Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Aug 20, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Willeve
Imagineer

BA leaving Gatwick permanently?

I know BA have withdrawn from Gatwick for now, but is it permanent? I’m looking for flights to Vegas for April and Gatwick flights are still on sale. Really want to go from Heathrow, Gatwick considerably cheaper.
Willeve is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 20, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

BA will operate depending on demand.

Demand to a great extent is determined by Mr Covid, and only he knows what the future holds.

For my money, I will go to the cheapest London Airport, LHR or LGW. From a selfish view point I want LGW to start to thrive again as soon as possible.

Disney332
Old 21 Aug 20, 04:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

BA has not completely withdrawn from LGW. There are still a few long haul flights operating to the Caribbean (from the North terminal).

There is no BA short haul from LGW until at least November (apart from a few code share flights operated by Vueling and Air Baltic). The USA flights are all cancelled for now, primarily due to the fact that of the destinations operated from LGW, currently only JFK is allowed to receive international flights (and it's more important to BA to keep the LHR flights operating, so LGW-JFK route is suspended). When the borders reopen to a greater extent, that may change.

As for the OP's hope of a shift to LHR, that is of course possible. If the price difference is big enough, you could book LGW and hope for a cancellation which would likely get you a free rebooking from LHR, but naturally it is not guaranteed and a risk you'd have to take.

BA's operation at LGW will be materially smaller than before, even once things reopen. That's a simple numbers game based on the staff cuts and the need to maintain LHR slots. Where the service reductions will be, remains to be seen.

Edited at 04:43 PM.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 20, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
baboons
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
Demand to a great extent is determined by Mr Covid, and only he knows what the future holds.

Disney332
I'm now imagining Mr Covid as a grumpy old man with top hat and monocle, a sinister rip-off of Mr Peanut.

I really need a holiday.
baboons is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 20, 05:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Willeve
Imagineer

Thanks all.
Willeve is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 20, 05:53 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
I’m seeing prices for next summer from LGW to MCO? So still operating?
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 20, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by toonarmani View Post
I’m seeing prices for next summer from LGW to MCO? So still operating?
BA have scheduled daily from LHR BA 205 and BA 2037/2039 from Gatwick. Whether these actually operate remains to be seen.

Edited at 06:07 PM.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 20, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
kevbrydon
VIP Dibber

kevbrydon's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We are still due to fly from LGW to MCO this October (30th) so not cancelled yet lol...
Old 21 Aug 20, 06:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

I'm looking at May next year. BA have 2 flights from Gatwick to MCO on my date (morning and afternoon) and one from Heathrow (afternoon). I prefer Gatwick. I can't drive and can get a direct train to Gatwick but not to Heathrow. Xx
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List