Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Old 11 Jun 18, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
BenjiBearOne
Earning My Ears

Clearwater Beach in August

Hi,1st timers going last 2 weeks of August and trying to squeeze in a coach trip to Clearwater Beach from I Drive.Using it as a rest day,am I mad to want to go the beach at the hottest time of the year,would it be unbearable on the beach and would people that have been already class it as a rest day or is it an exhausting day.Thanks so much
BenjiBearOne is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 18, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Waveney
Trying for More Ears

Clearwater Beach in August

We were first timers when we went to Florida for the last 2 weeks of August in 2015 and we wanted to do a day trip to Clearwater Beach, which we did (we drove ourselves though) and it wasn't totally exhausting. We found it relaxing with time on the beach, swimming and a trip on the Seascreamer to see the dolphins. Two years later we were also in Florida for the last 2 weeks of August and this time had a day and a night at Clearwater Beach to hopefully see the sunset which we'd heard would be amazing but unfortunately it poured down from about 7-10pm after being glorious all day! Again very relaxing but very hot - the sea is very welcome and we spent a lot of time in it!
Waveney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 18, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisatink
Getting Excited

Mobile

We have been to Clearwater twice for an overnight stay. We stayed in the Hilton which is on the beach.
The sand is dazzling and the sea is refreshing and relaxing. The first time we went we booked a Dolphin tour on the Little Toot which we discovered whilst walking around the marina. We saw lots of Dolphins which was Great! Pier 60 was great with lots of Little stalls and street entertainers. We are at Crabbies which was lovely.
The second time we visited there was a massive storm so the Pier was shut down which is a shame. The good points were cocktails in the Tikki bar which is situated on the beach and Dolphins topping whilst we swam in the sea.
This year we are staying for the last 3 days of the holiday. We are planning on fishing from the Pier and relaxing after 12 busy days of Disney.
One day would be great but an overnight stay would allow you to experience the sunset and the evening attractions. ( so long as it isn't raining) x
Lisatink is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 18, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
BenjiBearOne
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much for your feedback,very helpful
BenjiBearOne is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 18, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
hallamdisneyfan
Earning More Ears

Hi, I'm planning an Orlando trip in July/August 2019. We want to go for 16 days and are thinking of having a couple of days in the middle of the holiday at Busch Gardens and Clearwater beach.
The kids (DD17 and DS12) are clamouring to go to BG so thinking of going at a weekend to take advantage of the Summer Nights late night - then sleeping in a local hotel, then the next morning drive to Clearwater, visit the Clearwater Marine Aquarium (me and the kid's have seen the film Winter's Tale) and spending the afternoon on the beach/in the sea. Then drive back to the Orlando area and check into a Universal hotel.

Does this sound too much?

I'm thinking that the 3-4 hours on the beach will be very restful but it has been said to me that to properly relax we should have longer at Clearwater - but the reality is that the kids want theme parks, and we're struggling to get it all in anyway in 16 days.
hallamdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 18, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
alanshelly
slightly serious Dibber

alanshelly's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We went to sand key park clearwater the other day, had been in the water for about 15 minutes before a storm rolled in, beach evacuated, it was like a sandstorm! cleared in about 30 minutes, then had a drive down to st pete's and back in the sea again, I don't know what days coach trips go there but personally I would avoid weekends, it's usually mega busy.
alanshelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 18, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
3family
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We went last year in August on a Saturday. It wasn’t that busy at all. Traffic getting onto the peninsula but no problem getting parking and we spend a couple of hours there before heading to St Pete’s for baseball (Tampa Bay Rays)

It was no hotter than a park day and me and the little one spent most of it in the sea while Mrs 3family lay down and chilled
Old 12 Jun 18, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

We did a day there in August, and then to baseball in the evening. Glad we went...however...

It was so hot, we hired a sun tent and chairs, but unbearable. A dip in sea (which was full of seaweed - I guess from previous nights storm?) didn't help - was like a hot bath! We got changed our of swim wear in car (not great fun!).

We have been to Vero beach, and that was sooo much better (and closer). Sea was refreshingly cool, and restaurant right on the beach (Mulligans Beach Bar - fab with live music).

This year we were doing a beach day, but decided to do Discovery cove instead for our relaxing day - we would really only last a couple of hrs on beach - and Clearwater is a long drive for that. No hotter than a park day, but no air con to escape into!
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 3family View Post
We went last year in August on a Saturday. It wasn’t that busy at all. Traffic getting onto the peninsula but no problem getting parking and we spend a couple of hours there before heading to St Pete’s for baseball (Tampa Bay Rays)

It was no hotter than a park day and me and the little one spent most of it in the sea while Mrs 3family lay down and chilled
July & August may not be as busy as other times of years as that is mega low season on the Gulf Coast.

Many friends from other parts of the US that we've spoken to shudder at going to Florida at that time of year, they just won't do it; others who live in Florida leave for the whole of July & August and go & stay with family etc elsewhere in the US!
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 18, 02:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I would definately book a boat trip while there to break the day up, when we went once you got to about waiste height you couldn't see the bottom by your feet and it's a pain having to find somewhere to get dry/changed if you need to
But the dolphins are worth these inconveniences
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List