Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 16 Aug 20, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post

Inverness to Bicester national trust road trip

Evening everyone!
Now that it looks like Efteling is well and truly off the cards for 2020 we have decided on a staycation of sorts.
Here’s a rough plan, I have never been to any of these places before (except Blenheim & Alton Towers) so any tips or restaurant recommendation would be very gratefully received.

12/10; Drive from Inverness to Disley. Stop midway for a look around Sizergh near Kendal.
13/10: visit to Lyme and Tatton Park (then Airbnb in Winchcombe)
14/10 visit Hidcote and Sudeley Castle
(Then Airbnb for 4 nights in Bicester)
15/10 visit Stourhead and Great Chalfield
16/10 Blenheim (garden only) and Snowshill
17/10 Waddesdon and Stowe gardens
18/10 Bletchley Park and Ascott Manor (drive up to Uttoxeter)
19/10 Alton Towers (drive to Warrington)
20/10 drive back home with a stop at Lowther Castle in Penrith.

Edited at 02:00 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Aug 20, 08:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Thats some road trip and looks like some very interesting visits.

Don't know if you are planning on shopping at Bicester, or if it's just your hub for a few days to see the surrounding area. I wouldn't go back there for shopping as it was still too expensive for us, not enough actual bargains. They were happy to give out their discount stickers to busloads of foreign tourists but not for folk who arrive in cars. We stopped at Cheshire Oaks and Gretna on way back for much better deals. Tip for Cheshire Oaks if stopping at a weekend, prebook parking for £5, well worth it.
Old 17 Aug 20, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Disney_time View Post
Thats some road trip and looks like some very interesting visits.

Don't know if you are planning on shopping at Bicester, or if it's just your hub for a few days to see the surrounding area. I wouldn't go back there for shopping as it was still too expensive for us, not enough actual bargains. They were happy to give out their discount stickers to busloads of foreign tourists but not for folk who arrive in cars. We stopped at Cheshire Oaks and Gretna on way back for much better deals. Tip for Cheshire Oaks if stopping at a weekend, prebook parking for £5, well worth it.
I’ve been to Bicester once before, dived into McQueen and out again. Not sure we would go back there. It just happened to be the general area that we found a really sweet little Airbnb we liked the look of. Thanks for the tip about Cheshire oaks! The parking there can be a total nightmare and I didn’t know you could pre book!
Old 2 Sep 20, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Bumping for any other hints or tips about stuff in the areas we’ll be visiting.
Old 2 Sep 20, 10:16 PM  
Link to this Post
red cuillen
Excited about Disney

Hi there. No tips about restaurants I'm afraid, just about the number of miles you'll be doing. Having lived in Nairn for 10 years I always remember the further south we drove down the M6 the tighter my hands would grips the steering wheel, conversely, once north past Liverpool/Manchester area I'd start to relax!
Bicester to Stourhead is a hell of a journey down some very busy roads (assuming A34 A303). Stourhead though should be great with autumn colours. Have you thought of Westonbirt Arboreteum, or Avebury or Castle Combe? Haven't been to Hidcote for years, but always thought of it as a summer border type garden. We loved Bletchley Park, very interesting - though I heard they have had to make some staff redundant recently. What ever you decide I hope you have a good time.
red cuillen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 20, 01:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

Waddestone and Stowe are lovely to walk around, Waddestone has more to offer than Stowe! Bletchley Park takes a long time to see everything (well worth a full day on its own).

Don't rule out Milton Keynes as a stop - there is a very good sculpture trail in Campbell Park. If you don't stop in the centre and instead go to one of the smaller villages around the outside there are some lovely pubs and walks (the walk along the canal is great if the weather holds). Olney and Woburn are also worth a stop if you want a break from NT places. You can drive around the safari park at Woburn or just visit the deer park.
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 20, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
inky1
Imagineer

We called into Bicester on our way back from from a trip to Bosworth field very interesting if you enjoy history and an overnight in Warwick for the Halloween stuff at the castle .
It’s a lovely area I’m sure you will have a great trip
inky1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List