Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 10 Jun 19, 05:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

Yellowstone 2020

Hi,

I'm in the relatively early stages of planning a 3 week trip next Summer centering around Yellowstone.

I've already booked the Yellowstone accommodations for next August (3 nights in Canyon and 2 at Old Faithful) so just building the route and timings around this.

Plan is to fly in and out from Denver (unless significantly cheaper to return from SLC) and do a loop - up to South Dakota badlands, into Montana for Little Bighorn and a couple of nights in Bozeman before heading in to Yellowstone. Then heading to Idaho Falls, Jackson Hole and possibly Rocky Mountain NP before returning to Denver.

Am aware of the big ticket items and places to see, but anyone any suggestions on other must-sees or great restaurants along this route?

Oh, and any good malls - aware this is not really mall country but there seems to be reasonably sized ones in Denver, Rapid City and Idaho Falls - any better than the other?

Many thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!

Edited at 05:37 PM.
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 19, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
kirstenjet
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Devils Tower between South Dakota and Little big horn?
Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse? Maybe that counts as big ticket, to us it's literally a drive past thing. Iron Mountain Road and Needles Highway?
What about driving via Scottsbluff for Oregon Trail stuff, only appears to add less than an hour onto journey to SD from Denver and you get a chance to see some of Nebreska and priarie/national grassland.
I can't say if it's good as we're meant to be flying out this Saturday so all secondhand info

If you're going via Idaho Falls, Craters of the moon national park is nearby, that really appealed to me but we couldn't fit it in. Also on way out of Yellowstone to Idaho Falls in Mesa Falls which is meant to be worth a stop.
kirstenjet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 19, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
suei
Excited about Disney

:)

Hi,
About your flights, be careful about 1-way car hire fees as these can cancel out any savings you might make on your flights (as we found out a few years back!).
We've visited & stayed in Yellowstone & Grand Teton NPs twice now so, if I can help out at all, let me know.
The first time we flew into Denver then onto Boise where we picked up our hire car, & then drove back to Denver; & last year we flew in & out of Bozeman with transatlantic flights in & out of Seattle.
It's a fantastic area to explore!
suei is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 19, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Love*my*hols
Imagineer

Mobile

I would get the Gypsy guide app for Yellowstone and grand Teton and anywhere else that is available .We find them excellent.
Old 10 Jun 19, 07:02 PM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We’re going next year for our honeymoon (Although getting a campervan). Planned our route currently, although slightly different to you as we’re driving across to Jackson and the Grand Teton first before Yellowstone!

I honestly cannot wait!
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 19, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by kirstenjet View Post
Devils Tower between South Dakota and Little big horn?
Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse? Maybe that counts as big ticket, to us it's literally a drive past thing. Iron Mountain Road and Needles Highway?
What about driving via Scottsbluff for Oregon Trail stuff, only appears to add less than an hour onto journey to SD from Denver and you get a chance to see some of Nebreska and priarie/national grassland.
I can't say if it's good as we're meant to be flying out this Saturday so all secondhand info

If you're going via Idaho Falls, Craters of the moon national park is nearby, that really appealed to me but we couldn't fit it in. Also on way out of Yellowstone to Idaho Falls in Mesa Falls which is meant to be worth a stop.
Thanks, some good suggestions there. Had some on the list already but the Oregon trail/ Nebraska and also Crazy Horse look interesting. As usual it will be a case of what can be fit in!
Olympiad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 19, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by suei View Post
Hi,
About your flights, be careful about 1-way car hire fees as these can cancel out any savings you might make on your flights (as we found out a few years back!).
We've visited & stayed in Yellowstone & Grand Teton NPs twice now so, if I can help out at all, let me know.
The first time we flew into Denver then onto Boise where we picked up our hire car, & then drove back to Denver; & last year we flew in & out of Bozeman with transatlantic flights in & out of Seattle.
It's a fantastic area to explore!
Thank you, make take you up on your offer of suggestions as I get in to the detailed planning.

And thanks for the reminder on the one-way fees. With Avis the fee looks around £300 (which was about the same we payed a couple of years ago for a New Mexico pick up and California drop off) so gives a starting point when looking for savings.
Old 10 Jun 19, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by hideinpockets View Post
We’re going next year for our honeymoon (Although getting a campervan). Planned our route currently, although slightly different to you as we’re driving across to Jackson and the Grand Teton first before Yellowstone!

I honestly cannot wait!
Great, happy planning!
Old 10 Jun 19, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Olympiad
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Love*my*hols View Post
I would get the Gypsy guide app for Yellowstone and grand Teton and anywhere else that is available .We find them excellent.
Will look into those, thanks.
Old 11 Jun 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
suei
Excited about Disney

:)

Hello again! A few ideas for you.
The Museum of the Rockies is well worth a visit when you're in Bozeman.
Don't miss the view of Grand Prismatic Spring in YNP from the new viewing platform, & make time to stroll the boardwalks near Old Faithful & also to wait for some of the geyser eruptions.
Do you have a reason for going to Idaho Falls? If you are going to be west of the Tetons, Mesa Falls are quite nice but not worth going out of your way for. I'd suggest instead to drive south from Yellowstone into Grand Teton NP & spend some time there (don't miss sunset at Ox Bow Bend!). The scenery is beautiful & there are some lovely lake-side walks in GTNP.
Jackson has a rodeo in the summer. Also take a look at some of the photographic galleries in Jackson. The pictures are amazing, especially in Mangelsen's.
On the way from Jackson back towards Denver, the National Oregon/California Trail Centre in Montpelier was an interesting stop. Fossil Butte National Monument & Dinosaur NM are both worth a visit, especially if you're interested in fossils; & the scenery was lovely in the Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area to the west of the Green River along WY-530.
For some shopping, we stopped at the Outlets at Silverthorne (although I'm sure there must be better ones in Denver!) just off I-70 not far from Vail.
Finally, a visit to the Rocky Mountain NP is highly recommended, with lovely walks, plenty of wildlife to see, & stunning scenery.
Hope this helps.
suei is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List