Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 16 Jan 20, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
molly48
Excited about Disney

Phonics

My granddaughter has just started school she is 4. She has started doing phonics has anyone got any advice i have been trying to help her but haven't got a clue what I'm doing. Lol mine had word tins when they were learning. Don't want to get her confused as she is the youngest all rest of class are 5 and seem so much older.

1995 /1998 Disney All star music 1997 Quality inn plaza 2000 Caribbean beach 2004 Calabay parc
2005 southern dunes 2007/2008 Indian creek villa
2015 Avanti hotel / 2018 dibb villa Solterra. Port Orleans french quarter 2020
molly48 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
82lcm
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

oxfordowl/for-home...rs-and-sounds/

Hope this helps! My son enjoyed watching alphablocks which is also good for phonics sounds.
82lcm is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

Mobile

Aww I loved my word tin! Phonics is just sounding out really. At 4 I would just be following her lead and encouraging her to link sounds to letters. Playing eyespy using the first sound of the thing you're spotting is probably a good one.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 20, 12:11 AM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

Get her to pretend to be the teacher, and tell you how it's done...

Alphablocks is good too.

School should have a sheet that might go with the sounds. My boys did a slightly different version to the norm when they were learning, but we had lots of guidance from school about what each sound was.
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 20, 01:11 AM  
Link to this Post
helbel84
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Look for any free apps on phone/tablet that’s how I learnt what it was all about when my son was that age and the apps have games for the kids to play and learn
helbel84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 20, 07:04 AM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

There are loads of youtube videos on phonics, useful to hear how the phonics sound
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 20, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Fairy Helen
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Ask the teacher what scheme they use as there are many different ones. They teach in a different way using set strategies and letter sound order. That will ensure no confusion. Plus her reading book should be matched to the phonics band she is working on too.
Fairy Helen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 20, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
daffodil92
Imagineer

Mobile

And play games for blending sounds. Lots of our children struggle with this. For example ... I’m making a sandwich and I’m putting in h-a-m . Does teddy have his S-o-ck and his c-oa-t?
Games like this and as the other poster has said, recognising the first sound in a word with I spy (using letter sounds, not letter names). Lots of fun for you both 😊
daffodil92 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 20, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Mobile

Look at Geraldine Giraffe on YouTube.
Old 17 Jan 20, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

My daughter was taught with jolly phonics and there is an app called jolly songs. There is a song for each sound and they taught my dd the actions at school. This helped her so much! She is now one of the best readers in her class and I think it was partly down to her time at home singing these songs.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List