Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 7 May 20, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
I see there is a virgin 747 just landed at glasgow today from heathrow. is this flying to Orlando tomorrow? or just parking them up at Glasgow
Is this a 2nd one as there has been 1 747 and 1 A330 at GLA for some weeks now. If it is a 2nd 747 then I doubt it would be flying to Orlando.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 20, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenS
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We are also supposed to be flying on August 22nd from Glasgow on a Virgin/Delta codeshare. I just wish we knew either way.
KarenS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 20, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
Is this a 2nd one as there has been 1 747 and 1 A330 at GLA for some weeks now. If it is a 2nd 747 then I doubt it would be flying to Orlando.
Its a 2nd, it definitely isn't going to Orlando and neither is the 1st.

All of the 747s have been moved away from London and are now in storage at GLA (2) and MAN. All bar 2 (1 at each location) are leased, so with them being retired they will be de-branded and handed back to the owner

Those who are seeking positivity about Glasgow getting restarted, Virgin have just lost 7 planes overnight from their fleet that were covering flights from all of their airports and do not have readymade replacements...its hard to find positivity, with the airlines taking massive hits, there is a possibility that new fleet orders will have to be kicked into the long grass, passenger numbers will be cut by social distancing etc.

Don't be surprised to see them operate from only 2 airports when they start up again.

Edited at 09:41 PM.
thatdavieguy is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 20, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by thatdavieguy View Post
Its a 2nd, it definitely isn't going to Orlando and neither is the 1st.

All of the 747s have been moved away from London and are now in storage at GLA (2) and MAN. All bar 2 (1 at each location) are leased, so with them being retired they will be de-branded and handed back to the owner

Those who are seeking positivity about Glasgow getting restarted, Virgin have just lost 7 planes overnight from their fleet that were covering flights from all of their airports and do not have readymade replacements...its hard to find positivity, with the airlines taking massive hits, there is a possibility that new fleet orders will have to be kicked into the long grass, passenger numbers will be cut by social distancing etc.

Don't be surprised to see them operate from only 2 airports when they start up again.
Maybe I’m being naive but I’d like to think they would have announced that they were withdrawing from Glasgow at the same time as the Gatwick announcement.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 20, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Unicorn13x
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Not sure if it was on this post or another one on page. There was one from someone who had contacted Virgin and they said flights from Glasgow to Orlando would be up and running once commercial flights are allowed.
Unicorn13x is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Unicorn13x View Post
Not sure if it was on this post or another one on page. There was one from someone who had contacted Virgin and they said flights from Glasgow to Orlando would be up and running once commercial flights are allowed.
I've seen Virgin putting out lots of replies about Glasgow & Belfast that no announcement has been put out for regional services and they will put it out when they have one to make, it seems someone is putting out incorrect info.

IMO they should have announced for all airports at once but haven't, its pretty poor but whats clear is that when Virgin begin flying again they will be focusing on LHR & MAN, the regional airports are small bits of business to them.
Old 8 May 20, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by thatdavieguy View Post
I've seen Virgin putting out lots of replies about Glasgow & Belfast that no announcement has been put out for regional services and they will put it out when they have one to make, it seems someone is putting out incorrect info.

IMO they should have announced for all airports at once but haven't, its pretty poor but whats clear is that when Virgin begin flying again they will be focusing on LHR & MAN, the regional airports are small bits of business to them.
Not sure about Glasgow, but the Belfast/Orlando route is seasonal - running one flight per week for a few months and the other for a the summer months only.

Given that this summer is pretty much a dead duck given it is unlikely the US/Florida will be open for business to international travellers until the winter - I think this is the Belfast route gone.

Shame as it was pretty handy for us. But It was hassle for VS having to run multiple relocating flights per week for this route.

I agree they should have made a wholistic announcement rather than the half baked announcement they did make.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
Maybe I’m being naive but I’d like to think they would have announced that they were withdrawing from Glasgow at the same time as the Gatwick announcement.
Virgin don't have a base at either GLA or BFS but did at LGW hence why nothing has been said about the former 2. It doesn't matter where the aircraft comes from to operate the 1 or 2xweekly flights from GLA or BFS. If these routes are profitable, which in theory they should be seeing how expensive they can be, they may continue.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

It will be a shame if they don't resume the Glasgow route as they were planning on extending to make it a year round one.
Appreciate you can still go indirect with KLM or Delta but not for me I'm afraid.
The return drive from Manchester is a nightmare too.
Old 8 May 20, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
g1970
Imagineer

g1970's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Not sure whats going on with Virgin but I get a daily price watch on my flight from Glasgow in September, and it jumped from £585 to £2585 today.

When doing a dummy booking for my dates, its only showing upper class as available

Dates are 25/9 - 9/10

Edited at 11:52 AM.
g1970 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List