Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 25 Oct 20, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
LadyAurora
Excited about Disney

Geocaching

So we're just back from our fab holiday to Madeira where we noticed there were a few who were geocaching and this has caught my interest but know nothing really about it only what I can google.

At 53 and 54 are we too old? Is it fun?

Any info or experience would be great, thanks
LadyAurora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
traceylou1972
Apprentice Imagineer

traceylou1972's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Hi

We did at Centre Parcs last year - I had never heard of it before! . But it was great fun, we were a mixed aged group ranging from 21 to 50 (I was 47 at the time) I would love to do it again but wouldn't know where to start.
If you get chance to do it, I would definitely recommend.

Tracey
Cheyenne Aug 01, Circus Dec 03 ,DCR Dec 04, Magic Circus Dec 05, Kyriad NYE 07, Sequoia Feb 08, Val de Eur Jun 08, Cheyenne Oct 08, Magic Circus Jul 09, DH Feb 10, Newport Bay Feb 11, Kryiad Nov 11, Circus Jan 13 Sept 93 I Drive, Jul 07 Villa,Apr 09 Villa, Oct 10 Villa, Apr 11 Cruise & Villa, Xmas 11 Villa, July 12 Villa, Apr 14 Villa, Apr 15 Cruise & Villa, Dec 15 Villa, Aug 17 Villa & Cruise, Oct 18 Villa, Aug 19
traceylou1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Never too old I think.

In fact as I get older i enjoy it more, excuse to be out rambling and enjoying exploring places that might otherwise have passed me by.

Younger kids were far more into the mystery or treasure trails, now sometimes but more the exploration.

It's truly international too. Go for it. You don't have to spend a fortune, or hide or swap, just seek.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

There are a couple of threads on here over the years but for obvious reasons not a lot. Just look at the website to find ones near you.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
HFJohnson
Imagineer

I haven't done it for a while but I love geocaching. It's a great way to explore different places nearby and find new places to walk.

When I started a few years ago we used a hand held GPS but I think it's probably easier now to download the app. You can then find geocaches near you. You can also look on the website.

Some can be really creative, some are big and some are tiny! I would try and start with caches with higher ratings and ones that are easier to find and go from there.
HFJohnson is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

We do it with friends when we go camping and it makes for a nice walk.

Friends do it all the time as dog owners. It gives them new routes and things to do along the way.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

geocaching/play

Have a look for one near you and then go for a walk to try and find it.

The app has a GPS to show you how close you are.

There are options you can pay for but we have always used the free option.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
We are geocachers and love it for all the reasons given above. It's something additional to do on a long country walk which we do once a week since we got our pup last September.

We check out geocaching routes which have incorporated a pub garden lunch over the summer. We use our phones so have the app and started out with just the free version, but as we picked up more and more caches, the local supply became increasingly sparse and we ended up paying for premium membership because that unlocks a lock of membership only caches. Its only about £20 for the year so not much for what we get out of it.

Debra
Old 25 Oct 20, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

Ive got to admit I've never heard of it before and reading the first few posts I initially thought it may have something relating to swingers. 😂😂😂😂😂
But did just click on the link and phew ! I was wrong. 😂
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 20, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Clamshell
Imagineer

The geocaching app has got a lot better over the years. It’s great fun and there are some ingenious caches out there. There are also a lot of soggy Tupperware pots hidden in hedges, but those make the clever ones all the more fun to find.

A great way to add some fun to a walk and to help find new places

Phantom thread-killer of Old London Town 😁
Clamshell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List