Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Oct 20, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Have you ever been locked out of your house/home.

As the title really. DH had moved the spare key, typically on the day I couldn't find my key. Fortunately DS was home and came over and let me in.
Old 21 Oct 20, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

when I was a teenager
luckily there was a small window open and I managed to figure out a way to get in by making a hook and lifting the latch on the big window so I could climb in that way but it did make me realise just how easy it could be for someone to break in. We never left the small window open when we went out after that.

My son in law is always locking himself out as their door has one of those self locking latches
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
LostPrincess
Serious Dibber

My husband has. We had been living with my parents for years while we were saving for a deposit, finally moved into our own place and then that very week he locked himself out.

He was WFH and I was at work, and he went for a run on his lunch break. Got back and realised he had taken the house key off his set of keys and forgotten to put it back on. He phoned me in a panic (like seriously panicking, you'd think he'd set the place on fire!), thinking he'd have to wait 6 hours outside for me to get home.

I reminded him that he had his car key on him, and the house key to my parents', so he could drive there and pick up our spare key.

He's a donut, but to be fair, between us we do a lot of stupid things
LostPrincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
vanlou
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 40
I haven’t locked myself out, but I did lock myself in my mums house once. The lock was a bit temperamental and I ended up having to climb out the living room window

DLP Aug 2004 SQL, Dec 2007 HNY, Dec 2008 DLH
WDW Aug 2011 POFQ/RPR, Aug 2014 - HRH/POFQ
August 2014 trip report - Er, where's the rain?
vanlou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

I’ve ended up locked in 3 times. I leave my house keys in my glove box if I’m going somewhere I haven’t got anywhere to put them - gym, horse riding etc. Then by the time I get home, OH would be home and I wouldn’t have to unlock the door. 3x I’ve forgotten to get my keys out of the glovebox. OH used to leave for work before me and he’d lock me in as I’d still be asleep.

Had to call my dad each time to come and let me out. The stress is that I never realised until I tried to leave!
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
TigerLily8
VIP Dibber

Yes! Went to work (30 miles away) and my coat got locked in another office with my keys in the pocket. I didn't realise my keys were in the pocket at the time, it was only when I got home around 9pm and tried to get in the house I realised what had happened This happened on the exact same day my partner had gone to work in Iraq for 2 months so I had to drive to my parents and sleep there, have them wash my clothes so I could go back to work the next day and collect my keys
TigerLily8 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 20, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
I’ve ended up locked in 3 times. I leave my house keys in my glove box if I’m going somewhere I haven’t got anywhere to put them - gym, horse riding etc. Then by the time I get home, OH would be home and I wouldn’t have to unlock the door. 3x I’ve forgotten to get my keys out of the glovebox. OH used to leave for work before me and he’d lock me in as I’d still be asleep.

Had to call my dad each time to come and let me out. The stress is that I never realised until I tried to leave!
Do you not have a back door you could use?

From a safety view it is not good to have to unlock a door in case of an emergency
Old 21 Oct 20, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

Once to had my handbag stolen in town. My phone and randomly (thankfully) my train tickets were in my pocket. I arrived home a while before DH did though (although he had set off ASAP to meet me and let me in!). That’s the only time though.
Old 21 Oct 20, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Yes I have back in November 1986
I had my driving test that day and my mind was full of the Highway Code and hoping I’d get the questions right.
I closed the door behind me and instantly realised I’d left my purse in the house with the key in it.
I took the children to school then walked almost 2 miles to a friends house where I managed to phone my driving instructor to let him know where I was.
Couldn’t phone DH as he’s a market trader no mobile phones in those days and he was 20 miles away.
I went for my test which I passed picked up the children went home and we sat in the shed until DH got home at 6pm
I never did it again
Old 21 Oct 20, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Yes, we did years ago, we were on holiday in Spain and somehow I managed to lose the house keys, we arrived home in the early hours and a locksmith was waiting for us 🙄
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List