Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Jan 20, 02:56 PM  
Link to this Post
MillieMoo23
Getting Excited

HR advice

I have recently found out that I am pregnant and will tell my employer once I've had my 12 week scan. But in the meantime, I am after some advice as there is no HR Department I can go to. I work for a private landlord who employs three people. He has always known that I intend to have children, and in previous discussions, he has said that if I don't come back to work after having a baby, I would need to pay back the statutory maternity pay. He won't pay any extra, and having looked online, I know this is incorrect. I can in fact not return to work and will not have to pay any money back as he is only giving statutory. Although at this moment in time, I am planning on returning to my current employer once maternity leave is finished. I have some questions regarding annual leave building up during maternity leave; does he have to consider me going part time if I wish and a couple of others. So, is anyone available to offer any advice, or will the Citizens Advice Bureau be able to provide this as I have no one else that I can speak to.
Thank you.
MillieMoo23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

As far as I’m aware from having been on maternity leave twice, you are still entitled to your holidays throughout maternity, however you might need to come to a compromise with your boss on how you take them, I know a lot people tag it onto the beginning or end of their maternity.
As for considering going part time. I think you put in for flexible working possibly and he has to consider it, but it’s for him to prove it would be a detriment to the business if he didn’t want you going part time.
I’m not 100% about that, and citizens advice would be a good place to start.
The statutory maternity pay is government pay so you do not need to pay it back.
Congrats on the pregnancy! I hope it goes smoothly for you.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
MillieMoo23
Getting Excited

Thank you, it's a useful start, and I will make an appoint with Citizens Advice in the not too distant future
MillieMoo23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

I agree with the above. You dont need to pay any statutory back.
You do accrue holidays and if you left you would still be entitled to those.
He does need to 'consider' part time but doesnt gage to give it you. I was refused as my boss said it would be detrimental to the business. I ended up getting made redundant before I went back anyway so wasnt a problem!
My last job, I didn't go back after maternity and they actually owed me money for holidays I hadnt taken which was good!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Morganza
slightly serious Dibber

This is an excellent website on maternity rights maternityaction.uk/advic...pay-questions/

1. You don't have to pay SMP back.
2. Your holidays will still accrue while you're on mat leave.

Congratulations on your pregnancy.
Morganza is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post

You don’t need to repay statutory maternity leave.

You do accrue holidays as normal whilst you are on maternity leave.

You are entitled to request flexible working, a change in your hours, your employer does not have to agree to it. I’m kind of thinking employer won’t if there is only three of you.

I really don’t think this is a matter for Citizens Advice Bureau at this point, you just need to do a bit of reading, as I don’t think you actually have a problem right now, you just need to establish facts.

There are plenty of resources that will help you establish facts about maternity leave entitlements such as the one above, also try gov.uk publications and ACAS publications.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

As others have said plus you accrue bank holidays while you are off too.

Personally I wouldn't even mention part time yet.

Congratulations
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List