UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 7 Sep 20, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
RM2016
Imagineer

RM2016's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

The Open Top Bus from Waverley Bridge is a good start for you to get your bearings and take in plenty sights. The Real Mary Kings Close tour is great, very interesting and great fun. The meet point is just off the Royal Mile down from the Castle. The Camera Obscura is also good fun as are the Harry Potter walking tours if you are interested in JK Rowling. Arthur’s Seat is lovely on a clear day, you can see for miles round the city and beyond. If you are the end of November, Christmas at the Botanics will have started, if not still nice for a stroll. If you like afternoon Tea my favourite was the Dome in George Street (also good for cocktails and ambience) but has now been overtaken by Fingals. Totally different setting and very tasty. Anniversary dinner, the Witchery at the Castle or take a train from Waverley and visit Orocco Pier in South Queensferry. You can eat overlooking the Forth with a great view of the Bridges. Very easy to get to from town. Lots to see and do and a very easy city to get about, enjoy.
RM2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 20, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

We went to Angela with Bagpipes for an anniversary meal after asking for recommendations on here.

We went in the Halo room which is basically one table for 2 or 4 and no one else. We had a taster menu with wine pairing. It felt so exclusive and romantic. They other rooms were fab and apparently one has live music (before covid).

I cannot recommend enough

angelswithbagpipes/the-restaurant/
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Sep 20, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

Angel's with bagpipes hands down over the witchery. We had shockingly awful service at the witchery and would never return- the only place we have never left a tip!
disney_l81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 20, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

The Real Mary Kings Close tour is really interesting. Personally not something I would do again - because they make you jump and I really don’t cope well with that apparently! Of course once they pick up on that, you’re picked on the whole way through 🤦🏻 it was SO interesting, I loved the history side of it and walking around at night though so if you don’t mind the above definitely do it. My mums taking a friend to do it in December which will be my mums second time, and my OH would do it again in a heart beat.

Camera obscura -oil at Tesco clubcard points if you get them, I would have been disappointed if we paid for it.

Next time we will do the castle and Royal Yacht Britannia. We absolutely LOVE the zoo! I took my mum to Edinburgh in 2018 and we went to the Zoo and heard the lion growl at the lioness, not even a proper roar. Me at the age of 26 grabbed my mums hand and panicked 😂😂😂. Apparently I’m also frightened of Lions making a noise!

We absolutely love Edinburgh. My OH is having part of his stag do there in November
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 20, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

I think the Witchery is a restaurant aimed at tourists rather than locals, but it certainly used to look spectacular on a dark evening. Food was only so-so in my experience though.

I love The Little Chartroom (does an a la carte menu) or Noto (small sharing plates) for high quality meals; for a tasting menu you could check out Aizle, which is a sister restaurant of Noto and has just moved to a new location in the city centre (I’ve not eaten there since it moved).

Of the Michelin star restaurants here, I’d recommend the Kitchin over the others (but I haven’t tried Condita). Or if you’re looking for their non-starred places, I’d recommend the Honours over the Scran and Scallie.

Edit: Stockbridge has some good places - Purslane, Stockbridge restaurant and Merienda have all been good when I’ve gone.

There are a load of decent places I haven’t mentioned, but these are my current faves.

Edited at 12:20 PM.
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 20, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Imagineer

Thanks everyone, great ideas and recommendations. Sadly it is looking more Andy more likely we wont be going thanks to another looming lock down. Oh well. It was a nice dream while it lasted!
dreamadream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List