Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 28 Jul 19, 02:18 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Canada - May you said, oh yeah!- My berffday May 27th

Monday 27th May

My notes and photos are a bit of a muddle, so unsure if I am putting the right photos in the right place!
My birthday! Lovely buff from Neil with National Parks design including a beaver. My sil had also given me a very pretty scarf. I had decided to leave other presents at home to open when I got back.

Anyway despite it being my birthday we were still up early and out by 5. We drove along Marmot Road but only saw elk and then carried on down to Athabasca falls before back up to Jasper and Pyramid lake. Really lovely scenery and a few more elk and squirrels! We picked up something for breakfast at some point but I can't remember what or where.
This was the bridge over to Pyramid Island where you can get married!
Lovely little walk and views.

We decided to head out to Mount Robson, which I believe is the highest mountain in the Rockies if not Canada, correct me if I'm wrong please. It was an easy drive although some roadworks. The scenery was awesome and the mountain is huge and very pretty still covered in snow. It only took us an hour to drive out there. We had a wander round the very interesting visitor centre and used their wifi. We got a bit confused as BC is either an hour behind or in front of Alberta plus the clock in the car was wrong for both zones So we were hungry so had lunch from the diner at the visitor centre, probably very early - nice chicken sandwich and salad followed by pastries.

As the day was nice we decided to do the hike up to Kinney Lake. I squeaked a bit as misread it as 4k round trip but it was actually 4 km each way, sometimes quite hard going but it was beside a lovely blue river through cedar woods. As we had left this morning the car was saying -2, by the time we returned the car was saying 26! You can go further than Kinney Lake and get permits to camp at the base of the mountain and we saw several young people that were obviously doing/done that, not for these people though, the lake was enough for me!

We had some lovely mango gelato when we returned and then I drove home. Bit nerve wracking but highway 16 was fairly quiet and wide. Although mostly drivers in Canada are fairly law abiding there are some that didn't like the speed I was going! Again it took around an hour.

With our early start we were getting tired early but decided to have a wander round Jasper to see if I could buy a swim suit. After trying on several I bought a 2 piece from a shop called Lola where dh also surprised me with a pretty jacket. We dropped off the shopping at the hotel and then headed out to a pizza place called Famoso for tea. Really nice pizza, not bad price, although nicer if they had air con!
Anyway after picking up some wine we returned to the hotel for shower and early night as heading south tomorrow :

Edited at 02:24 PM.
parisdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 05:58 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Happy Birthday! Another lovely day with gorgeous photos! Love the panoramic last one - it looks like a Christmas card

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 06:07 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

Happy birthday! There are some stunning photos- looks beautiful
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 07:37 AM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

Absolutely stunning scenery!
Old 29 Jul 19, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
A gorgeous day with lovely views for your birthday. Your trip to Pyramid Island was much sunnier than ours!
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by jocat View Post
A gorgeous day with lovely views for your birthday. Your trip to Pyramid Island was much sunnier than ours!
But I bet yours was a lot warmer!
Old 31 Jul 19, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
kirstenjet
VIP Dibber

Mobile

All those photos make me want to see it so much, looks so very beautiful! What a great way to spend a birthday.
kirstenjet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 19, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

Just realised i forgot to say we had seen loads of hummingbirds outside the Mount Robson visitor centre! I was really surprised to see them as it was still quite cold at night and in the mornings. They had feeders with sugar water in and it was amazing to watch them flit between them and around. They have such funny little movements. Unfortunately dh didn't manage to photo any due to the speed they were stopping and flying off!
Old 25 Aug 19, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

What stunning views . Beautiful
Oh the car clock being out with the time zones would have given me angst. My poor brain can’t process things like that 😂
A very lovely berffday indeed .
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List