, especially when snow white is the only princess shown (she’s a big favourite here so that’s probably why!).

We took a customary glance into the glass shop inside the castle, I’m pretty sure all castle have this no?

We were on the hunt for a snow globe for our collection, one from each park but to no avail

Time had run away with us and our fastpass time had nearly run out (they seemed strict on it here, they really check your fp’s) so we ran over and joined the queue. This was a good queue jump and we were right at the front within about 3 minutes.

Not very much to say about this, exactly the same as Florida and just as underwhelming. I wasn’t complaining though, it was a massive draw for the crowds away from the rides we were more interested in :P

Fastpass-less we headed to Adventure Isle to grab one for the rapids. At this point (around 12:30) every attraction still had fast passes with the exception of soarin.

By now we were getting a little peckish so we decided to grab lunch. I had first pick today and although I fancied dining in Treasure Cove I quite fancied the options at tangle tree tavern so we walked back towards Fantasyland. You’ll do LOTS of walking in this park. Everything is very spread out and if you’re going to make the most of fast passes there’s a lot of backwards and forwards to be done!

I went for the fish and chips (approx £7 with a drink)

Adam went for the Sichuan Chicken (approx £9 with a drink).

The place was packed so we headed outside to grab a seat. It was still damp but it was warm enough and under cover.

We both really enjoyed our meals and started to have hope that the food on this trip might not be all bad!

June 15-Rome & Florence

Edited at 11:20 PM.
Old 7 Jan 17, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
After lunch we headed back over to Adventure Isle. We went the long way around, grabbing a fast pass for tron again as we were within our time limit for the rapids.

The fastpass for the rapids worked out well as the sky was clearing a little and the rain had stopped

Now I’m not a fan of water rides, unless it’s boiling hot and I know I’ll dry, otherwise the idea of being soggy for the rest of the day is not something I particularly enjoy.

As we queued I started to get a little nervous, as everyone was putting poncho’s on… it didn’t look THAT bad though….

As it turned out I only got a little damp. We ended up in a raft with a large group and only one member got particularly wet with an ill timed wave. We all had a good laugh, laughing at another’s misfortune breaks language barriers apparently Infact looking at other riders, those that were even a little bit damp were in the minority, bilge rat barges this was not!

Now I really fancied the idea of the climbing wall, it looked a bit tame but I was intrigued.

[

The wait was 20 minutes so we joined the queue. Again we had to pop everything in lockers and then join the queue. This really was a military operation and we were in awe of the organisation of it.

First you get given a harness, colour coded based on your size. Then at the next station you stand in front of a CM, legs akimbo whilst they reach around and between your legs and clip everything in (no, not my idea of dream job either!). Finally the next station attached the top guide rope and you’re off! Incredible!

Now the description of this attraction is:

“Traverse challenging rope courses, hike scenic trails and dig for ancient relics as you explore Adventure Isle.”

A few people in front of us were in heels (I was in wedged boots) so I didn’t think I had anything too challenging to worry about, I was focusing on the “scenic” part of the description…

BIG MISTAKE

Yes, it is rather scenic at first. At each stage you have a choice of different “levels” of crossing, usually three, from easy; a normal bridge, to hard; widely spaced, wobbly rope bridge.

This was fine, we went with the hard one every time without much issue.

Then we got to the last bit… HOLY HELL!

Adam was a little bit behind me so I looked back so I could see his face when he saw what I’d clocked… And there it was, the same look of terror I was feeling

In the concept art it looks like this…

A big waterfall ran down the middle of a large drop, around the outside on both sides was a “ledge”. I quote mark that because on the concept art they look quite wide. In reality they were tiny… and wet.

I didn’t take a photo, I was too busy hanging on for my life, but I found a partial one online

I took a moment to compose myself before setting off. Holding onto the smooth rock face with my fingernails as best I could.

Halfway around the woman in front of me froze, and started shouting at her other half who was a little way in front. I’m not sure what she was saying but she was panicking and wobbling in her heels. Problem was, I was now stuck on a really narrow bit, trying to hold on. Adam was on the right side and that look a little wider, I’d obviously gone the “hard” way

Now I knew I was attached and safe. I could have swung across if I had wanted to, but at the time it was pretty terrifying, Go Ape has NOTHING on this.

If you want to see it, watch this video from 4 minutes in (they went the same way as Adam, mine wasn’t this wide! )

The woman’s other half came back and literally dragged her across and we both finally made it to the other side. Both a little wobbly on our feet. This was going down as the SCARIEST attraction I’ve ever been on… EVER! there was one final bridge to cross…. we took the easy one :P

Still amazing fun though and a highlight so don’t be put off :P

As we were a little wobbly, we decided to go and see what voyage to the crystal grotto was like. It wasn’t like anything we’d been on before, well maybe the storybook ride at DLP that’s often closed. I can see what small children get out of it though.

Finally we reached the entrance to the grotto… Hopefully this was gonna be good!

….ermm

No really that’s it, you can’t say the description wasn’t accurate though, it was a crystal in a grotto Give me the dragon under DLP over this any day though, again what a waste!

Finally we pulled up at the docks on the other side of the castle, a little underwhelmed

[/url]

June 15-Rome & Florence

Edited at 11:27 PM.
Old 7 Jan 17, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
It was Tron fastpass time now so off we went.

It was rather busy, but the main queue was still only 15 minutes. As it was a littler busier they had cast members controlling how many people could enter the locker area, this was a great idea as it avoided the big crush.

At this point we encountered the only teething problem of the trip. I mentioned earlier that CM really liked to triple check fast passes here, well the result was a big queue forming in front of the fastpass entrance

This caused chaos as people assumed it was the main queue and tried to go to the front and got confused. There was still no pushing, everyone formed a line, but the “unofficial” line went right across, blocking the main entrance on the far right.

The line went down quickly but I think they need to be moving this check further down the line a little, they check it again once you reach the door anyway!

We were still in quicker than the main queues 15 minute wait so can’t complain.

As we left Tron the heavens opened. It absolutely chucked it down, full on storm this was.

We stood under the shelter for a little while before I decided to make a dash to picked another fastpass.

BIG mistake, I got one, but when I got back I was soaked. Adam was watching the tomorrowland stage while I was gone where there was a big hero 6 meet and greet. “look” he said “That kid was meeting Baymax this morning as well!”…. “no dear…. that’s Hiro” :pgig” I said. Was funny, he was very dedicated, almost like he was supposed to be there wouldn’t you say :P

The starwars exhibit was just around the corner and crucially it was indoors so in a break in the rain, where it seemed marginally less heavy we made a dash for it.

This place was empty, it’s so hidden away behind buzz I’m not sure if people know it’s even there.

Now at this point, I had only watched up to episode 5, so most of this meant very little to me.

I did recognise the millennium falcon cockpit though so I got a soggy shot!

As this place is so well hidden the meet and greets were walk ups. Adam has never watched a star wars film in his life so he hadn’t a clue really

For Kylo Ren he volunteered to hold the “sword” (see, not a clue)

It was rather funny as Kylo was giving him sass in Chinese, we had no idea what was said so he just laughed nervously.

We waited around while the rain started to ease off, before running round to buzz. I liked this updated version, you can see your target and they react when hit as they are screens. We both nailed it but as usual Adam won.

Still raining but not as heavy we headed back to Tron to use the fastpass, and also to grab another one as the time was now nearing a potential evening ride time.

Then we crossed over the park, stopping for some castle photos, not particularly good ones as it was still raining!

we kept out of the rain by riding pirates a few times next, each time we were still stunned as we spotted more and more details.

Next we headed back to Tron to use our fastpass. It still wasn’t really dark enough to appreciate it fully though as it was still dusk, so we grabbed another one for later which would work better.

We were pretty pooped now so we decided to slow the pace and explore a little around Mickey Avenue and the shops as it started to go dark.

Finally the sun set and the castle lights really started to be visible

It’s amazing how small it looks from here, and mickey avenue isn’t even that long!

I think it’s because the gardens in front are rather big

I mean the carousel and dumbo are in there!

We headed towards the castle to try and scout out a good place to watch the fireworks later

Selfies aren’t really our specialism :P

June 15-Rome & Florence

Edited at 11:33 PM.
Old 7 Jan 17, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Once we had a spot sorted we headed off to use our Tron fastpass. This area is rather special at night

We stood and watched the bikes fly past a few times

The wait time wasn’t particularly long and we ended up getting a few rides in the main queue as well

On the way to grab our spot for the fireworks we spotted the mickey meet and greet with no wait, again it’s pretty hidden!

Mickey was all dressed in his grand opening best

We made it to our spot with around 45 minutes to go before show time. We were pretty much right by the railings.

We weren’t sure if they would let us closer nearer the start as they had with the castle show, they didn’t but it’s still a pretty good view!

I had assumed it was just quiet but there was now a pretty big group behind us as well with 15 minutes to go

And then it began!

It’s not the best show I’ve seen, the music didn’t really cut it for me but it was still pretty cool

and as usual I did shed a tear when Part of your world came on… I can’t help it!

There aren’t many fireworks but there were a few throughout and during the finale

After the show there’s a mini aftershow but we didn’t stick around. We’d deliberately stood on the left hand side of the castle so that we could use the cut through exit for Disney Town.

June 15-Rome & Florence
Old 7 Jan 17, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Hannikins
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
The plan was to head to The Cheesecake Factory tonight but we decided to wander and look in a few shops first to decided what we’d like to buy.

We didn’t last long though, we were both starving!

We headed in and were ushered in straight away to a lovely booth. the staff here seemed a lot better but again we were seated near the staff area, it was fine but every time we looked up they assumed we needed assistance so it was a little awkward on occasion :P

I managed to grab a few photos of the menu

Our waitress was called Smiley, I loved her already! We ordered cocktails to start

A Mai Tai for Adam (£8)

And a marg for me (£8)

Then came the lovely bread basket and we ordered

We thought we were being kind by pointing out the items on the menu but most of the time Smiley didn’t understand until we said it verbally. We later saw a new member of staff learning and reciting menu items so I think they memorise the names verbally but don’t recognise them written down. Makes a lot of sense I guess, I had the same issue in Japan, I knew words when spoken but written down I wouldn’t have had a clue what the characters meant!

Adam went with the potstickers (approx £6.80)

and I had the pear and blue cheese flatbread (approx £6.80)

These were both lovely.

Next came the mains, when they arrived we realised our mistake, they were HUGE!

Adam’s was the Jamaican chicken and shrimp (approx £18.60)

and chicken littles (approx £14) for me

I can only assume that name was supposed to be ironic, there was nothing little about the plate in front of me, look at it!

I managed barely half. We realised not long afterwards that many of the tables around us were sharing mains, I recommend you do the same!

We had planned on ordering cheesecake to take back and eat for breakfast and sharing one now but as we were stuffed we just ordered one to go.

We ordered a snickers one to share (approx £7.50)

We decided to buy our goodies from world of disney that evening so we could pack them, there was 40% off the grand opening items if you bought 2 or more items so we took advantage!

We got the medium mickey plush

but we couldn’t find a minnie, I had spotted her earlier in the day inside the park though so I decided to get her the following day.

We also picked up a magnet

and as there were no snow globes we went for a photo holder instead

And then a mug, because you know, we ALWAYS get a mug!

I also bought some tsum tsums, I just had to have this

It was £30, which is ridiculous but I wanted it :P

And an ariel keyring which I can’t find a photo of anywhere :/

I don’t know what each item cost as they aren’t labeled on my receipt but all the above came to £57 so minus the Tsum Tsum at £30 everything was pretty much a bargain!

Stuffed, shopped out, and shattered we headed to the bus stop, where a bus was waiting naturally!

Back to the hotel for some rest before we started all over again tomorrow, we’d had such an incredible day!

Check out the lovely slippers they give you!

June 15-Rome & Florence

Edited at 11:39 PM.
Old 7 Jan 17, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Mobile

Your trip report is simply staggering !
Can't wait to read the Japan bits
I am blown away at the Star Wars bits, me thinking I am a Jedi everyday lol

Thank you for posting, trip reports take so much time but they are wonderful and yours certainly is
2000 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2002 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2003 - Caribbean Beach. 2004 - Forgot where we stayed. 2008 - Pop Century. 2012 - Disneyland Paris for the day. 2015 - Contemporary Resort - 7 days, POFQ - 3 days. 2016 Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. 2018 Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge
kevin_cambs_uk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 17, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Just wow! Thank you so much for doing this it's appreciated! I can keep an eye out for a snowglobe in May 😊
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 17, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
vics18
Very Serious Dibber

Amazing day! Shame about the weather pesky rain ruining your nice castle pics! We've watched videos of the Tron ride as it's one of my hubby's fave films but obviously it's nothing like riding it. Also Pirates videos, it looks spectacular. Can't see us ever visiting shanghai so we don't mind spoilers haha!
Can't believe how tiny the castle looks, and how much open space is it front of it. On the closer pictures it looks huge!
The show looks nice. Kind of like Dreams at DLP?
Woah those meals are freakin huge!
Opening day mickey and minnie are adorable!
vics18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List